Over rated Century Steath

Springer

Reaction score
Just to add to this, I have a 14' 9/10 which I get on with well but I have one gripe. After using it two seasons ago for a whole weeks fishing - joints taped and left up for the week - when I came to dismantle the rod I nor any of my mates could budge the bottom joint. In the end I had to bring it home still joined together. Contacted Century who told me to cut the rod above the joint and send it back. They sent me a new upper joint but this still proves difficult to get apart. I'm afraid I have lost confidence in it which is a great shame cos it suited me with a modified underhand style of casting.

Don't push the joint together as tightly, that will solve the problem immediately, if your using tape you just need a gentle interference fit, nothing more. Unlike most far eastern rods these joints are fitted properly by hand by experts, they don't work loose easily in daily use because they fit extremely well with a much larger than average contact area.

I never ever taped any of the joints and I fished many times for a week with no problems, sometimes longer.

Gary Mclellan

Reaction score
i found this also with the new cross range from loop.

they stay tight All day long, no tape, no wax, no nothing

a little snug push and away ye go!

river keeper 85

Reaction score
Thanks Alan. I must admit that the guys at Century, who were most helpful, did say don't push the joints together too hard. I have always taped my rods with a sort of in built fear that they would twist apart or break. Century did say they had sprayed Carbaflo lightly on the new joint before they returned it and advised that I used some before putting the rod together. I assume it has a graphite base a bit like Gary' pencil !
Mike.

Springer

Reaction score
Just leave the joint dry and don't force them together too hard and you will be fine.

Surface area contact is what keeps a joint together, the more you have the better. I have seen rubbish from the far east that would be lucky if 20% contact was made between the walls of the female and male section. That is why so many people end up forcing joints and have to tape rods.

A well and correctly fitted joint wont need taping in my experience and I never did with the Century rods, however a belt and braces approach does no harm if it makes you feel more secure.

The very fact you couldn't pull a joint apart shows how accurate their joint grinding is!

ibm59

Reaction score
Had a problem with Century's website when trying to order a line today.
It reckoned Ayrshire was the same place as Antrim.:rolleyes:

Sent them an email , and they called back within 10mins.

Order taken over phone.
Job done.:)

PETEY

Reaction score
Had a problem with Century's website when trying to order a line today.
It reckoned Ayrshire was the same place as Antrim.:rolleyes:

Sent them an email , and they called back within 10mins.

Order taken over phone.
Job done.:)

Sure , did you not know that Ayrshire is an annexe of County Antrim?:D

ibm59

Reaction score
Sure , did you not know that Ayrshire is an annexe of County Antrim?:D

Unfortunately , I'm reminded of that very fact in the middle of July each year.:rolleyes:;)

Line ordered Friday , delivered Saturday.
Can't get better than that.:)

bankwheel

Reaction score
Thanks to rrw35 for lending me his Stealth 13 footer for a couple of weeks, I've been dying to try one of these rods for ages.
First look at the rod and I was surprised at the quality on show, only gripe is a lack of alignment marks on the ferrules but if you can't line a rod up by now then you shouldn't be fishing.
I've only had a quick throw for 15 minutes down the river tonight, I stuck on a 9/10 38g AFS with a fair upstream wind, casts were easy and shot out with no effort, if I compare it to my 14 foot Cross then I would say it's a fair bit stiffer and feels as if it has loads of power, it feels like it would need a 10/11 to load it properly but that's probably because I'm used to the Cross which loads easier. Ill report back when I've had a bit more time with it but so far I'm well impressed

And I'm filling up my piggy bank as well

rs2ford

Reaction score
Thanks to rrw35 for lending me his Stealth 13 footer for a couple of weeks, I've been dying to try one of these rods for ages.
First look at the rod and I was surprised at the quality on show, only gripe is a lack of alignment marks on the ferrules but if you can't line a rod up by now then you shouldn't be fishing.
I've only had a quick throw for 15 minutes down the river tonight, I stuck on a 9/10 38g AFS with a fair upstream wind, casts were easy and shot out with no effort, if I compare it to my 14 foot Cross then I would say it's a fair bit stiffer and feels as if it has loads of power, it feels like it would need a 10/11 to load it properly but that's probably because I'm used to the Cross which loads easier. Ill report back when I've had a bit more time with it but so far I'm well impressed

Lol Glyn..have you been on the sauce:D..it was mine you borrowed:).
Make sure it comes back to me and not rrw35:rolleyes:.

Cheers Diarmid.

bankwheel

Reaction score
Ha ha, sorry bud rrw35 sent mea PM that's why it stuck in my head, will be working until Tuesday then ill give the rod another throw. Ill then get it back to you
Cheers mate
Glyn

PETEY

Reaction score

If you look just above the handle and on the "female" part of each section, there is a printed number (391 on my rod ) - these all align / act as alignment marks.

rs2ford

Reaction score
Ha ha, sorry bud rrw35 sent mea PM that's why it stuck in my head, will be working until Tuesday then ill give the rod another throw. Ill then get it back to you
Cheers mate
Glyn

No problem Glyn, highly recommend you try a 540 Rage or 540 Scandi Compact:cool:
Cheers Diarmid.