Ordering from EU

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Just got a letter from parcelforce ive got a import bill to pay on my order of reel seats from Germany.
my order was only €264
And I’ve got a £63.73 bill to pay import vat. I paid vat in Germany on my goods. :mad:
WTF?
I had no bill last 2 orders.
This is complete nonsense and makes buying anything in the EU a total waste of time.

rotenone

Reaction score
It's just as harsh ordering from the UK into Ireland, spent 260 on materials.

Got a bill for around 80 from the courier company, handling fees, vat and charges I wouldn't buy from the UK any longer

Richardgw

Reaction score
I bought from Clonanav in Ireland and had no trouble, goods received within two days of order , but I kept my order well below the £135 limit above which VAT and other charges can be applied.

Timmins

Reaction score
Same here !!! Last year ordered a lot of frodin fly tying gear no problem. Few weeks ago ordered £80 of stuff just cause was bored and button bashing on the internet and cost me £60 charges Never again 😡😡😡

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Just got a letter from parcelforce ive got a import bill to pay on my order of reel seats from Germany.
my order was only €264
And I’ve got a £63.73 bill to pay import vat. I paid vat in Germany on my goods. :mad:
WTF?
This is complete nonsense and makes buying anything in the EU a total waste of time.
But think of all the wonderful :mad::ROFLMAO:opportunities available to the UK consumer and businesses now that you have your freedom via Brexit! Surely a little bit of friction and a few quid is such a small price to pay for voting for Borris to get Brexit done:eek::eek:
Just as you can no longer buy feely from us in Europe the likes of Glasgow Megastore, Noris of Penrith etc are all losing EU customers or have already stopped supplying due to exactly the same issue. The only thing that I know we can buy from the UK without vat or duty are books.
One positive is that if you buy items from Amazon directly you generally get a fully priced, vat and duty inclusive quote before you pay rather than waiting for the roulette of customs.
My last ( in more ways than one) order from Glasgow took a month to arrive and then only after I had chased UPS 3 times. The extra bill arrived a month later and included duty at 15% plus Irish VAT but was at least correctly excluded UK VAT.
While we have lost access to hassle and duty free purchases from Great Brittain based retailers we in Ireland or any other EU country continue to be able to buy from any EU outlet (or Northern Ireland supplier due to the NI protocol). I wonder, if as a result of Brexit, there is any one new or old overseas market where UK based customers can buy via mail order without the risk of duty and VAT if HMRC does their job?

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
If the UK government had an immigration policy like Australia in the first place then the British public would not have had to take such drastic measures and we would still be in the EU.

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
But think of all the wonderful :mad::ROFLMAO:opportunities available to the UK consumer and businesses now that you have your freedom via Brexit! Surely a little bit of friction and a few quid is such a small price to pay for voting for Borris to get Brexit done:eek::eek:
Just as you can no longer buy feely from us in Europe the likes of Glasgow Megastore, Noris of Penrith etc are all losing EU customers or have already stopped supplying due to exactly the same issue. The only thing that I know we can buy from the UK without vat or duty are books.
One positive is that if you buy items from Amazon directly you generally get a fully priced, vat and duty inclusive quote before you pay rather than waiting for the roulette of customs.
My last ( in more ways than one) order from Glasgow took a month to arrive and then only after I had chased UPS 3 times. The extra bill arrived a month later and included duty at 15% plus Irish VAT but was at least correctly excluded UK VAT.
While we have lost access to hassle and duty free purchases from Great Brittain based retailers we in Ireland or any other EU country continue to be able to buy from any EU outlet (or Northern Ireland supplier due to the NI protocol). I wonder, if as a result of Brexit, there is any one new or old overseas market where UK based customers can buy via mail order without the risk of duty and VAT if HMRC does their job?
What we should do is help each other out. I could receive your UK orders then post them to you and you could receive my EU orders and post them to me

Jockiescott

Reaction score
It appears we were fed a lot of bollox too that Northern Ireland had the best of both worlds.

I was talking to a chap recently who wanted to buy a high end shotgun from Italy. He was told he'd have to pay over £1500 in import costs alone to get it to Northern Ireland.

pfeul

Reaction score
my order was only €264
WTF?
Perhaps might you ask for being refunded from the VAT in Germany?

chriswjx

Reaction score
Might just need the seller to notify PF that VAT has been paid already on the item? As it sounds like they've just not ticked a box or sommat

scotsmac1

Reaction score
I see Brexit, driving Scotland into another Independent vote. Should that happen , I see us leaving UK, then possibly joining Europe, ( if they will have us )
Certainly would make Scottish passport more sought after. ???
On a personal note. What are the so called benefits of Brexit ???

Slaneybs

Reaction score
It appears we were fed a lot of bollox too that Northern Ireland had the best of both worlds.

I was talking to a chap recently who wanted to buy a high end shotgun from Italy. He was told he'd have to pay over £1500 in import costs alone to get it to Northern Ireland.
I wonder did the vendor understand that he was selling to NI rather than the GB as the rules are different?
Was the £1500 charge VAT or duty?
If the gun was EU made there should have been no duty on sale to either NI or GB but if for example, it was USA made and imported into Italy and then supplied ex Italy to GB then there could be duty, but I don't think there would have been duty on supply to NI.
I wonder was your friend looking at a vat exclusive price from Italy which is what would be quoted to a GB buyer who would then pay UK VAT on import while he would probably be paying the Italian VAT inclusive price.
The whole thing is so complex you would need to be a VAT and Customs expert to understand it and most smaller retailers and their customers are not in a position to understand it.

Slaneybs

Reaction score
What we should do is help each other out. I could receive your UK orders then post them to you and you could receive my EU orders and post them to me
I am afraid HMRC won't let that go as you need a customs declaration on any personal goods you post between an EU country and GB or vice-versa. But maybe one of the NI based guys could help as that would be an internal UK postage item and I don't think personal postal packages between NI and GB require a customs declaration but could be wrong. Some complicated mess, i think we are all just going to have to adjust to the new normal.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I wonder did the vendor understand that he was selling to NI rather than the GB as the rules are different?
Was the £1500 charge VAT or duty?
If the gun was EU made there should have been no duty on sale to either NI or GB but if for example, it was USA made and imported into Italy and then supplied ex Italy to GB then there could be duty, but I don't think there would have been duty on supply to NI.
I wonder was your friend looking at a vat exclusive price from Italy which is what would be quoted to a GB buyer who would then pay UK VAT on import while he would probably be paying the Italian VAT inclusive price.
The whole thing is so complex you would need to be a VAT and Customs expert to understand it and most smaller retailers and their customers are not in a position to understand it.

I honestly don't know the ins and outs of it.

He was to go to Italy to have stock custom made for a new gun in the factory. All manufacturing etc was to be done in Italy.

Perhaps there was confusion about NI but he was told it would be over £1500 in 'import duties'. Those were his words and I didn't really know enough about it to question him on it.

I did say that I thought that it should have come to NI as any other place in the EU but he just shrugged his shoulders. "That is what I was told", was his response.

ibm59

Reaction score
I honestly don't know the ins and outs of it.

He was to go to Italy to have stock custom made for a new gun in the factory. All manufacturing etc was to be done in Italy.

Perhaps there was confusion about NI but he was told it would be over £1500 in 'import duties'. Those were his words and I didn't really know enough about it to question him on it.

I did say that I thought that it should have come to NI as any other place in the EU but he just shrugged his shoulders. "That is what I was told", was his response.
Did he buy it ?

Birkin

Reaction score
Can't understand how you can be charged vat on an order from the EU when we are not in the EU. When I ordered my latest reel from Danielsson at the top of the order page there is a choice of paying vat or not. I chose not to pay the Swedish vat.
I ordered on the Monday, received a import bill from DHL on the Tuesday which I payed on line and received the reel on the Wednesday after lunch. I actually saved £1.50 on the deal.

Birkin

Reaction score
I see Brexit, driving Scotland into another Independent vote. Should that happen , I see us leaving UK, then possibly joining Europe, ( if they will have us )
Certainly would make Scottish passport more sought after. ???
On a personal note. What are the so called benefits of Brexit ???
Or Scottish Independance

Slaneysider

Reaction score
I bought a rod from the UK recently from the UK, the value of the rod by Customs was €311.49 and the VAT was €74.29, the thing about it is i received the rod without paying the VAT.
Will I have to pay it?
It says that if these charges are not paid the item will be returned to the sender.

Attachments

• 16319743778867671196072005416533.jpg
    16319743778867671196072005416533.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 16319744023585368646383692091460.jpg
    16319744023585368646383692091460.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 19

chriswjx

Reaction score
I bought a rod from the UK recently from the UK, the value of the rod by Customs was €311.49 and the VAT was €74.29, the thing about it is i received the rod without paying the VAT.
Will I have to pay it?
It says that if these charges are not paid the item will be returned to the sender.

Wait, have you taken receipt of the rod? At least in the UK they won't deliver until you pay up...