On the dangle

johnwest

Reaction score
It was a first for me on Monday fishing my local small spate river. I had just changed to a cascade and was fishing down into a nice wee pool and the fly had come round on the dangle when I connected with I thought a fish when I lifted into it I thought I had caught up on a log with the fish behind it. Then I realised it was an otter I don't think it was on the jacket but in its mouth had two runs across the pool before it parted company thank goodness. I had decided before that to try and get it in and then think about how to deal with it don't know what would have happened it was I think last years kit. I certainly didn't want to have hooked it unfortunately the cast broke at the hook so I hopefully it will work itself out. Anyone else had that experience of unusual hook ups.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I’ve been robbed by a seal in the Tay estuary fly fishing for sea trout. I hooked into a lovely sea trout around the 2-3lb mark seen the flash in the water then the water around the fish just sunk and my reel started screaming. Got a great run off it :LOL: Before it broke me and stole both my flies and my fish. The hairy bugger popped up behind the boat about 30ft away and stared at me Chomping away on my fish?

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Probably a good job it broke you, quite how you would deal with a scared otter does not bare thinking about, they have some serious teeth, shame to leave hooks in it, but not exactly by choice. I have dealt with a few cormorants whilst pike fishing, they are not friendly, but a towel or similar over its head helps, not sure that would help with an otter though!

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I’ve actually got 2 other bizarre hook ups other than the bat which I’m sure most of us have caught at some time. One of them is hilarious.
first one was me again out on wee jiffy boat for the sea trout when I got a knock strike I’m in yup defo on then up pops a bird? it was a bit like a wee penguin the way it “flew” under the water. I believe they are called sheer waters.
Any way it was pissed right off:LOL: and took 2of us to remove from my line.
This Second story is a cracker
I was fly fishing as a lad with my pal on this wee stocked old mill pond that was part of a caravan site up the glens. The site had lots of birds freely walking about loads of hens ducks of every variety geese swans even had a pea cock. Anyway my pal cast a wee pheasant tail nymph on a double into the pond making sure he was a good 20ft away from the 2 white geese sitting in the pond. As soon as his fly hit the water a goose stood up and clocked it. So my mate thought F catching that and stripped his line in as quick as he could. Well the goose took off after it running on the water like it was away to take off then bang he was on :ROFLMAO: and that’s not the funniest bit. The other goose must of been the male thought one of 2 things.
1 either his missus is doing some sexy dance or
2 right I’m well exploiting this situation as he jumped on her back and decided to start riding her :ROFLMAO:
So there’s my pal playing 2 large white geese
Brilliant
The male eventually jumped of after a decent fight/shag and we managed to drag the poor dear in. It took both of us to free it both barbs right through its tongue. One holding the body under the arm/ lying on it holding its head other removing the hook. Not to be recommended but was a laugh.

johnwest

Reaction score
Probably a good job it broke you, quite how you would deal with a scared otter does not bare thinking about, they have some serious teeth, shame to leave hooks in it, but not exactly by choice. I have dealt with a few cormorants whilst pike fishing, they are not friendly, but a towel or similar over its head helps, not sure that would help with an otter though!
Yes agree wasn't wanting to go to phase 2?

Salarspeycaster

Reaction score
I was once fishing out on Humbolt bay for chinook salmon and to my dismay a sea lion robbed me of my biggest salmon ever hooked. It was some fight I can tell you, but eventually there was a parting of our ways, I thought the line had snapped, but no, a decapitated head is wound in, and I ask the captain what size he thought it was, “ 25-28lb” was his reply, and tbh he was more pissed than I was! Unfortunately, the same creature continued to rob me of another 4 fish! Somehow or other though, I did manage to land 4 fish.

Finglas

Reaction score
I was once fishing out on Humbolt bay for chinook salmon and to my dismay a sea lion robbed me of my biggest salmon ever hooked. It was some fight I can tell you, but eventually there was a parting of our ways, I thought the line had snapped, but no, a decapitated head is wound in, and I ask the captain what size he thought it was, “ 25-28lb” was his reply, and tbh he was more pissed than I was! Unfortunately, the same creature continued to rob me of another 4 fish! Somehow or other though, I did manage to land 4 fish.

Goodness I thought for a moment you had pulled the head off the sea lion......then I thought the sea lion had continued to take fish without it's head! Surely not! haha

jamie

Salarspeycaster

Reaction score
Goodness I thought for a moment you had pulled the head off the sea lion......then I thought the sea lion had continued to take fish without it's head! Surely not! haha

jamie
Yep, the sea lion got away with the rest of the fish. ? Here’s a photo of the cheeky chappie.
E97D4789-E514-42EE-8B5D-796AA758CD96.jpeg

PerryPoker

Reaction score
I had hold a seagull a good few years back when fishing my local estuary for flatties. I cast my bait of fresh herring across the water and over shot it and it landed on the sand bar. Before I could do anything about it, a seagull that was sitting on the sand bar grabbed my bait and took off into the air with it! It flew around for a bit before the bait was dropped. Thankfully the hook didn’t stick in its mouth.

Salarspeycaster

Reaction score
In my time as a Ghillie I’ve had to unhook 2 adult swans (scary) both hooked by the same man within minutes of each other, after I had warned him of their presence in our vicinity, and only a week or two ago a cygnet that one of my fishers had managed to hook. In both incidences it took some deft teamwork to deal with the situations. All birds were returned to the water unharmed.
I myself have had two unusual hookups. One was fly fishing for trout at night on a very lovely Cumbrian stream. It was really pretty dark and I couldn’t see very much at all, and I became aware after a cast that something wasn’t right, my line was not coming round in the current and I couldn’t seem to cast a proper line. After much peering into the gloom I became dimly aware of the end of the fly line rising up out of the water. Puzzled, I put the rod down, no easy task when wading in the middle of the river, but I found a rock jutting out of the water and rested my rod precariously on it and proceeded to hand line the fly line back toward me. You can imagine my surprise when I came face to face with a bat! Again, the startled creature lived to see another day.
The last story comes from the same trout stream, but this one occurred in daylight. I’d found a rising trout on a glide next to a grazing field, and thought I stood a good chance of covering it even though it was a good way across the pool. Gradually I extended my line across the the pool until on the back cast there was a whack and a vicious screaming of the reel, as I turned and looked, I was startled to see I’d hooked a sheep in the rear and it was making a determined run across the field. Needless to say it reached the backing knot and a bit of long distance catch and release was practiced.

Reaction score
I myself have had two unusual hookups. One was fly fishing for trout at night on a very lovely Cumbrian stream. It was really pretty dark and I couldn’t see very much at all, and I became aware after a cast that something wasn’t right, my line was not coming round in the current and I couldn’t seem to cast a proper line. After much peering into the gloom I became dimly aware of the end of the fly line rising up out of the water. Puzzled, I put the rod down, no easy task when wading in the middle of the river, but I found a rock jutting out of the water and rested my rod precariously on it and proceeded to hand line the fly line back toward me. You can imagine my surprise when I came face to face with a bat! Again, the startled creature lived to see another day.
I had a similar experience night fishing for sea trout on the Annan. The bat was foul hooked so I let it go.

Salarspeycaster

Reaction score
I had hold a seagull a good few years back when fishing my local estuary for flatties. I cast my bait of fresh herring across the water and over shot it and it landed on the sand bar. Before I could do anything about it, a seagull that was sitting on the sand bar grabbed my bait and took off into the air with it! It flew around for a bit before the bait was dropped. Thankfully the hook didn’t stick in its mouth.
I was fishing the Moy Estuary for sea trout some years back with a free lined sandeel, and a tough gull swooped down and plucked my bait out of the water and proceeded to hook itself in the beak. We wound the bird back to the boat and our expert skipper got the hook out in a flash with the forceps and the bird flew off just fine. Blow me if I didn’t come right back and did the same again. And then again. After three goes I think it finally learned a lesson.