Opportunity to fish the Hampshire Avon

Isisalar

Reaction score
Been fishing Winkton fishery on the Hampshire Avon the last few years and I've caught a few. There's one other regular angler trying and he's had a few too, a 16lber last week on an Ally's shrimp. It was for many years regularly fished by experienced anglers and there are a fair few named pools and some good sized fish were taken regularly.
A problem involving catch returns and the EA some years ago meant Salmon fishing was abruptly stopped and all that acquired knowledge has been lost. This means us two are essentially breaking new ground with some help from the helpful Estate bailiff Steve and the club counterpart Ian.
The fishery comprises 3 miles of water immediately above the Royalty, which I'm sure most have heard of, and is the upper tidal limit of the river. So fish fresh off the tide and plenty of space. Some single bank some double.
The river is shared with coarse anglers in season but they almost exclusively fish between the bottom weir and the top weir on a tree lined stretch, the rest is pretty much open and empty. So, it needs more anglers to regain the lost knowledge. There's lots of water that never sees an angler.
It's not the easiest river to fish, very pacy and deep in places, gets weedy in the Summer. Fly only before 15th May, when spinning is allowed. Spinning is allowed Feb 1st onwards, with EA permission, when the level exceeds 1.18 metres at East mills flume gauging station. Salmon fishing has to cease if the temperature at Knapp mill exceeds 19 C. Shrimp and prawn from 16th June, season ends August 31st.
With the Royalty charging £650 for one day a week for the coarse close season and Somerley (10 miles upstream) around £350 syndicate membership you'd be forgiven for thinking it's expensive. It's a coarse and game club and a full ticket is £170 for 12 months. Bargain of the century has to be the game only ticket at £100 for 12 months!
Winkton is not the only fishery, there's lots of other bits on the Avon and the Stour. Have a look.
Mention Isisalar if you join please.
By the way, being so open it can get VERY windy.

budge

Reaction score
Been fishing Winkton fishery on the Hampshire Avon the last few years and I've caught a few. There's one other regular angler trying and he's had a few too, a 16lber last week on an Ally's shrimp. It was for many years regularly fished by experienced anglers and there are a fair few named pools and some good sized fish were taken regularly.
A problem involving catch returns and the EA some years ago meant Salmon fishing was abruptly stopped and all that acquired knowledge has been lost. This means us two are essentially breaking new ground with some help from the helpful Estate bailiff Steve and the club counterpart Ian.
The fishery comprises 3 miles of water immediately above the Royalty, which I'm sure most have heard of, and is the upper tidal limit of the river. So fish fresh off the tide and plenty of space. Some single bank some double.
The river is shared with coarse anglers in season but they almost exclusively fish between the bottom weir and the top weir on a tree lined stretch, the rest is pretty much open and empty. So, it needs more anglers to regain the lost knowledge. There's lots of water that never sees an angler.
It's not the easiest river to fish, very pacy and deep in places, gets weedy in the Summer. Fly only before 15th May, when spinning is allowed. Spinning is allowed Feb 1st onwards, with EA permission, when the level exceeds 1.18 metres at East mills flume gauging station. Salmon fishing has to cease if the temperature at Knapp mill exceeds 19 C. Shrimp and prawn from 16th June, season ends August 31st.
With the Royalty charging £650 for one day a week for the coarse close season and Somerley (10 miles upstream) around £350 syndicate membership you'd be forgiven for thinking it's expensive. It's a coarse and game club and a full ticket is £170 for 12 months. Bargain of the century has to be the game only ticket at £100 for 12 months!
Winkton is not the only fishery, there's lots of other bits on the Avon and the Stour. Have a look.
Wish I was closer, I would be on in a flash. I've been down there on holiday a few times but never fished the Avon, would love to give it a go.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

LouisCha

Reaction score
Thanks Isisalar, I'm on it

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Just a note of caution, I spent several seasons fishing it, nice bit of river, the upper section looks spot on, the only downside was it had never seen any attempt at a bank clearance, multiple years of accumulated growth and subsequent regrowth resulting in a fly fishing nightmare. I hope it is different now, just a wasted resource otherwise, OK for spinning/prawning, just landing fish gets tricky.
The lower section is full of lovely pools, grazed meadows make fly fishing easy, the wind can get tricky, particularly our prevailing SW which is predominantly in your face, especially on the wider pools, but worth some effort, especially later on in the season when the fish slow up their headlong rush upriver.
peter

nickolas

Reaction score
I used to fish Throop on the Stour 55years ago for 4 consecutive years, in that time the salmon fishers disappeared along with the fish.

I would love to hear they have returned.

Isisalar

Reaction score
Thanks Peter. Agreed it's not easy to flyfish, certainly with a double hander except where there are gently sloping gravel banks. I'm thinking that the traditional floating Devon spinning was a brilliant method particularly suited to the Avon. Had we not been banned this spring I'm pretty sure it would have been very effective in the high water.
I'm coming round to the idea of a heavy duty single handed /switch rod for fly-fishing. I've acquired a #9 11'6" switch rod which does the job but is still possibly a bit dangerous with 2"copper tubes in high winds. Still a bit long for overhead work. Thinking of something like a 9' 6" Pike /Tarpon big predator rod.
The fishery Certainly comes into its own when shrimp /prawn is permitted.
All those Somerley fish have come through Winkton after all.
Huge potential for massive improvement and the club is not frightened to improve access./swims where necessary /requested. Last year for example 2 fish were taken from a particular lie from rough ground and now there's a convenient platform to cast from.
Your acquired knowledge would be very welcome to the small community of Winkton Salmon anglers.
With about £200 per annum income from Salmon anglers we can't expect too much support. More anglers = more income = more support.
Go for it chaps, it's got to be the best value Salmon fishing in the country.
And what fish!

AdeyB

Reaction score
Friend and I finally taken out membership , been mulling it over for a couple of years. Hopefully we'll get a chance to check out Winkton very soon ....

Isisalar

Reaction score
I used to fish Throop on the Stour 55years ago for 4 consecutive years, in that time the salmon fishers disappeared along with the fish.

I would love to hear they have returned.
The Stour is certainly an underfished river these days. Make that hardly fished at all.
Whether the Salmon have returned I've no idea. They have on the Avon, same estuary, Who knows? Those 40lb springers might all be running the Stour now. More pioneering work needed.

AdeyB

Reaction score
We've both taken full membership so we can taken advantage of any grayling fishing over the winter. I' d been dithering over joining for a good couple of years - given our spring fishing in Scotland was cancelled and not holding out much hope for early July either it seemed a sensible move. I'm actually keen to have a go at fishing the prawn too ..... must be karma as I'd offered my old bait rod to a member on here last year and they never took it.
Interested to see the club have Whitesheet too , used to fish there regularly years ago.
Photo' s sent across today so guess permits etc. will follow soon.
Hopefully see you down there ! Your post was a prompt to do something about it so thanks for posting !

Isisalar

Reaction score
Winter Grayling fishing at Tincelton on the Frome is excellent by all accounts. 3lb+ fish regularly taken and it's also a pretty good Trout fishery. Visited once this year but we were beaten by torrential rain.
Avon gets a fair run of sea Trout too, unfortunately limited night fishing, until 2 hours after sunset.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
There are some decent grayling on the Avon, the population has grown and spread since weed cutting ceased some years ago, I know they are at Winkton and many other places upriver, Sopley used to have some really good Seatrout water, the grayling will be there too, do CAC still control it?
peter

Isisalar

Reaction score
Still got some Sopley fishing. Difficult to explore much when you're a couple of hours away.
When I feel I've got to know Winkton as well as I can, I may try elsewhere.
Relishing long shots, my next project could well be a Stour Salmon.
Any info?

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Stour salmon, now that is a real challenge, even in the heydays of the 60,s, they were not exactly prolific, but when found were often big, a good friend, a very good friend of the legendary Dave Steurart (probably spelt wrong?) has told me of days spent chasing these fish , with some success, most of the fish caught were 25lb+, mainly by Dave, but few and far between, even then! Salmon still run the Stour for sure, they are probably in the most part un fished for (apart from otters!) The real enigma is that the Stour is a spate river, the Avon, which shares an estuary is ground water fed, what suits one does not suit the other, but given unlimited time, I am sure you could crack the code!!!
peter

Isisalar

Reaction score
I recall an article Dave Stuart wrote for the old Angling magazine where a friend accompanying him on a trip on which he banked a huge fish, 40lb ish,
thought it was pretty boring because he only caught the one. LOL.