One for the Road Racing Fans!

budge

Reaction score
Some great tales there guys keep them coming I have met most of the racers at the TT over the years. Guy was a very approachable and friendly fella before he became a TV celebrity, he tends to shy away from the limelight now. Some of his startline interviews were hilarious and probably what got him noticed by the media. I had a chat with Hicky during his first visit, I couldn't believe how chilled and laid back he was after completing a few blistering practice laps. John Mcguiness is still the same bloke he was twenty years ago, always there to meet the fans. The Queens or Terminus pubs were always somewhere you bumped into racers on the Saturday night before mad Sunday. It's all gone a bit more corporate now though which is a shame but a sign of the times I suppose.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Hickey seems a real down to earth chap. My friend knows him quite well and has been out on a few nights out with him when he's been here promoting different things.

My only real interaction with him was the last year of the NW200. He was hanging up t-shirts and hoodies, his own merchandising, and standing with a bum bag on taking money while people were looking for photos and autographs. He took time for everyone.

He probably sold far more merchandise with him actually selling it than he would have paying someone else to run things for him.

Apparently he is quite a shrewd businessman and has a few other quite lucrative ventures going on behind the scenes.

Wafty Cranker

Reaction score
Cracking tale.

I worked around Portpatrick for a bit so can relate to the swell, and somehwere in my pile of photos I have a one of a Katana I used to ride, blast from the past that.
I spend a lot of time at Portpatrick, sea fishing and boozing, my mate owns the Crown hotel there, the walls could tell you some stories in that pub for sure;)

Was a pillion on my bros Katana once or twice, horrible thing to sit on the back, absolutely nothing to hang onto at 145mph, asre slipping off the seat, the faster we went my bro was putting his head down on tank, very little thought to me catching all the wind on the back:rolleyes: This bro of mine fell asleep on M6 heading to the TT while riding his bike, if i was not on the back seat and punched his ribs he would have been doing a headstand on the central reservation with his bike following him, all this in the outside lane at 90mpho_O It was a very miserable trip down and one lad with us had 2 punctures in the first 50 miles, tw*t left the tyre lever inside the tyre which we did not find till the second puncture, all this in persisting rain.

On the ferry to Douglas i asked him what he was doing, he said he started thinking of log fires and warm soup and stuff like that and just shut his eyes momentarily. I only replied with WTF and left it at that:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Wafty Cranker

Reaction score
To be honest i am not the kind of person that is star struck, can't be bothered with all the celebrity nonsense, i admire people for what they have acheived and the skills they have. There are some real prima donas racing bikes, Foggy was one, although he seems to have become human since he stopped racing.
When he was racing he really was kinda stuck up and full of himself, one day some of my mates spotted him and went over to ask him if he was happy enough to let them have a photo, anyway he was smirking away and said "Aye, that's fine lads" so my mate walks up to him and hands him the camera, while my mates step back and put their arms around each other in a pose to have their photo taken by Foggy. He was flaming and spitting whilst my mates were rolling about with laughter.
Had a few beers with Hicky in Spain, when you see what that guy has been doing on the TT circuit with a 200bhp bike it is absolutely mind blowing to be honest, i really take my hat off to these guys🤩

Missingfishing

Reaction score

TT to be streamed live in 2022 on a dedicated channel. Not quite the same as being there, but it appears that there will be TT content available all year round. No mention of whether it will be on a Freeview channel or pay per view.

Jockiescott

Reaction score

TT to be streamed live in 2022 on a dedicated channel. Not quite the same as being there, but it appears that there will be TT content available all year round. No mention of whether it will be on a Freeview channel or pay per view.

I believe its a subscription based online streaming channel.

I'm not sure if it's the IOM government who are running it but they'll generate a hell of an income out of it.

budge

Reaction score
There's proposals for extra racing days too after next year including a race on what is normally mad Sunday and senior race day moved from Friday to Saturday. All geared to increasing revenue in my view.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
There's proposals for extra racing days too after next year including a race on what is normally mad Sunday and senior race day moved from Friday to Saturday. All geared to increasing revenue in my view.

That seems to be the way of it alright.

Extra races for superstock and supertwin classes, which has also been altered to allow more manufacturers to enter, and also some changes to the engines that can be used in sidecars.

A lot of effort seems to be getting put in to the TT fan park also.

They're also hoping the new ferry will be in service which they hope will allow more visitors to the island, spread over the extra days.

Fair play to them for trying to generate revenues without sticking it on the fans. I dread to think what it will cost for programmes, grandstand seats, paddock passes and car parking at next year's NW200.

budge

Reaction score
I think it's just a matter of time before there's a compulsory fee to watch the tt races and to walk around the paddock. I was having a look on the website yesterday, grandstand seats for senior race day next year £60 . I watched there once but It wasn't great. Can't beat being up on the mountain somewhere away from the crowds.
New engine rules should make things a bit more interesting if enough people use them. Will be nice hearing something different in the sidecars although it won't be anything like the days of the big 2 strokes

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Highlights of Saturday's Armoy Road Races are being shown this evening on BBC1 Northern Ireland at 10:35.

Sky Channel 953 for those outside NI. Also being shown on the iplayer.

Last edited:

budge

Reaction score
I saw an article, that Valentino Rossi is retiring at the end of
the season, moto gp, won't be the same without him.
Not sure it's official yet but probably right as he's set up his own MotoGP race team for next year. A shame he has faded away from his former glories, probably should have quit while he was at the top of his game.
Just wish there was someone else with the character,skill and sense of humour to take his place instead of the dull clones we have now.

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

budge

Reaction score
Looks as though it is official now regarding Rossi retiring, I just read an article on it.
A huge loss to MotoGP but something that was coming sooner or later.

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I prefer watching world superbikes now in preference to
Moto up, there seems to be more action .

I'd have to agree with that. I never really followed Moto GP for some reason. Being from Northern Ireland, I would be more interested in following Johnny Rae.

Wafty Cranker

Reaction score
That was some MotoGP race at the weekend, well worth watching. The Moto3 is banzai mad every race, it is always worth watching. Missing getting to the road races though, i do hope next year is better.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Highlights of yesterday's Cookstown 100 will be shown on BBC1 NI on Wednesday evening at 10:35

Last edited: