Old Poacher

Wee Double

Reaction score
Evening All

Got some new toys delivered and don't have any rivers to test them out on. Big tides next week and there will be enough rip to draw the line nicely and hopefully some bass about, but tempted to strap the new rod to my mountain bike and cycle down the local reservoir.

Got my Barrio switch line to try out, and new rod and reel, and thought i could probably sneak down to the local reservoir as it gets dark for couple of flicks. Obviously i'm not that bothered about catching any rainbows, but there's something appealing about poaching the place and hooking up with the new rod, and seeing how the Barrio works on the rod. Doubt anyone will be there and there's a real element of excitement about this. It's about 10 minutes from house, and you can approach it through some fields and a little valley. I used to have a ticket for the place, but not for at least ten years.

Should I do it, or grow up? I'll be 48 in a few weeks and it's not something i've done since 16. Has anyone else thought like this, it seems a bit childish?

The rod n reel have been purchased for my Deveron trip in September which looks as if it's happening :D

Cheers

Naughty WD

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Evening All

Got some new toys delivered and don't have any rivers to test them out on. Big tides next week and there will be enough rip to draw the line nicely and hopefully some bass about, but tempted to strap the new rod to my mountain bike and cycle down the local reservoir.

Got my Barrio switch line to try out, and new rod and reel, and thought i could probably sneak down to the local reservoir as it gets dark for couple of flicks. Obviously i'm not that bothered about catching any rainbows, but there's something appealing about poaching the place and hooking up with the new rod, and seeing how the Barrio works on the rod. Doubt anyone will be there and there's a real element of excitement about this. It's about 10 minutes from house, and you can approach it through some fields and a little valley. I used to have a ticket for the place, but not for at least ten years.

Should I do it, or grow up? I'll be 48 in a few weeks and it's not something i've done since 16. Has anyone else thought like this, it seems a bit childish?

The rod n reel have been purchased for my Deveron trip in September which looks as if it's happening :D

Cheers

Naughty WD

I'm 47 and iv done it, and yes it is exciting.
Not saying where though, not on my local Ribble mind ;-). Obviously if theres a big risk (thrown out of clubs etc) it's not worth it but the odd low risk naughty cast cast can set the childhood buzz off again. As my mate would say 'ventured into chinese airspace did we?'

Marcus c

Reaction score
Do u want to grow up?Go for it and enjoy the rush_?(sensible advice from a fellow mid life crisis participant)

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I have dealt with a few poaching incidences, not my thing at all, i like to fish without looking over my shoulder, buy a ticket, it will probably be less than the new rod etc, which you could well loose if caught!

Jack Holroyd

Reaction score
Thinking back to the 70s and 80s and we did twist the rules a bit ,sometimes a lot ,,,ish, but we were never caught. I know this is no excuse and am embarrassed for my past infractions......Dont ask.

Stuart1108

Reaction score
Just make a set of boards like the old men of years gone by if your gna get caught might as well have a few fish before u run haha not that I would support this ?

Wee Double

Reaction score
Haha, guess there's some old poachers on here, brilliant.

Ended up getting the BBQ on and having a bottle of wine so probably best to stay put right now.

There is some inspiration in this thread that makes me want to do it even more. Maybe a 5am first light job?

I remember cycling from Cumbernauld and meeting some boys from Croy at midnight and cycling up the Tak Ma Doon to poach the North Third by 5am. Off the water by 8am. Good times on a BMX

Bubble floats with maggot and fly :love:

WD

westie4566

Reaction score
Thinking back to the 70s and 80s and we did twist the rules a bit ,sometimes a lot ,,,ish, but we were never caught. I know this is no excuse and am embarrassed for my past infractions......Dont ask.
Embarrassed??? Mind I know you Holroyd ? ?

I think there are more of us on this forum, of a certain age, who were probably a wee touch 'wide' in their misspent youth, than would ever admit to it.

Naturally, I was whiter than white.......?:rolleyes:

Elibank

Reaction score

Ended up getting the BBQ on and having a bottle of wine so probably best to stay put right now.

There is some inspiration in this thread that makes me want to do it even more. Maybe a 5am first light job?

I remember cycling from Cumbernauld and meeting some boys from Croy at midnight and cycling up the Tak Ma Doon to poach the North Third by 5am. Off the water by 8am. Good times on a BMX

WD
You have a BMX? This is outrageous, totally outrageous.

I’m outraged...

ArchieL

Reaction score

WD

I used to hear stories that the back of the 2nd Dam was quite productive with the bubble and maggot wound in slow at night however i also heard stories that the poachers were chased on more than 1 occasion from the local plod ;)

AlanT

Reaction score
Do it!
I occasionally hire a cottage near Bakewell and have been known to pop out for a wee cast in the Wye which would just about get you the death penalty.
I spot fish during the day and pop out close to dark. I just make sure I look like a tourist out walking his dog but find the blindspots and dont fish long at any one time.
I just got back to the cottage one night and I could see the land rover out looking for me with guys with torches. It was brillant, the rest of the family were mortified with me.
I persuaded my son (22yo) to come along one night, I think kids are actually quite risk averse these days so he was nervous but loved the excitement of it once it was over. I thought it was a good lesson for him on taking risks in life, but being measured about it.
Heres a pic of one of the trout no more than 200yrds from one of the cottages.
Great stuff and I'm 53, normally a very law abiding individual. . . .

100_3092.JPG

Last edited:

AlanT

Reaction score
I think there are more of us on this forum, of a certain age, who were probably a wee touch 'wide' in their misspent youth, than would ever admit to it.
Yeh, totally. I spent my youth fishing the borders rivers (still do), occasionally Id accidentally wander into Boleside and other prolific beats, or head up to known spots on the Ettrick or Yarrow in May knowing what was there ?
I didnt class myself as a poacher as I was catching fish 'legitimately' (usually worm), poachers were guys who netted, cleeked or sneggled fish right?
And honestly I had a decent relationship with the TC as I always had a trout permit and fished light gear. Bumped into them quite a few times on night fishing fishing big flees for trout. They'd be watching me then, once satisfied that I was fishing properly move in for a chat (which gave you a fright). But all good, once they were gone I could concentrate on the ST. . . .

Last edited:

goosander

Reaction score
In my youth I was surrounded by private waters. Syndicate that had 5 large lochs and hardly ever fished. We used to go in for a game of darts and the loser bought the half pints before it got dusk. The police would look in and see the fishing rods there and head up to the lochs later to look for us. Although we caught a lot of fish they were all eaten and none wasted. The only way you knew we had been there would be some footprints below the water level. Never left any litter or other signs. Used to be fun watching a new fishing friend when he heard a man cough. We new it was only the cattle. That sort of fishing taught one to read the water and not to scare fish. Be a hunter not a caster.
Nowadays being a member of several fishing clubs I still have a blind spot for someone fishing properly. They are usually just looking for a bit of sport like us. When one thinks back to those days the fields were full of partridges/hares and other food just waiting for you. September you would come home with a bag of fish plus mushrooms/water cress/rabbits or a hare [you always carried a snare or 2] turnips and other food.
Ho to be as fit now as then,
Bob.