Original 3pc 15ft LPXe

grnmontgomery

Reaction score
Hi

I have been given a totally mint original 3 piece Guideline 15ft 10/11 lpxe, and it looks unused.

Can this rod still cut the mustard against the new breed of salmon rods out there and be used as a viable main rod or is it just worth keeping it as a spare in reserve? I tend to use shorter 13ft and shooting heads but would probably like a heavier and longer rod for bigger waters.

Also, any lines you could recommend that would work well for this model?

Thanks!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Finglas

Reaction score
I’ll be interested to see what the other forum members, with more knowledge than I, have to say to this one.

I think the 3 piece lpxes were the most desirable of them all. My dad still uses a 3 piece 14ft lpxe and it’s great. I reckon your 15fter will more than cut the mustard!

Rennie

Reaction score
Oh yes, it'll still more than cut the mustard, and it'll show some of the upstarts how to do it too!.
I have one, from the off it's a shooting head rod, it will handle up to mid belly full floaters, but it's designed and made for shooting heads. Float up to as fast as you could ever want lines to sink and if it says Guideline on the box, then no worries, 42 g is about optimum.It's pretty good with the AFS Floater too, it might loose points for not being a Skagit rod, but I've never found that a problem. It'll handle 3/5/8 3D lines no problem or the fastest of the Dual Density lines and multi tips with type 8 tips easily.It's proving ground was the rivers of Scandinavia when big strong flows and cold water with big flies mean big fish.I use an Original power taper floater on mine and the short cut ready to go sinking heads, all Guideline.I've also the full DDC kit in 10/11 too and it's pretty awsome with that!
I like the LPXe series in general- I've 4 in total.For me the original 3 piece is just that bit sweeter and sharper, the 4 piece V2 a little easier actioned.
Enjoy, it's a better rod than most of us will ever be!
Pedro.

Last edited:

grnmontgomery

Reaction score
Thank you both, that's great news and fantastic information! It certainly looks and feels like a nice rod. Just need to get a line match for it then.

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk