Oracle Switch 8/9

D

Deleted by request

Here’s what me and tam use and it produces double numbers of fish for us EVERY season. The shakey 11 foot rod,any good quality reel with good drag adjustment, a wychwood floating sink tip line,a 10 feet poly leader,and 3 feet of maxima chameleon line +1 fly,usually the one of the 3 fly’s that fish keep coming back for. We NEVER change or very rarely change from that,simply because it works,tried over and over , so you can’t go wrong with that set up in most rivers,NOW learn to do a roll cast( first start away out in the open,plenty of videos on this on YouTube) so when you have a wall of trees or branches to your front and rear,you can start at the top of the run and work your way SLOWLY to the bottom. Now this is only my humble opinion ok, but we have as I say proven over and over every season that it’s a great way to fish,and take your time,it’s not a race,and enjoy it,for when the season ends,you suddenly think,what am I gonna do now till the fishing starts again.Year before last,Tam took 18 and I had 13. Tight lines Adam......... jimmy

What's your three flies

chriswjx

Reaction score
On the talk of line selection, I've just gotten a second hand Rio Scandi Short Versi on my 7/8 feels great. Rage compact is also quite nice.

I'm also interested in those 3 flies 😜

jimmythefish

Reaction score
The 3 fly’s we use are 1/ The bann special 2/ red and black special 3 / yellow and brown shrimp .Dont have a picture of the bann special,but it’s a tremendous fly,for instance,I’ve caught 3 salmon on 3 different rivers in 3 different countries on it ! River Finn in Donegal in Ireland, River Agivey, Northern Ireland,and my own Cart river in Scotland,try them 3 Ladies this year and let me know how you’ve got on lads.👍

Attachments

• CD9E0789-ADC3-4C86-97EE-AFF453B35617.png
    CD9E0789-ADC3-4C86-97EE-AFF453B35617.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 53
  • 3C99846A-8F4A-4B3B-8F73-26817B54160C.png
    3C99846A-8F4A-4B3B-8F73-26817B54160C.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 55

Mickfish

Reaction score
Maxcatch switch lines are very good, 7/8 is 425 grains.
John Norris integrated salmon shooting head
7/8 is 30 grams so just over 450 grains
Both under £20.
But don't just focus on the weight. What I like about the Maxcatch heads (to be used with mono running line) is the shortness of some of their heads; the two I bought being 17' and 23' respectively. They work brilliantly with a 10'10" Echo switch rod that I have. You can get 23/24' heads with the integrated Rio Chucker (I have some) and the Wulff Ambush but you are paying a lot of money for these and it reaches point where you want to increase the versatility of the lines available to you without spending a fortune. For £17 the Maxcatch were just perfect in terms of price and filling gaps in the heads I wanted.

Mick

Mickfish

Reaction score
Snowbee switch, great integrated lines, the floaters nice, the intermediate is even better, available for around £25, I use t he 450gr on the Oracle 8/9
The Snowbee is a great switch line but I paid nearly £50 for mine (some years ago now) - are they now available cheaper - if so I might consider the intermediate?

Mick

1kofly

Reaction score
Never used Barrio, so I need to try them as all of you recommend them. What I use at the moment is Vision Hybrid. I was a little skeptical about quite thick running line integrated, but it works very good and is easy to manage. 19 gram head plus 10' (7 grams) changeable tips and thats my set up. I use it also as a 19 gram skagit for 7 weight single hand.

chriswjx

Reaction score
But don't just focus on the weight. What I like about the Maxcatch heads (to be used with mono running line) is the shortness of some of their heads; the two I bought being 17' and 23' respectively. They work brilliantly with a 10'10" Echo switch rod that I have. You can get 23/24' heads with the integrated Rio Chucker (I have some) and the Wulff Ambush but you are paying a lot of money for these and it reaches point where you want to increase the versatility of the lines available to you without spending a fortune. For £17 the Maxcatch were just perfect in terms of price and filling gaps in the heads I wanted.

Mick
Out of curiosity (beginner here) only time I've used a really condensed head on my shakespeare switch like the maxcatch ones was an airflo rage that a guide wanted me to try. Felt like the loop to loop between the running and the head was catching on the top eye. I guess I wouldn't have had that problem with a mono shooting line? Or possibly was the guide's running line too thick?

Mickfish

Reaction score
Out of curiosity (beginner here) only time I've used a really condensed head on my shakespeare switch like the maxcatch ones was an airflo rage that a guide wanted me to try. Felt like the loop to loop between the running and the head was catching on the top eye. I guess I wouldn't have had that problem with a mono shooting line? Or possibly was the guide's running line too thick?
Hi Chris,

This is the first time I've used mono running line and not yet on the river. I found this video useful for (compressing) knots etc.

Also as French leader anglers do, I boiled the mono in a weak acid solution to make it more malleable. But I still have to lower the rod when casting in the garden to bring the knots and loops safely through the tip ring. Some friends use Acquasure to try and streamline the knots but when I pressed them they also have to lower their rod tips to ease the line's passage through the tip ring.

Integrated heads like my Switch Chucker avoid this problem but the Chucker's running line is a little too thick for my liking and this affects its shooting capacity, hence my mono experiment. I believe Wulff Ambush lines have thinner integrated running line but I've never tried one I practice. For the other conventional running lines I use I would say
I do just the same when preparing to land a fish IF there is any resistance, whilst trying to keep everything still under tension the whole time.

Mick

Last edited:

rapala55

Reaction score
I have a Oracle switch 8/9 11ft and i’m a bit confused on what line to pare it with as i fish a small river mostly with little or no back room and relatively deep pools so if someone could help me it would be a great help.
Cheers
I have the 6 piece and the barrio 8/9 if it’s only going to be used for speycasts I‘d wait and get the barrio 8/9 but if your going to overhead cast with it I’d still get the barrio but you’ll need a lighter line rating
I have the same rod the Barrio switch 7/8 is heavy enough.For small rivers I use forward taper 8 trout line usually with a 5 ft pollyleader this can be cast overhead if required....Im using the Barrio 8/9 switch on a Shakey oracle 8/9 and it works great.

SteveG

Reaction score
I have the same rod the Barrio switch 7/8 is heavy enough.For small rivers I use forward taper 8 trout line usually with a 5 ft pollyleader this can be cast overhead if required....Im using the Barrio 8/9 switch on a Shakey oracle 8/9 and it works great.
I had the same rod and I was using a rage 420 head with shooting line as recommended by JN when I bought it, I also used a #8WF floater for single handed casting for sea trout and it worked fine

Nath

Reaction score
The Snowbee is a great switch line but I paid nearly £50 for mine (some years ago now) - are they now available cheaper - if so I might consider the intermediate?

Mick

I was going to ask the same, do you know where to them for cheaper please? I seem to come up with around £45-50 at best.

Thanks

1kofly

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

This is the first time I've used mono running line and not yet on the river. I found this video useful for (compressing) knots etc.

Also as French leader anglers do, I boiled the mono in a weak acid solution to make it more malleable. But I still have to lower the rod when casting in the garden to bring the knots and loops safely through the tip ring. Some friends use Acquasure to try and streamline the knots but when I pressed them they also have to lower their rod tips to ease the line's passage through the tip ring.

Integrated heads like my Switch Chucker avoid this problem but the Chucker's running line is a little too thick for my liking and this affects its shooting capacity, hence my mono experiment. I believe Wulff Ambush lines have thinner integrated running line but I've never tried one I practice. For the other conventional running lines I use I would say
I do just the same when preparing to land a fish IF there is any resistance, whilst trying to keep everything still under tension the whole time.

Mick

Mick
I just do the loop of the running ending and stick it together, I treat it softly before with a sandpaper to create a friction between. I overlap it with a tying thread (ca 3 inches needs to to be thread together), then glue it with rapid glue and put later aquasure to protect it. It is slim, 100% proofed in action.
Paweł.

S.preston

Reaction score
I have the 8/9 and picked up a Scierra integrated line for 40 odd euro. It was an integrated float /s1 30gram and felt lovely with a poly. Had a rage compact in a wf6 390 grain which was recommended and was good but got on better with the scierra