Over rated Century Steath

Bawheid

Reaction score
If anyone wants to sell their 14ft 9wt Hardy Marksman 2T i would be very interested in buying one. You can never have too many rods:rolleyes:

Cheers Diarmid.

haha, not a chance mate, where did that come from?

Grilse Boy

Reaction score
Loved the 12 ft ,a superb tool for casting and i must say fishing.
It is not a rod for the novice.
Tried most of the stealth range and to me it was top dog.

Could not agree more best rod I have ever used that's why it has never been in the classifieds, :cool::cool::cool::cool:and my goto rod all year round loves the Mach 55 11 weight and all my shooting heads.

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
century 13 8/9/10

Well here goes, I wouldn't class myself as a novice but definitely not an expert either.
After a great deal of thought and reading of reports I finally decided to plump for the 13fter.
My thoughts on the rod after a couple of small sessions out are this. Nicely built rod with good quality fittings.It throws my rio afs outbound as far as I do with my 14fter.
The rod is what I would class a middle to tip so hence the reason why it will probably handle a nice spey line as well as it does the rio.
4 piece rod so fits in the boot of the car nicely out of sight. Not had it bent yet but looks tho it will handle a fish nicely.
I have one gripe and it really only a small thing, I would have preferred a rod tube and a nice rod bag, giving you the opportunity to leave the rod tube at home if you were only travelling a small distance to fish.
Well it took me a while to decide to go for this rod but I am well impressed thus far.

chris

Bucktail Bob

Banned
Reaction score
I've had a fling with one of these and have to say the next rod i buy will be a Stealth, it suits my style and it casts a great line, i doubt there is much if any better on market at twice the price of the stealth.

British made and proves we know how to make a fly rod IMO.

Last edited:

smokie999

Reaction score
Well here goes, I wouldn't class myself as a novice but definitely not an expert either.
After a great deal of thought and reading of reports I finally decided to plump for the 13fter.
My thoughts on the rod after a couple of small sessions out are this. Nicely built rod with good quality fittings.It throws my rio afs outbound as far as I do with my 14fter.
The rod is what I would class a middle to tip so hence the reason why it will probably handle a nice spey line as well as it does the rio.
4 piece rod so fits in the boot of the car nicely out of sight. Not had it bent yet but looks tho it will handle a fish nicely.
I have one gripe and it really only a small thing, I would have preferred a rod tube and a nice rod bag, giving you the opportunity to leave the rod tube at home if you were only travelling a small distance to fish.
Well it took me a while to decide to go for this rod but I am well impressed thus far.

chris

I felt the same as you about the rod sock so had one made by the lady in the link below and then bought a plastic tube from local tackle shop.She has the correct sizes for the century 13' as she did mine and it fits a treat,well made too.apologies to anyone who tried the last e-mail address for the rod sock I gave the wrong one out I have now corrected that error

ellen.lawrence345@btinternet.com

Last edited:

kgm

Reaction score
I've had a fling with one of these and have to say the next rod i buy will be a stealth, it suits my style and it casts a great line, i doubt there is much if any better on market at twice the price of the stealth.

I may well get slaughtered for this but the 13'6 Bloke trebuchet with a 38g line, is very difficult to beat for the money and it British made.

smokie999

Reaction score
I may well get slaughtered for this but the 13'6 Bloke trebuchet with a 38g line, is very difficult to beat for the money and it British made.

I was under the impression the blank for that rod was made in the far east ,I maybe wrong

Springer

Reaction score
I've had a fling with one of these and have to say the next rod i buy will be a Stealth, it suits my style and it casts a great line, i doubt there is much if any better on market at twice the price of the stealth.

I will take that as a compliment :eek:

kgm

Reaction score
I was under the impression the blank for that rod was made in the far east ,I maybe wrong

A UK company so designed, developed and constructed in the UK that I know off is maybe what I should have said, not that that would influence my buying decision either way.

I don't know about the blank but would guess that it's maybe toray carbon. I think century and harrison are the only Uk blank producers. Where do we draw the line, were does the carbon cloth come from ? where does the resin come from ? where are they put together for manufacture ? where was it designed, where was it assembled ? etc etc etc

Springer

Reaction score
A UK company so designed, developed and constructed in the UK that I know off is maybe what I should have said, not that that would influence my buying decision either way.

I don't know about the blank but would guess that it's maybe toray carbon. I think century and harrison are the only Uk blank producers. Where do we draw the line, were does the carbon cloth come from ? where does the resin come from ? where are they put together for manufacture ? where was it designed, where was it assembled ? etc etc etc

Bloke could not be considered British Kenny, they are bought from China like most of the others out there.

Bucktail Bob

Banned
Reaction score
I will take that as a compliment :eek:

I think you deserve credit for it for sure, i know you were involved with the design of the rod so you should be proud of how it turned out.

They are becoming very popular with some saying better than than rods like the loop cross 1 which is a rod that will set you back just short of a grand!

Say no more.

smokie999

Reaction score
I cannot understand why Century has not pushed the Century range more, they seem to have let the range sink into oblivion. They had a top class product that given the correct advertising campaign could have taken on the major suppliers of salmon rods. Surely they are big enough to compete in the salmon rod side of things they have a great rep in the sea and carp rod areas.

smokie999

Reaction score
I felt the same as you about the rod sock so had one made by the lady in the link below and then bought a plastic tube from local tackle shop.She has the correct sizes for the century 13' as she did mine and it fits a treat,well made too.apologies to anyone who tried the last e-mail address for the rod sock I gave the wrong one out I have now corrected that error

it looks as though this e-mail is incorrect also although at the time I contacted her both the previous e-mails addresses where ok .She must have changed them so has anyone got her new one

bob

Last edited:

speers

Reaction score
correct have just sorted it I copied and pasted the link from my last contact with them how it happened I do not know

when I bought my 14 century it came in a very good rod tube with all the cut outs to take the weights,
does the smaller 12,6 and 13 not come with a tube?

smokie999

Reaction score
when I bought my 14 century it came in a very good rod tube with all the cut outs to take the weights,
does the smaller 12,6 and 13 not come with a tube?
yes it does but Iwas not keen on how the sections could rattle around in the original tube so I went for a rod sock which obviously would not then go in the original tube so got a cheepo one from the local tackle shop

bankwheel

Reaction score
Tell me more about the action of the 13 footer, would you class it as fast or more of a through action?

I would love to try one of these

smokie999

Reaction score
Tell me more about the action of the 13 footer, would you class it as fast or more of a through action?

I would love to try one of these
if you do a forum search there is an obundance of info on the 13' ,think one of the members did a very detailed revue .Why not order one and try it ,you have the option to return it if you are not satisfied

smokie999

Reaction score

to ease any confusion the above is now corrected and is the e-mail at which ellen can be contacted I verified it this morning

river keeper 85

Reaction score
New angle !

Just to add to this, I have a 14' 9/10 which I get on with well but I have one gripe. After using it two seasons ago for a whole weeks fishing - joints taped and left up for the week - when I came to dismantle the rod I nor any of my mates could budge the bottom joint. In the end I had to bring it home still joined together. Contacted Century who told me to cut the rod above the joint and send it back. They sent me a new upper joint but this still proves difficult to get apart. I'm afraid I have lost confidence in it which is a great shame cos it suited me with a modified underhand style of casting.