One Rod Test

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Eeny meeny mynee mo!! Aaargh!!! No it's no good just can't pick one ?‍♂️
Hope my wife doesn't look on the forum ?View attachment 45225
Lovely set of rods there. All Ross’s customs bar the sage igniters and ONE. You know you can get igniter blanks? They’re around $450. I’ve never seen a custom Sage yet.
I don’t see any of your new RJC rods there. Have they not arrived yet?
After drooling over your pic of rods it’s given me an idea for a thread in pics section.

Greegs

Reaction score
Lovely set of rods there. All Ross’s customs bar the sage igniters and ONE. You know you can get igniter blanks? They’re around $450. I’ve never seen a custom Sage yet.
After drooling over your pic of rods it’s given me an idea for a thread in pics section.

A guys just sold one on Facebook.
I would have had it if I had saw the post quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greegs

Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Personally I'd just pack the wee woman's bag's ?? but in the name of the game it would probably be the 13ft 8# vision mag , 30g gaeleforce integrated and the Lamson litespeed 3.5 lV, covers me nicely on the Clyde, Annan, Tweed and the Northie

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score

Hi FS you're right most of those rods are from RJC.
The first of my New RJC rods is the one furthest on the right, it's the 101311. Just waiting for the other to be built.

Findhorn Conehead

budge

Reaction score
Not sure my collection would pay for much of a family holiday as the total for 3 rods, 4 reels, spare spools and lines probably ammounts to a little over £500

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

RUSH

Reaction score
As I mainly fish the clyde my 12ft 6 marksmans 2s vosseler s3 Rio afs or barrio iss 8/9 and when the waters up I’ve fished a 9/10 intermediate afs with it no problem

Coneheads

Reaction score
Eeny meeny mynee mo!! Aaargh!!! No it's no good just can't pick one ?‍♂️
Hope my wife doesn't look on the forum ?View attachment 45225
What a collection 3 look brand new Sages ? 7 custom built ?
If I had to get a custom built rod I would have them made with shorter handles ,as most rods on the market are 3 inches to long ,more so on the longer rods ? rod handles are ok if if you built like Garth 6 ft 9 ".

Kin36

Reaction score
Unfished vision xo 13.6 and Einarsson 8 plus reel. Guideline 4D with all the tips. I think I have been far more loyal to reels than rods over the years. Still have my original Lamson velocity in 3.5 and 4. A reel that didn’t improve with design iterations. Lighter often not better and the original finish is bullet proof.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gaula

Reaction score
as I have only 2 salmon rods, I would be keeping both of them,
they are. 14'6'' hardy zephrus, & a bruce & walker, walker series 15'6''

Handel

Reaction score
Unfished vision xo 13.6 and Einarsson 8 plus reel. Guideline 4D with all the tips. I think I have been far more loyal to reels than rods over the years. Still have my original Lamson velocity in 3.5 and 4. A reel that didn’t improve with design iterations. Lighter often not better and the original finish is bullet proof.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the original Litespeed 4 and have the same opinion of it.

Pompero

Reaction score
I have the original Litespeed 4 and have the same opinion of it.
This is completely off topic, but I think most people tend to fish with way to light reels. And then they complain about "tip heavy" rods. They are not being helped by manufactorers labeling them accoring to line weight either, which says absolutely nothing at all, and the modern obsession with reducing weight everywhere. The only argument for fishing very light reels are for dry fly fishing with outfits lighter than 9 #5. Rant over ;)

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
This is completely off topic, but I think most people tend to fish with way to light reels. And then they complain about "tip heavy" rods. They are not being helped by manufactorers labeling them accoring to line weight either, which says absolutely nothing at all, and the modern obsession with reducing weight everywhere. The only argument for fishing very light reels are for dry fly fishing with outfits lighter than 9 #5. Rant over ;)
Have to say I fully agree and have seen so many people struggling with a set up that's not correctly balanced.

Findhorn Conehead

AlanT

Reaction score

Totally agree, I for one cant fish with a lot of these super light modern reels

Tyke

Reaction score
I like to fish the classic Scottish salmon rivers, & I really enjoy early spring & (historically) back-end sunk line fishing. So my all-round compromise would be my 14 ft #9/10 Loomis NRX as this is the most versatile rod I've owned in terms of being capable of (almost) everything I need.

Pre shooting heads, & maybe a touch lighter, I would have said the B&W 13 ft Norway Speycaster- which was (& still is) an excellent rod capable of a wide range of line weights & sink rates, including shooting heads actually. Certainly on smaller rivers this is a better option than the NRX 14 footer.

But I'm single, so I don't have to worry about such a nightmare scenario &, if I did, then I agree with Rennie's answer.....

Regards, Tyke.

ACW

Reaction score
My go too rod is a sage fli 14 ft,got it when they were being discontinued at a very favoable price find it does me on the spey <Wye,and Bonar bridge carron and the town water matched with a system 11 and a snowbee 2d sink tip or a set of heads on a purple/black speyco reel thatmatches my silk cut shrimps and gets me accussed of being a soft southern shirtlifter!

onelastcast

Reaction score
Carron 13ft#9 for me, it will cast all lines from salmologic heads to to carron 65ft and all in between so would do everything I need -but I would dearly miss my salmologic 13ft3 skyborn,onelastcast

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
My go too rod is a sage fli 14 ft,got it when they were being discontinued at a very favoable price find it does me on the spey <Wye,and Bonar bridge carron and the town water matched with a system 11 and a snowbee 2d sink tip or a set of heads on a purple/black speyco reel thatmatches my silk cut shrimps and gets me accussed of being a soft southern shirtlifter!
[/

I am curious. I’ve not come across a System 11 before. Was it devloped in Area 51? Enquiring minds need to know....

Regards

NHP

Willow3

Reaction score
I would keep a 14ft Sage TCX #9 with Loop Classic Reel and Rio Scandi multi-tip for double handed salmon.
I would use a Hardy Zenith 10 ft #7 trout rod for the small rivers and hitch flies plus lake fishing.

lowforcefly

Reaction score
Loop Opti power 13'#9:giggle: with a Danielsson 7-12 control, 600 Rage SH....I know it's a 'Marmite' rod but I love it...?
Loop Evotec 10'#8 for the hitch, Greys 380 G-Tec, with a WFF #8 Rio Grande, it's just a pleasure to fish.....All day!
Bought a greys 12'#9 G-Tec when JN were selling them off...worked OK with a Snowbee 2D for small river work, so happy....then whilst messing about in garden, getting a bit of casting practise, tried a 570 rage on it..it flew? So had to try a 600 Rage...then spent 20 mins trying to extract the head from top of the trees at bottom of garden !:eek: never realised just how powerful a little rod it is ?

Mel....