OPST Commando

GeeZedTee

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just got one of these and there is a red label on the box saying
"some lines may be incorrectly tagged.
Thin end to running line.
Thick end (weight marking) to leader"

This is confusing. Are they telling me the label is at the wrong end? Or the way to fit the line?

Shouldn't the thick end be at the running line?

Allt graad

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just got one of these and there is a red label on the box saying
"some lines may be incorrectly tagged.
Thin end to running line.
Thick end (weight marking) to leader"

This is confusing. Are they telling me the label is at the wrong end? Or the way to fit the line?

Shouldn't the thick end be at the running line?

Hi
I've got a couple of these lines.
You should have the thin end to the Runnng line and the printed end to the leader.

LowWaterDouble

Reaction score
OPST Commando Heads: Which Way is Up?

Last year, I confirmed with OPST through email that the tip should be connected to the thicker end of the head.

More interestingly, I attended an event sponsored by some local fly shops earlier this month. One of the speakers was Jerry French, one of the founding members of OPST though he is no longer with them.

He said that the thick end should be attached to the running line if you want to use a polyleader. He said the lines were designed with thick and thin ends to accommodate both tips and polyleaders but that fact has never been advertised.

GeeZedTee

Reaction score
OPST the end game

Last year, I confirmed with OPST through email that the tip should be connected to the thicker end of the head.

More interestingly, I attended an event sponsored by some local fly shops earlier this month. One of the speakers was Jerry French, one of the founding members of OPST though he is no longer with them.

He said that the thick end should be attached to the running line if you want to use a polyleader. He said the lines were designed with thick and thin ends to accommodate both tips and polyleaders but that fact has never been advertised.

Hello LowWaterDouble.
So, just to clarify, if I want to use polyleaders it's thick end attached to running line.
If I want to use MOW tips or Rio tips its the thin end attached to running line?

wilbach

Reaction score
OPST the end game

Hello LowWaterDouble.
So, just to clarify, if I want to use polyleaders it's thick end attached to running line.
If I want to use MOW tips or Rio tips its the thin end attached to running line?

The above is very interesting so I sent the above direct to OPST and this is the answer I had
Hello William,
Good morning and thank you for your interest in our products. That’s interesting to hear Jerry commenting on this, we haven’t dialed that in 100%. He have had reports of folks turning the heads around and putting on tapered polys, Versileaders or OPST tapered Floating Tips and loving the Scandi-Skagit hybrid they have at their fingertips. We haven’t dialed things in 100% so we are waiting to get things fully figured out before we start advertising it. Hope this helps and thanks again. Have a great day.

James Millard
Operations Manager
OPST