Orvis Hydros v Lamson Guru

reddie

Reaction score
Considering an Orvis Hydros LA VI or Lamson Guru HD 4 reel to match with my Airflo Airtec 11ft 3inch 8 weight switch rod, together with Rio SSVT 8 weight line. Has anyone any experience with the above reels and how they fit with switch rods? Any advice appreciated

MikeCC

Reaction score
Both very good reel's but are you sure about the size?? I had a Hydros VI and its huge...4 1/2 inch diameter for 11/12 spey lines. I had a Carron Jetstream 10/11 75' on mine, with loads of space left. Good solid reel though, whichever size you go for. Its one of the few reels i've had that didnt have any play between the spool and reel. The Lamson's are are also pretty sturdy, never had a bad one yet. Currently using a Vanquish, precision engineering at its best, great reel.

Guest002

Reaction score
i have the guru 4.0 on my 11ft switch rod and although it looks big its nice and light.

plus you would have to go for the 4 as the line capacity of the lamsons is crap....

bearing on mind I go the lamson , mint for about £140....that's all its worth in my opinion...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 945

Lamson do an X version of their spools which have extra capacity - I have a 3.5x litespeed and there is loads of room on it. Would be ideal for a switch I would say. Wouldn't fancy a full salmon sized reel on one

mows

Reaction score
I bought a system2 9/10 from a very nice gent on here and I find it perfect for the switch rod.

Cheers Mows

reddie

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback lads! Was only looking at those sizes as came across deals for them at that size. Thought they may be too big alright. Any experience with the Orvis Access mid arbor reels? Am leaning towards the Lamson Guru 3.5 but will heck out the Orvis Access before committing

tenet

Reaction score
Have a long hard look at the Lamson - pretty sure its machined Die cast Aluminium rather than barstock. A good way of testing is to drop it on a hard surface;);)

Guest002

Reaction score
Lamson do an X version of their spools which have extra capacity - I have a 3.5x litespeed and there is loads of room on it. Would be ideal for a switch I would say. Wouldn't fancy a full salmon sized reel on one

or they could make their reels the right flippin size in the 1st place..

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I've got a Guru 4.0 and a Hydros V. The Hydros is just right for 11,3" rod and has a #8 WF with lots of backing. The Guru is on my 13fter and has a 55ft Carron Spey line + a fair bit of backing.

The Hydros seems more solidly built and the drag is a bit easier to adjust. It was one of those impulse purchases I later regretted although it is a good reel. It's currently got one of my standby lines on it though and thus I've never taken a Salmon on it. Chinese Built

The Guru has taken a couple of fish and some Sea Trout, it works well and I have no complaints. US Built

That said all of my fish this year have come on a BFR Magnum I got in the Orvis Sale for £17.95 ;) no complaints with that either.

Last edited:

Dunkeld1962

Reaction score
Have a long hard look at the Lamson - pretty sure its machined Die cast Aluminium rather than barstock. A good way of testing is to drop it on a hard surface;);)

The Guru is Barstock, I have both reels, would recommend either although the Lamson is on the light side compared to most other reels. Both have great drags.