Over rated Century Steath

Bawheid

Reaction score
The stand out rod for me was the 13' Century Stealth

Maybe just me but I think the rod is over-rated. Very heavy compared to my other rods and not very forgiving. Its also cost me 12 sessions at my local chiropractor as I put my back out and was getting migraines because of it.

Everyone on the Century Hype Train...toot toot :p

D

Deleted member 1812

Its also cost me 12 sessions at my local chiropractor as I put my back out and was getting migraines because of it

I was involved in a serious car accident back in 2010 when a 10 tonne wagon piled into the pack of a Mitsubishi Shogun I was driving.The vehicle was a right off and I had shoulder injuries and lower back problems for a year or so after.
I had 10 sessions of physio and went to see a chiropractor.
Sounds like you had similar injuries to me and you were only using a fly rod!!
Have you ever considered casting lessons??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bawheid

Reaction score
I was involved in a serious car accident back in 2010 when a 10 tonne wagon piled into the pack of a Mitsubishi Shogun I was driving.The vehicle was a right off and I had shoulder injuries and lower back problems for a year or so after.

You dont need to have a serious accident to see a chiro Simon! Your spinal alignment can be put out with your general posture creating numerous ailments not normally associated with the spine.:rolleyes:

Casting lessons yeah your right too bloody expensive though. Strangely I can fish my Hardy Marksman for 22 days solid without a twitch and 1 day of the Century and I was crippled :confused:

Only my experience of course YMMV

Springer

Reaction score
Maybe just me but I think the rod is over-rated. Very heavy compared to my other rods and not very forgiving. Its also cost me 12 sessions at my local chiropractor as I put my back out and was getting migraines because of it.

Mmmm - highly unlikely.

You dont need to have a serious accident to see a chiro Simon! Your spinal alignment can be put out with your general posture creating numerous ailments not normally associated with the spine.:rolleyes:

Casting lessons yeah your right too bloody expensive though. Strangely I can fish my Hardy Marksman for 22 days solid without a twitch and 1 day of the Century and I was crippled :confused:

Only my experience of course YMMV

Now your making more sense!

Riverbeds are great for creating this kind of situation regarding posture and alignment/twisting of the spine. When you combine this with the use of excess effort as a replacement for proper technique it can lead to all sorts of problems.

I remember once myself about 15yrs ago grabbing a sneaky cast at 4am on the day of my 2 week holiday to Spain. I made a couple of casts at the first pool and felt a twinge in my lower back, 5 mins later I could hardly walk! I spent the first week of my holiday mainly on my back while overdosing on codeine. I managed to see a chiropractor that morning before my evening flight and she said it could have been caused by anything I had been doing in the days before and that even a gentle cast while twisting slightly wrongly would be enough to set things off. Sometimes even a sneeze or a fright is enough to trigger a nasty spinal injury.

The 13' Century Stealth is without doubt less forgiving than a Hardy Marksman, it has a faster action and was designed that way, its like comparing apples with oranges, both nice but different.

I have no doubt whatsoever you caused your own back injury through whatever reason, it had nothing to do with the rod you were using at the time, it could have been any rod you were casting and it was still going to happen.

Reaction score
Casting lessons yeah your right too bloody expensive though.

Not compared to the cost of a Chiropractor!!!

Maybe judging by your location, the migraine's were caused by the fact that it was designed by a Geordie:p

Only joking:D

How much of a weight difference is there between your rods and the Stealth?

Springer

Reaction score
Maybe judging by your location, the migraine's were caused by the fact that it was designed by a Geordie:p

Aye, the same one who's casting lessons are bloody expensive.

I much prefer to think of them as reassuringly expensive, peanuts/monkeys - Im sure you know the rest. As for the Century Stealth, if your not happy then stick it in classifieds for and watch the scrabble.

ps, hope your back is better now :)

keirstream

Reaction score

Depends what you mean by overrated Lechy.
I had half a dozen casts with Grilse Boy's 12ft 9in pride and joy a couple of weeks ago.
Initial feeling on picking up the rod was that it was a casting tool , a heavy one at that and not a fishing rod. It felt stiff and soulless , just a stick and I knew instantly it was not for me.
When I actually cast it , after 3 casts and slowing everything down , a complete 40 yard line sailed out down to the backing splice and I never even felt any significant loading on the rod. The actual weight of the rod became much less of a problem really in that respect as the style required to cast the rod became so easy and laid back that I could have gone on and used it all day with no semblance of fatigue whatsoever . I think it would be necesarry to alter your style if you were to use it regularly , there would be no issues realy thereafter.
Back to my original point though. The rod lacks soul , it is a dead stick in my opinion , an out and out casting tool which may come to life with a heavy skagit line and T tips but that is not my bag. I'll stick to the Reaction just now.
No question though, it is a mighty tool which does what it says on the tin.:)

Springer

Reaction score
Depends what you mean by overrated Lechy.
I had half a dozen casts with Grilse Boy's 12ft 9in pride and joy a couple of weeks ago.
Initial feeling on picking up the rod was that it was a casting tool , a heavy one at that and not a fishing rod. It felt stiff and soulless , just a stick and I knew instantly it was not for me.
When I actually cast it , after 3 casts and slowing everything down , a complete 40 yard line sailed out down to the backing splice and I never even felt any significant loading on the rod. The actual weight of the rod became much less of a problem really in that respect as the style required to cast the rod became so easy and laid back that I could have gone on and used it all day with no semblance of fatigue whatsoever . I think it would be necesarry to alter your style if you were to use it regularly , there would be no issues realy thereafter.
Back to my original point though. The rod lacks soul , it is a dead stick in my opinion , an out and out casting tool which may come to life with a heavy skagit line and T tips but that is not my bag. I'll stick to the Reaction just now.
No question though, it is a mighty tool which does what it says on the tin.:)

Interesting observations Tom, ones I would find hard to disagree with.

I always find the 'soul' which I would describe more as 'feeling' typically lives much lower down in a rods action. The 12'9 was always intended to be a fast action canon for a specific section of the market. It was designed as a no compromise distance caster, primarlity with shooting heads that would give you the results you describe in return for the minimal effort you describe. As such, some of the feeling is sacrificed a little for the blistering performance with minimal effort. Of the two I would more often have chosen the 13'er as the 'fishing rod' at normal fishing distances, when ultimate distance was the main aim I whipped the little guy out! :eek:

No single rod will ever suit everyone, I think its important to find out about a rods design and performance objectives before anyone parts with their money, clearly trying before buying is the answer;

Century effectively offer that via clause 6.5 in their Terms & Conditions

Bawheid

Reaction score
mows
Is it up for sale then Lechty?

Cheers

Mows

Sold 3 weeks ago mate in this here classifieds :cool:

MODERN SPEY CASTING.....

Why have Vaux when you can have Stella Artois........

You two should get a room :p

Appreciate all that has been said and it is obviously a very capable rod in the right hands which is obviously not mine :p But it's a helluva lot heavier than my Marksman and I found it very tiring which maybe resulted in me trying too hard and consequently hurting my back. Strangely though when using an Opti-spey it felt very similar and heavy but the Nite Catapult at 14'6 absolutely tried to yank the rod out of my hand when casting again a heavy rod. Obviously my casting style or lack of it suited the rod. As springer said it really does pay to try before you buy. Having said that I just bought a Demon 15' on reputation, will I ever learn :rolleyes:

Only £100 at the chiro BUPA excess :cool: It not only sorted my back out but I can put my right sock on now with both hands :D:D:D

Edit: Oh and apologies for hijacking the previous thread :eek::eek:

Last edited:

smokie999

Reaction score
just as a point of interest what make and weight of line did you use and did you have he brass weights in the butt

andyjaffs

Reaction score
I can't cast for sh*t and bought one of these second hand. First day out with it this year I set it up with a Rio AFS 9/10. First cast I placed my flies in the trees in the far bank.
I am struggling to find a river big enough locally to fish it :)

Bawheid

Reaction score
just as a point of interest what make and weight of line did you use and did you have he brass weights in the butt

AFS 9/10, no wieghts added, It balanced perfectly with my DD9000, felt like I was waving a steel bar

smokie999

Reaction score
AFS 9/10, no wieghts added, It balanced perfectly with my DD9000, felt like I was waving a steel bar

no problem with the line then thought maybe if rod was under loaded the extra effort needed to cast might have caused the problem. I am 63 with two false knees and was casting the century 9/10 line which has a 56' head, off the century 13' rod at the forum meet with no problems

bros

Reaction score
Horses for courses I suppose.
I had a good few cast with the century rod and like Lecky I found it quite heavy, did not like the action either.
Springer you say it is not very forgiving, I agree not a rod for the novice.
Keirstream you say you have to
slow it down not sure I understand that, I thought the timing was the most important factor with that rod.
I stupidly bought a scierra ferox a few years ago, the rod was tip action and when you caught it right the line flew out, problem was the timing and the weight of the rod, was not for me.
The marksman has so much feel and forgiving in its action it is real easy to use.
Rheumatoid Arthritis tells me when something ain't right for me, only my opinion of course, as I said horses for courses

keirstream

Reaction score
I agree not a rod for the novice.

You don't allow a boy just passed his driving test to head off in a F1 racing car.
It's a totally different style and you need to learn and adapt.
To some it comes quite naturally but still takes time.
While I don't say the Century is the equivalent of an F1 car , the part about adapting to different styles is accurate.

Keirstream you say you have to
slow it down I thought the timing was the most important factor with that rod.

Exactly, you have answered your own question.:)

Last edited:

Springer

Reaction score
There are two discussions about two different rods happening here.

The 13' is a medium fast rod and its perfectly suitable for a novice, the 12'9 is faster and therefor more timing critical, not so suitable for a novice.

longchuck

Reaction score
Loved the 12'9, a superb tool for casting and i must say fishing.
It is not a rod for the novice.
Tried most of the stealth range and to me it was top dog.

rs2ford

Reaction score
I have the 13ft Century and would class myself as a novice, but find no problems in putting out 30 yards of line. Mind you my loops could be a bit tighter:rolleyes:.
I don't find it heavy at all, quite the opposite actually, because it balances so nicley with my reel i feel very little fatigue at the end of a days fishing.
Would highly recommend it to anyone.
If anyone wants to sell their 14ft 9wt Hardy Marksman 2T i would be very interested in buying one. You can never have too many rods:rolleyes:

Cheers Diarmid.

keirstream

Reaction score
Loved the 12 ft ,a superb tool for casting and i must say fishing.
It is not a rod for the novice.
Tried most of the stealth range and to me it was top dog.

Thats 3 different rods now.:)
My experience is restricted to the 12ft9in blunderbus version and does not relate to any of the other , more gentile versions of the range.:)

scottyboy9nro

Reaction score
much you get for the claim Si sounds a good yin

bros

Reaction score
You don't allow a boy just passed his driving test to head off in a F1 racing car.
It's a totally different style and you need to learn and adapt.
To some it comes quite naturally but still takes time.
While I don't say the Century is the equivalent of an F1 car , the part about adapting to different styles is accurate.

Exactly, you have answered your own question.:)

I thought that slower meant more forgiving and faster less forgiving
As for F1 lol