donfisher123

Reaction score
my flies

here are a few pictures of my first flies

Last edited:

donfisher123

Reaction score
ok

A friend of mine is coming round this afternoon to see what im doing wrong haha im hopeless with computers they never work for me. :D

easky

Reaction score
Good man Donfisher, for your first Cascades you have done a very good job. There are some small points that would help refine them, but bottom line they will imho catch you fish, which is what it's all about :)

Like your overall proportions in the first and maybe just tone back the amount of materials by about 15%. The tail is a little long in the second but does have a nice sparseness about it. Your hackles look well tied and neat and the only thing to think about is starting them a little further front.

As I say though, very well done and look forward to seeing some pics with them firmly in the scissors of a big bar of silver ;)

donfisher123

Reaction score
thanks

i still have 8 hooks left and plenty of materials so hopefully by the last few they will look less scruffy:D

Reiver Flash

Reaction score
Thanks Easky

I found your video first class. Tied a couple of the orange firetail cascade last week. Although I am fairly new to fly tying, they are the best looking flies I have tied to date because of your tips. Fished a pool on the Tyne this am. Simply Red first time down. OFC second time and got a lovely fresh 9 lb cock fish second cast! My new favourite fly now! Thanks for taking the time to make such an informative video Easky.

easky

Reaction score
I found your video first class. Tied a couple of the orange firetail cascade last week. Although I am fairly new to fly tying, they are the best looking flies I have tied to date because of your tips. Fished a pool on the Tyne this am. Simply Red first time down. OFC second time and got a lovely fresh 9 lb cock fish second cast! My new favourite fly now! Thanks for taking the time to make such an informative video Easky.

Well done! Sounds like a super fish, and nothing beats catching a fish on a fly you have tied yourself... hopefully the first of many :)

RUSH

Reaction score
I tied a few up a couple of weeks ago to try on the clyde I had 3 fish in 4 short sessions and my cast broke on another it's now my go to fly !!! Lol many thanks for making the video

anodizedchrome

Reaction score
Tonight's the night :cool:
I'm going to have a go at these bad boys. Although haven't any white thread only black or fire orange so I'm hoping the green still comes through?

No way will I come anywhere near doing your flies justice easky but if they look half as good I'll be happy.

anodizedchrome

Reaction score
Here's my first attempt.
Not happy with it, didn't even bother varnishing the head as I'm going to retry.
Had no yellow bucktail ether :mad:[IMG]http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/Darraghdigney/20130922_110057-1_zpsdb21fea4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/Darraghdigney/20130922_105546_zps0208c1a8.jpg[/IMG]

salmo salar1979

Reaction score
Here's my first attempt.
Not happy with it, didn't even bother varnishing the head as I'm going to retry.
Had no yellow bucktail ether :mad:[IMG]http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/Darraghdigney/20130922_110057-1_zpsdb21fea4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/Darraghdigney/20130922_105546_zps0208c1a8.jpg[/IMG]

Get varnish on it, it's fine. It'll work a treat!

easky

Reaction score
Looks spot on and as SS says very 'fishable'. I actually like the variation of blk in the tail and may tie up a few like it to try!

Another good variation worth trying at this time of yr is a red version - red buck tail and fox in tail and red rather than orange hackle

anodizedchrome

Reaction score
Thanks lads. I'm sure it will work but want it as close to your version as I can. After the first hackle I just sort of gave up. Had no black squirrel ether so used stoats tail

RUSH

Reaction score
I always use black arctic fox in the wing When I tie cascade's I wouldn't worry to much if you substitute something the fish don't know what's meant to be in it ! Lol

Reiver Flash

Reaction score
Looks spot on and as SS says very 'fishable'. I actually like the variation of blk in the tail and may tie up a few like it to try!

Another good variation worth trying at this time of yr is a red version - red buck tail and fox in tail and red rather than orange hackle

I like the red idea. Simply Red is a very successful Tyne fly. Are you suggesting all red or red mixed yellow, I suspect the former? Still with a black wing?

Last edited:

RUSH

Reaction score
My first fish this season was caught with a red/yellow cascade I'll need to tie a few firetails up to try with red fox or runner if they look half as good as the orange one's they'll do for me

easky

Reaction score
I like the red idea. Simply Red is a very successful Tyne fly. Are you suggesting all red or red mixed yellow, I suspect the former? Still with a black wing?

I generally still keep to the Cascade theme and so red and yellow in tail with touch of something softer to 'firetail' it up. Still blk wing and then red rather than orange front hackle (over yellow). I've seen some people also replace the silver Mylar with red or sometimes just the blk floss with red. You can also use red Krystal flash in the tail. Can do well as I say at this time of yr when the cock fish are getting more aggressive