Oracle switch 7/8 line recommendations

Finglas

Reaction score
Hi all,

looking for a little bit of advice. What line would suit this 7/8 rod. I have been searching through the forum and I have seen people recommending lines around the 23-25g range but I would like for the rod to be a true switch in a sense, i.e I would like to overhead cast and speycast with the same line. So with tat in mind, can I do that alright with a shooting head or do I need to by a line that is specially sold as being a switch line?

I would buy the mike barrow switch line, I have an SLX trout line of his which is good but it seems the majority of his stuff is sold out and from his updates there seems to be little hope of him getting it back in stock soon.

Anyway, what are the thoughts, do I need a specific switch line and then what line would suit ?

Thank you,

Jamie

mows

Reaction score
The bario is fine for both.
I spey most but overhead near the trees.
It's fine for overhead but you wouldn't want to do it all day!
It's very forgiving, but you need to concentrate a bit more when using heavy flies.

greenlaner2009

Reaction score
Hi all,

looking for a little bit of advice. What line would suit this 7/8 rod. I have been searching through the forum and I have seen people recommending lines around the 23-25g range but I would like for the rod to be a true switch in a sense, i.e I would like to overhead cast and speycast with the same line. So with tat in mind, can I do that alright with a shooting head or do I need to by a line that is specially sold as being a switch line?

I would buy the mike barrow switch line, I have an SLX trout line of his which is good but it seems the majority of his stuff is sold out and from his updates there seems to be little hope of him getting it back in stock soon.

Anyway, what are the thoughts, do I need a specific switch line and then what line would suit ?

Thank you,

Jamie
If your slx is an 8 weight that should do what you want, on that same rod i use a 380 grain barrio switch when there is a bit water on and I'm fishing bigger flies, then low water and night fishing i use the barrio slx for a number 8

Finglas

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice. Unfortunately my slx is a weight 6 I think so probably too light. I would buy another barrio but means I might need to wait a while!

I investigated the rio chucker but at 100 quid it feels a little strange to spend more on the line than the rod but maybe I'm being unreasonable haha!

I'll check out the oracle lines too.

Thanks all,

Jamie

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I can’t see past the barrio switch lines for performance especially against price but like you say no stock. I spoke to Mike via email over a week ago about his switch lines and 1-6 weeks was all he could say.

Finglas

Reaction score
I can’t see past the barrio switch lines for performance especially against price but like you say no stock. I spoke to Mike via email over a week ago about his switch lines and 1-6 weeks was all he could say.

Ahh ok thanks. I'm tempted to wait but you know what it's like. Hard to get a new rod and sit waiting haha.

thank you all,

jamie

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Ahh ok thanks. I'm tempted to wait but you know what it's like. Hard to get a new rod and sit waiting haha.

thank you all,

jamie
Defo worth buying when you can. It does everything Spey, circle c, snap t, rolls and over head casts like a single hander. Turns tips over with ease also. Fantastic line. My young lad and pals got one and they absolutely love it too.

SP8

Reaction score
I bought the Shakespeare switch line that matches the rod and its great
I concur and it works great on my Greys grxi 11'6 6wt double hander. Has anybody tried the Maxcatch switch lines? Their trout lines get good reviews and are very similar to lines costing several times more surprisingly! Of course you may not want to help the Chinese economy but let's face it most of the worlds major tackle companies are.

SP8

AlanT

Reaction score
I concur and it works great on my Greys grxi 11'6 6wt double hander. Has anybody tried the Maxcatch switch lines? Their trout lines get good reviews and are very similar to lines costing several times more surprisingly! Of course you may not want to help the Chinese economy but let's face it most of the worlds major tackle companies are.

SP8
Not tried the Maxcatch switch but have been using one of their 7wt trout lines on a single hander for salmon/sea trout recently, its excellent. It was around £13!

Last edited:
Reactions: SP8

Igaffz

Reaction score
Just get the John Norris switch line, it was designed for the oracle switch rod and flies out.
If you want an oracle switch line I’ll sell you mine it’s awful ?

Speytime

Reaction score
The shakespeare oracle switch line is really good with the rod I thought, but my one screeched going through the guides so it was returned and replaced with a Barrio switch, it's a good enough line but I thought the oracle better it was nicer to cast.
I can't really comment on overhead casting other than the rod will cast 23g overhead its up to you not to be overly enthusiastic with it.

Al

nathaniel.james

Reaction score
I use an Airflo rage 390 grain head. Perfect for spey casting. Will over head cast (not nice with anything beyond intermediate tip) decent but this for me is to use the rod as a short double hander. I change to an intermediate skagit when in high water and this is superb and means I never have to pick up a spinning rod.

the rage can cast anything from 10ft floating tips to T-8 tips

Neil W

Reaction score
Airflo switch floating line is a great line on switch rods. I use the 390gr on the shakie 8/9 which is the same grain weight as the Shakespeare 8/9 Switch line so the 360gr should be perfect on the 7/8. I really don’t understand why more people do not use this excellent line. British made and they don’t crack like pvc lines so last longer.

SP8

Reaction score
Just get the John Norris switch line, it was designed for the oracle switch rod and flies out.
If you want an oracle switch line I’ll sell you mine it’s awful ?
I think you must have got a bad line. I have the Oracle 7/8 and I find it excellent and won't be bothering to get any other line until this one wears out. I believe there have been issues with the coating on some of them but mine is fine.

SP8

boomdocker

Reaction score
I just bought this for my Oracle Switch - 375gr version
Haven't tried it yet but on paper seems to tick the boxes re weight , head length etc.. and reasonable priced
We'll see

boomdocker

Reaction score
I'm sure the Barrio is great, but hasn't been in stock for months and who knows when it will be again!

Cascade

Reaction score
I'm using the 7/8 Maxcatch switch line (25g) on my Oracle switch 7/8 rod and it casts really well....I tend to pull 5 or 6' of line in when overhead casting and it really puts a long line out.
Christened it first time out with a 3lb rainbow trout, and second time out with a 10lb salmon from my local river.
Very happy with the rod, which only cost me £70.