Old Photos

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
Perfect for lockdown

2FE64F84-CED8-4C2F-9149-085BC2B29769.jpeg

scotsmac1

Reaction score
A few old photos of the Caul in Dumfries.

Repairing the basins, circa 1920.
View attachment 54202

Kids swimming below the Caul, no date, wouldn't be allowed to do this nowadays.
View attachment 54203

Netters below the caul, looks early 1900's.
View attachment 54204
Well that brings back some memories.
Waiting for bus at the Sands, watching kids with Bamboo pole, with a snare on the end, tailing salmon out standing in their swiming trunks.
The fish would lie thick along the wall side, below each ladder.
Those where the days !!!

keirstream

Reaction score
These were photos of my dad when he was a goalkeeper in his young days a Berwick Rangers.

Incedently .. jock Wallace took over the sticks from him and he lost his chance to play against Glasgow Rangers in that famous cup victory.

Sammy Reid the goalscorer that day must've felt sorry for him because he gave my dad his shirt after the game and we still have it to this day.
My Mum and Dad's next door neighbour at that time was Mr & Mrs Kilgannon whose son who still lived with them was Jim Kilgannon.
Your Dad would have known him well as he played right half for Berwick Rangers and was in the giant slaying team.
I still remember that day well when Jim came back to the village after the game to a huge reception.(y)

lefthandup

Reaction score
My Mum and Dad's next door neighbour at that time was Mr & Mrs Kilgannon whose son who still lived with them was Jim Kilgannon.
Your Dad would have known him well as he played right half for Berwick Rangers and was in the giant slaying team.
I still remember that day well when Jim came back to the village after the game to a huge reception.(y)
I will have to ask him, I once met a fishermen when ghillieing on the Tweed who's dad played with my dad...wonder if it's the same fella.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Yes...same guy ,Im sure it was his son I met on the river .👍

keirstream

Reaction score
I will have to ask him, I once met a fishermen when ghillieing on the Tweed who's dad played with my dad...wonder if it's the same fella.
Yip,
that would be Jamie who owns Kilgannon Motors in Bannockburn, a good fishing (and drinking) pal of mine.
He used to take loads of fishing mostly at the Lennel but not restricted to there.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Yip,
that would be Jamie who owns Kilgannon Motors in Bannockburn, a good fishing (and drinking) pal of mine.
He used to take loads of fishing mostly at the Lennel but not restricted to there.
It was Tillmouth where I met him, defenately the same guy .