Oracle Switch 8/9

Adamburton04

Reaction score
I have a Oracle switch 8/9 11ft and i’m a bit confused on what line to pare it with as i fish a small river mostly with little or no back room and relatively deep pools so if someone could help me it would be a great help.
Cheers

mows

Reaction score

Unfortunately only 6/7 in stock just now.

Keep an eye on classifieds on here.

Adamburton04

Reaction score
Hi
I have the same rod and fish small rivers. Get an 8/9 Barrio switch line. The two of them together are the dogs danglies.
Alan
i have had a look at them and they’re out of stock at the moment so im looking for another option Thanks

Jock

Reaction score
There are many suitable lines out there. Always go for an integrated line for what you are describing, unless you are talking about the need for a skagit. I have had both the Barrio and Gaelforce on that rod and both are excellent and handle fast sinking polyleaders and heavy flies equally well. It comes down really to quality, price and how much fishing you do. For the money, the Barrio is tremendous value if you are not wanting hours and hours of fishing time out the line. Quality and a greater longevity comes with the Gaelforce but it does come at a far higher price. For me it is the Gaelforce ESSS switch. Weight wise the 8/9, 7/8 even the 6/7 all cast off that rod but if you are thinking in terms of fast sinking polys and heavier flies then the heavier line the better.

Mickfish

Reaction score
I have a Oracle switch 8/9 11ft and i’m a bit confused on what line to pare it with as i fish a small river mostly with little or no back room and relatively deep pools so if someone could help me it would be a great help.
Cheers
Another cheap option is to get a Maxcatch Skagit shooting head and pair it with some Amnesia or Asso mono shooting line.

Check the weight of the heads to match that of the Barrio or Shakespeare heads. I use the 17' 25 gram (check grain equivalent) head for my Echo SR and it flies out in cramped places with just a tap of underhand casting.

Amazon might be a pound or two more expensive than Ebay but they are always in stock and therefore no long weight from China:

Also it will bully out all densities of poly leaders and tips and big flies if/when necessary.

On preparing the mono shooting line to make its supple look at my SECOND post in this thread and the information from the Reds Flyshop on spooling up the mono:

Hope this helps.

Mick

Last edited:

mows

Reaction score
There are many suitable lines out there. Always go for an integrated line for what you are describing, unless you are talking about the need for a skagit. I have had both the Barrio and Gaelforce on that rod and both are excellent and handle fast sinking polyleaders and heavy flies equally well. It comes down really to quality, price and how much fishing you do. For the money, the Barrio is tremendous value if you are not wanting hours and hours of fishing time out the line. Quality and a greater longevity comes with the Gaelforce but it does come at a far higher price. For me it is the Gaelforce ESSS switch. Weight wise the 8/9, 7/8 even the 6/7 all cast off that rod but if you are thinking in terms of fast sinking polys and heavier flies then the heavier line the better.
What ever Jock says.
He knows his shakeys better than most, and has better access than most to gaelforce kit.

RUSH

Reaction score
Cheers
I have the 6 piece and the barrio 8/9 if it’s only going to be used for speycasts I‘d wait and get the barrio 8/9 but if your going to overhead cast with it I’d still get the barrio but you’ll need a lighter line rating

boomdocker

Reaction score
I use the Cortland Switch on my 7/8 weight Oracle Switch
Got fed up waiting for the Barrio unicorns to come back into stock
Only used the Cortland a few times at the end of the season, but worked great

goodwin8288

Reaction score
i have used both the cortland switch and the snowbee switch lines both very good lines but the snowbee is the better(nicer) of the two

Adamburton04

Reaction score
i live a 5 minute walk from the river and fish it nearly every day so i might go for the galeforce

Pompero

Reaction score
I have the 7/8 and looking for a short shooting head, any suggestions around 23-25 grams?

Mickfish

Reaction score
I have the 7/8 and looking for a short shooting head, any suggestions around 23-25 grams?
Maxcatch heads on Amazon (in stock so no waiting time as on Ebay) at about £17 each - just bought a 17' and 23' both about 25 grams - looped at both ends superb when garden casting. Time will tell on the river but on FFF people speak highly of their trout lines.

Mick

Isisalar

Reaction score
Maxcatch heads on Amazon (in stock so no waiting time as on Ebay) at about £17 each - just bought a 17' and 23' both about 25 grams - looped at both ends superb when garden casting. Time will tell on the river but on FFF people speak highly of their trout lines.

Mick
Maxcatch switch lines are very good, 7/8 is 425 grains.
John Norris integrated salmon shooting head
7/8 is 30 grams so just over 450 grains
Both under £20.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Snowbee switch, great integrated lines, the floaters nice, the intermediate is even better, available for around £25, I use t he 450gr on the Oracle 8/9

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Here’s what me and tam use and it produces double numbers of fish for us EVERY season. The shakey 11 foot rod,any good quality reel with good drag adjustment, a wychwood floating sink tip line,a 10 feet poly leader,and 3 feet of maxima chameleon line +1 fly,usually the one of the 3 fly’s that fish keep coming back for. We NEVER change or very rarely change from that,simply because it works,tried over and over , so you can’t go wrong with that set up in most rivers,NOW learn to do a roll cast( first start away out in the open,plenty of videos on this on YouTube) so when you have a wall of trees or branches to your front and rear,you can start at the top of the run and work your way SLOWLY to the bottom. Now this is only my humble opinion ok, but we have as I say proven over and over every season that it’s a great way to fish,and take your time,it’s not a race,and enjoy it,for when the season ends,you suddenly think,what am I gonna do now till the fishing starts again.Year before last,Tam took 18 and I had 13. Tight lines Adam......... jimmy