Other Species Caught.

WillowMan

Reaction score
I was talking about fishing with another fisherman and we got onto the subject of other species caught while fishing for salmon and sea trout.
My oddities have been a 12lb Barbel on the fly, 5lb Rainbow Trout on the fly and 2 1/2lb Perch caught on a Devon minnow.
All these fish were caught on the River Wear which makes the Rainbow Trout even more unusual.

I am looking forward to hearing what other oddities other members have caught on their quest to catch salmon and sea trout.

Lee95

Reaction score
I once caught a roach at night fishing for seatrout using a small wilkonson shrimp.

NEbody

Reaction score
Here’s a dace. I had another one in this spot a couple of years earlier, on a small tube fly.
1637586134464.jpeg

budge

Reaction score
Numerous chub from fingerlings to 5lb+ fish, brownies, grayling including my biggest ever, dace, a perch and a roach of around 8oz. Plenty foul hooked minnows and tiny coarse fish. Worryingly not a single salmon Parr for many years
Forgot to mention an eel on a sunk fly while night fishing for seatrout.

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

westie4566

Reaction score
Not other species as such, but about 20 years ago I was fishing for brown trout on the Don. Watched a nice one sipping down flies in a channel between two weed beds. Cast my sz 16 dry Greenwell and it was intercepted first time. All hell broke loose and I was thinking this is a good trout....nah a split fresh 3 1/2lb grilse.

Good fun on the 5wt.

budge

Reaction score
Heard a funny tale earlier this season about a guy hooking what he thought was a good salmon which after being played for a while decided to climb out of the river ! An angry dog otter which luckily broke him in the undergrowth

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
Mullet, perch, pike, flounder, ruff, dace, eels, rainbows, chub, grayling, pollock, coalie, crabs.

Caught above on worm, spinner and fly

Fredzefisher

Reaction score
I was on the Lochy last year and had just lost a fish almost at the net as it rolled as I tried to beach it and spat the hook. In a rage I went straight back out into the pool and in a million to one chance I hooked a Guillemot in the wing on the forward cast as it flew upriver. I played it for about 5 minutes as it dived in and out of the pool before the hook pulled free. I had only heard of someone catching something on thre wing once before, apart from the odd bat!

Rennie

Reaction score
Those of us who fish more mixed fishery rivers will contact a wider variety of species. Purely on a Salmon fly whist actively fishing for Salmon I've had, Graying, Perch, Pike, Eel's, Flounders,Chub, Dace, Roach, Barbel,Rainbow Trout and of course Sea Trout and Brown Trout. All fairly and squarely hooked.
I've also had a single solitary Carp whilst Trout fishing a put and take commercial trout fishery and had a Tench on once, but it broke me before the net, had quite a few Eels on wet fly fishing for Rainbows, curiously more in Scotland!
As you can imagine, Eel's are to be avoided, Carp was good, saw plenty of backing out there, Barbel was the best of the lot-genuinely in fear for my 14ft rod, thought It'd be coming home with me in bits!. Chub have many a time given a better take and a great Salmon impression for the 1st few moments, brightening up the other wise blank day.
Pedro.

goodwin8288

Reaction score
All the usuals pike perch chub eel and also big roach on the float fished prawn A seagull on a sand eel while fishing for sea trout in the estuary I played it like a kite in the air landed it on the boat and the skipper released it and it hung around to try again!!! And a swan flew through my line when worming years ago and continued flying until the hook went into it pulled the line tight and snapped me!!!

midgydug

Reaction score
I have had a cow on the back cast at Coupar Grange, a swan at the river leven in the dark, but the biggest surprise was on the River Eden in a spate worming. This thing took me hard and stripped line of heading down river. I sometimes gained line on it then off it went again. I saw it splashing when it came to surface a good bit down river. I eventually got level with it and managed to pump it in, only to see at the last minute it was a big fishing umbrella !!🤣

BlennyBoy

Reaction score
I heard that a chap caught (foul hooked) a beaver on the Rio Grande. Needless to say it was not landed!

ballintemple

Reaction score
Some years ago I had a couple of bats (on different evenings) while fishing for sea trout in the twilight. They took the fly in the air during false casting, and it was easily removed from the wing membrane. Not an enjoyable experience though.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Mate of mine has a great video of himself hooking a seal when lure fishing for bass earlier this year. It pops up about 20 yards away with the lure in its mouth then takes off and spools him of 200 yards of braid. You can just hear him in the background in a panic trying to think what to do.
Heard of it happening a few times but first time ive seen it on video.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Hoddom

Reaction score
Had a cormorant on a Toby a few years back. It was a C&R beat…. There can be exceptions

also netted bass, chub, flatties, perch and pike. Also hooked, but lost after a run off around 150yds, a red Ford (badly timed back cast).

Dry fly trout fishing I’ve had bats, swallows, dace, chub, perch

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Bats, a seal when it robbed my sea trout, guillemots, terns and wait for it
A star fish
Most of it on the estuary after sea trout.
But my pal took the biscuit catching a big white goose right in the tongue and as he was playing it it’s mate jumped on its back and started humping it :ROFLMAO:
So he was playing 2 massive geese at the same time.
12F5BA44-038A-424E-AF02-A66E6F87F5E4.jpeg

Chester

Reaction score
Had a 5lb chub take a sunray on the surface. Thought I was in to a grilse until the first run was over 😩
One of my hardest fights on a fly rod was a swan I had on for about 10 minutes. Luckily the hook came away before I had to deal with unhooking it or anybody saw what was going on….

Sewinboy

Reaction score
While fly fishing for Sewin in the dark, I have caught bats, flounder, shad and eels. Occasionally I catch the odd salmon. Have also caught bullheads on several occasions while worming. The worms are larger than the fish!