Owner Tube Doubles?

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Bought a couple of packets of Owner Tube Fly Hooks (STD 36BC).
The hooks are quite light in the wire and I'm wondering now if they have a tendency to straighten?
Thanks
H

Rrrr

Reaction score
They seem stronger than they look. Never had one straighten with a fish or pulling for a snag with 15lb maxima.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

SteveG

Reaction score
They always catch my fingers well whenever I go near them, as people have said never had an issue with them straightening however they flex a little bit too much for me when I am unhooking sometimes a stiffer hook is easier to disgorge👍

Hibernicus

Reaction score
They always catch my fingers well whenever I go near them, as people have said never had an issue with them straightening however they flex a little bit too much for me when I am unhooking sometimes a stiffer hook is easier to disgorge👍
Now that you mention it, I can see how it might be easy to distort the hook when extracting it.
Nonetheless, three out of 4 is a good endorsement!
H

SteveG

Reaction score
Every time I go near them I think the fish stands no chance with these as I curse the little ....... 😂

Rainclouds

Reaction score
My favourite double. I like the wide angle between the points and they seem to sit great free swinging too. They hooked and held well for me last year but not with anything big.

Woodsy

Reaction score
I've straightened the trebles on snags....
That said, I can confidently say that they are very sharp!
FB_IMG_1611388180301.jpg

Last edited:

LanlishBrown

Reaction score
I would suggest testing them against other doubles you like. The test I perform is the bury both hook into some hard wood and then tie some 44lb seagaur to the hook eye and the other end to a spring balance that has the ability to record the maximum load. Then pull hard and ensure you are facing the other way. This test has proven the Owner doubles to be the strongest of any doubles I have tested. However I am always looking for something even stronger and therefore will keep testing.

SteveG

Reaction score
I would suggest testing them against other doubles you like. The test I perform is the bury both hook into some hard wood and then tie some 44lb seagaur to the hook eye and the other end to a spring balance that has the ability to record the maximum load. Then pull hard and ensure you are facing the other way. This test has proven the Owner doubles to be the strongest of any doubles I have tested. However I am always looking for something even stronger and therefore will keep testing.
What did they register on the test ?

LanlishBrown

Reaction score
Hi Steve, Can't remeber as it was quite a while ago I last tested, but what I do remeber is the Seagaur broke with the owner doubles. I then doubled up with the Seagaur (put through the eye and the hook on the scales twice) and the line held and the hook did bend out. Have a go, it is an easy test. I haven't tested the Ahrex hooks yet so may get round to testing them soon.

paddymc

Reaction score
Hi Steve, Can't remeber as it was quite a while ago I last tested, but what I do remeber is the Seagaur broke with the owner doubles. I then doubled up with the Seagaur (put through the eye and the hook on the scales twice) and the line held and the hook did bend out. Have a go, it is an easy test. I haven't tested the Ahrex hooks yet so may get round to testing them soon.
Hi, curious to know if you have tried this with the Guideline doubles?

wormo

Reaction score
Bought a couple of packets of Owner Tube Fly Hooks (STD 36BC).
The hooks are quite light in the wire and I'm wondering now if they have a tendency to straighten?
Thanks
H
I've stopped using the trebles as no confidence in them , not for bending but over the last two seasons me and my mate lost alot of fish after seemingly being "well on" , may be coincidence but once changed brand the majority stuck on the new hooks

Rrrr

Reaction score
I've stopped using the trebles as no confidence in them , not for bending but over the last two seasons me and my mate lost alot of fish after seemingly being "well on" , may be coincidence but once changed brand the majority stuck on the new hooks
I use the owner doubles with no issues but prefer the kamasans for trebbles.

gweb

Reaction score
I like Owner trebles but now going exclusively with Kamasan B990's. A good bit cheaper and a more than adequate performance in terms of hook hold and strength.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I like Owner trebles but now going exclusively with Kamasan B990's. A good bit cheaper and a more than adequate performance in terms of hook hold and strength.
The kamasans are more than up to the job. Also they dont have that habbit of getting stuck in fingers like the owners.

LanlishBrown

Reaction score
Hi Paddymc, yes, did test the majority of double hooks on the market at the time. The Ahrex were new'ish and I didn't have any to test, need to get round to that at some point.

x-rap

Reaction score
The kamasans are more than up to the job. Also they dont have that habbit of getting stuck in fingers like the owners.

Love Kamasan trebles, only one issue, the smallest size is a 14, too big to go through a 10mm hole for fishing after dark. Size 18 Owner trebles go through no problem.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Love Kamasan trebles, only one issue, the smallest size is a 14, too big to go through a 10mm hole for fishing after dark. Size 18 Owner trebles go through no problem.
Ive got some little gold vmc micro trebles for night time. Not sure which model number or size but they seem decent.

Loxie

Reaction score
It's a real shame they don't make 16's, 18's and 20's.