Opening of Scottish rivers

Greegs

Reaction score

Fingers crossed theirs some truth in this.

Might get out to play soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ibm59

Reaction score
If indeed it does come to pass , I hope there are stringent rules as to how far one can travel from home to do so.
Say 5 miles tops , and within the area of one’s main residence .
None of this going to a second home , and fishing within 5 miles of there.

There are already sufficient rule bending cyclists , walkers etc . We don’t need any more from any group.

Regards
Resident of area where covid19 cases are still increasing.

ibm59

Reaction score
Are you within 5 miles of your river?
Since you asked so politely , no.
I fish Clyde , Leven . Both are considerably further than 5 miles from my front door.
Nearest salmon river is the Garnock at 10 miles.

Greegs

Reaction score
If indeed it does come to pass , I hope there are stringent rules as to how far one can travel from home to do so.

There are already sufficient rule bending cyclists , walkers etc . We don’t need any more from any group.

Regards

A lot of wee communities won’t want strangers potentially bringing the virus to them.

I would like to think though that the bulk of us Anglers are very conscious of the facts & are a bit more clues up than a lot of the general public.

ibm59

Reaction score
A lot of wee communities won’t want strangers potentially bringing the virus to them.

I would like to think though that the bulk of us Anglers are very conscious of the facts & are a bit more clues up than a lot of the general public.

I’d agree wholeheartedly with the highlighted sentence.

However , I’m far from certain about the other.
Phrases such as ‘ bulk of ‘ , ‘ bit more ‘ , and ‘ than a lot of ‘ make me think , perhaps , that you’re not too sure yourself. ?

If we must takes risks with people’s heath , then I’d far rather those risks were taken in efforts to get people back to work , and in kickstarting the many small self owned businesses that have suffered badly over the last few months .
The fish will still be there later on.

Last edited:

Greegs

Reaction score
I’d agree wholeheartedly with the highlighted sentence.

However , I’m far from certain about the other.
Phrases such as ‘ bulk of ‘ , ‘ bit more ‘ , and ‘ than a lot of ‘ make me think , perhaps , that you’re not too sure yourself.

I’m not.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
No wish to upset anyone. I also live within 5 miles of the river, but not the bit I fish. I will follow the rules as most of us do. Thankfully we do not mind people using the hospitals in the cities. I suspect there may be a distance rule at first. I do not fish with a gillie but I am sure the gillies may think differently. I walked to the local trout lake yesterday to check for poachers (not fish)! Let's see what we are allowed to do before we guess too much more. Tight lines when we get there!

Bulmer

Reaction score

Regards
You can stay in, I'm going fishing as soon as I can... We can go on like this forever

riffled hitch

Reaction score

Regards
I totally agree, the last thing we need is people travelling the length of the country for a days fishing, it definitely should be within a reasonable distance from your place of residence. 10/20 miles.

I will believe it when I see it though, the wee cranky holds all the cards and I await with dread if she decides to play the joker.

Don CurlyHorny

Sang-Froid
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve been out fishing this last week, but looking forward to getting across the border at some point to better fishing. Regardless how we all see it, if it’s government approved, then I’ll be going. Agree Bulmer, can’t stay like this forever.

Jbspring

Reaction score
Like Ive said before, Keep fishing Scottish rivers for Scots within a determined radius from your home. Dont allow travel between the 4 nations unless it is essential and stop the spread.

Jb

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I’ve been out fishing this last week, but looking forward to getting across the border at some point to better fishing. Regardless how we all see it, if it’s government approved, then I’ll be going. Agree Bulmer, can’t stay like this forever.

Aye for no one has ever come to any harm from anything that the government has approved!!! ?

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I've lost enough during this period of lockdown and to be honest I'm more interested in safely getting back to my work than fishing at the moment and making some money to keep the roof over my head, 5 miles would suit me fine if that was the outcome as I've got the Clyde 2 minutes from my door and my local club water for the rainbows 2 minutes from my door , I'd love to go fishing but not at the risk of others

Don CurlyHorny

Sang-Froid
Banned
Reaction score
Aye for no one has ever come to any harm from anything that the government has approved!!! ?

I hear you, but what other justification Is there for making a decision to go or not to go fishing ? Not wishing to upset anyone on here that you’ve never met? It’s time to get some normality back.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I hear you, but what other justification Is there for making a decision to go or not to go fishing ? Not wishing to upset anyone on here that you’ve never met? It’s time to get some normality back.

I'm not really bothered about upsetting anyone. My river is opening on Wednesday this week. It doesn't mean that I have to go fishing. I've already decided that I won't be fishing for a long time yet. In fact, I'm prepared to sit this whole season out unless there are significant changes to infection rates etc. It won't bother me in the slightest.

I don't need justification either way.

Don CurlyHorny

Sang-Froid
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not really bothered about upsetting anyone. My river is opening on Wednesday this week. It doesn't mean that I have to go fishing. I've already decided that I won't be fishing for a long time yet. In fact, I'm prepared to sit this whole season out unless there are significant changes to infection rates etc. It won't bother me in the slightest.

I don't need justification either way.

ok thanks, by quoting me it looks as though you were looking for justification

All the best and tight lines when you get out fishing ?

mc andy

Reaction score
First line of this thread was started on Nichola sturgeon could? I've seen so much nonsense written about what might, what if or we possibly might. Just tosh press trying to make a headline.

I read the other day the Tay system was going to extend its season and be allowed to fish 7 days a week to allow anglers time to catch up! Ehh! wit! As I say so much pish!

Rant over

glenelg100

Reaction score
If rivers do open, and strict traveling distance of around 5 miles or so is implemented. That means only a few people would be allowed to go. It would be of little or no use to the fisheries that have been closed for the last two months. Most salmon rivers nearly always involve travel, with no disrespect to the guys that do live near to the rivers , but if your not going to open them properly stay as we are until we can because all you will get is people traveling far and wide and saying they live up the road.

tealblue

Reaction score
First line of this thread was started on Nichola sturgeon could? I've seen so much nonsense written about what might, what if or we possibly might. Just tosh press trying to make a headline.

I read the other day the Tay system was going to extend its season and be allowed to fish 7 days a week to allow anglers time to catch up! Ehh! wit! As I say so much pish!

Rant over
The law in Scotland doesn't allow fishing on Sunday, the wee free kirk would have a hizzy fit at the mention of this.

Dobbo

Reaction score
Well as a soft southern bstd who is a million miles away from being a TOFF! I suspect that land owners Ghillies, under ghillies, hotels, pubs, chip shops and supermarkets can't wait for the relaxation of the rules. I want to start fishing again and maybe lucky enough to catch a Salmon also support the local community by following any best practice necessary