Ordering from EU

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Wait, have you taken receipt of the rod? At least in the UK they won't deliver until you pay up...
Yes thats it I'm after receiving the rod and now a week later I received the letter from An Post on behalf of the Revenue lookin for the VAT to be paid.
What's to stop me saying I never received the rod?

paddymc

Reaction score
I bought a piece of equipment from Italy last week. I paid the Italian Vat and had it delivered without any further charges.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Yes thats it I'm after receiving the rod and now a week later I received the letter from An Post on behalf of the Revenue lookin for the VAT to be paid.

I guess their tracking, especially if you had to sign on receipt?? Odd that...

Bonito

Reaction score
Possibly the fact you have just posted on a public forum that you did receive it. EU countries no longer charge VAT to UK and vice versa. It is up to the UK or EU to charge at their rates after your order / delivery.

I`ve had my share of deliveries since brexit from both Italy and Germany. No big deal or hardship and no extra paperwork. Their invoices are vat free. A lot of them coming from Europe are DHL handled and their customs clearance will contact a week or so after you have received it asking for UK vat and a clearance charge. Slight win from ITaly as they were 22% vat so now just charged 20% UK.

Pollowick

Reaction score
With good coming into the UK - whether from teh EU or elsewhere, you should NOT be paying any VAT or the local equivalent (Sales Tax in USA) and then expect to pay 20% VAT and depending on items, maybe duty in the UK, PLUS the Royal Mail handling fee. However, some companies that ship regularly can have UK VAT registration and you pay the VAT direct to them who then pay HMRC, and there will not be a RM charge on top..

paddymc

Reaction score
With good coming into the UK - whether from teh EU or elsewhere, you should NOT be paying any VAT or the local equivalent (Sales Tax in USA) and then expect to pay 20% VAT and depending on items, maybe duty in the UK, PLUS the Royal Mail handling fee. However, some companies that ship regularly can have UK VAT registration and you pay the VAT direct to them who then pay HMRC, and there will not be a RM charge on top..
This confirms that N. Ireland has left the U.K. given my post above.

Last edited:

S.preston

Reaction score
Not so sure I’d want an outstanding payment to revenue like that. Wouldn’t rule out something like that being handed to a debt collection agency or similar down the road.
Completely agree, most if not all delivery vans have tracking fitted ,if not in the van then the handheld scanner they use to scan out the parcel at your address. Good luck with it if you do chance it 👍