Owner hooks

Isisalar

Reaction score
In my local tackle shop the other day to pick up some Owner trebles and was dismayed to be told that he didn't have any because the distributor had given up handling Owner hooks. A large distributor so there could be a shortage in the near future unless another takes their place.
No shortage on Ebay, I picked up 3 packs of the red size 8's for shrimping. If anyone's a fan might be worth stocking up.

Isisalar

Reaction score
That's why I like them. As sharp as a hook could possibly be and with enough 'give' to straighten out if snagged on a log, rock or similar. I have had them slightly distorted by biggish Salmon but not enough to loose one.
Anyway, just a heads up that there may be a shortage in the near future.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I have a number of packs, rarely use trebles, except when grilse show up, much prefer a size 2 single, especially when decent size fish are present, no risk of straightening one of those and they do hang on very well.
peter

Mattytree

Reaction score
I’ve lost at least two decent fish to owners straightening, would not buy any more.
guideline ,Apex ,fulling mill, osprey,kasman basically anything other than owners !

westie4566

Reaction score
Same as above. Lost fish due the wee trebles breaking at the gape, wouldn't go near them again

mkb

Reaction score
I have used owners in fresh and saltwater and always found them very reliable, they are my go to hook but they do come in a range of strengths. They use a rating system and the ST36 is their lightest 1X treble which I would use for sea trout, if I hooked a salmon on one I’d play it gently. If I’m targeting salmon over 10lbs I use their 2X the ST41 which is probably all you would ever need strength wise in the UK as it’s made from a slightly heavier wire. I’ve used the ST66 rated 4X and ST76 rated 5X in tropical waters for big predators and they are excellent probably the best hook I’ve used. If you keep in mind the strength X rating and match this to the size of target fish I can’t see you going wrong with Owners.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
The ST41,s are proper hooks, no bending them, the 36,s are a tad willowy, but for smaller fish on light gear no problem. There are many out there, I have used Savage gear and Drennan hooks for years without issue, the Kamasan tube trebles B998, have a good reputation, worth a look, but do try a carp single, preferably barbless/debarbed, short shank seem easier to remove, but if deep hooked, which does happen on occasion, I will cut the leader as close as I can and let the fish shed it (often in the net whilst resting!), not happy doing it with a deep seated treble, hence there use by me is rare.
peter

airsprite

Reaction score
I really like Owner hooks, and have had some nice fish on them without any issues. I mostly use small STN-36BC trebles.
Im sure, Salmon sometimes take hold and eject our flies without us feeling anything. I really feel the sharpness of the hooks make a huge difference as the fish would find it very hard to eject them.
I always keep the hooks in the foam boxes, as rattling round in a box would soon dull the sharpness.

Steve