Off the mark

Tyke

Reaction score
I started my 2016 season today and was off the mark with a 9lb springer this morning, and lost a second one just over an hour later, on Upper Floors.

I didn't get the trophy for the first fish though as junction landed one about 45 minutes earlier and they had a second fish this afternoon.

But the one I'm envious of is from Upper Makerstoun - they reported a 20lb'er today; now that is the way to start a season! Well done to the captor of that beauty, if it pulled as hard pound for pound as mine I bet someone's got a sore drinking arm tonight.

It can only go downhill from here............

Regards Tyke.

Tyke

Reaction score
The fish had their revenge today, 2 hooked. played and lost when in close.

Arghhhhh!!!

Still smarting, Tyke.

Tyke

Reaction score
The way all four reacted I would have to say springers, the 3 lost fish felt just like the springer I landed and didn't do the kelt's jag-jag splashy stuff on the surface; also they were strong and determined to stay deep.

In fact only one kelt was sighted on the surface as it came out and skittered across the top, 3 times in succession, during both days by anyone on the beat; the boatmen were under the impression that there were very few left in the beat after the floods - and as Upper Floors is quite fast streamy water, which at that height was strong, the kelt's would probably drop down and hold at the bottom of Lower Floors in the slow deep water above the cauld at the top of Junction.

Also my experience with hungry kelt's is that they are usually very well hooked indeed (forceps job), resulting in stinging and bleeding fingers on a freezing day; the fresh fish don't seem to swallow it in the same way - which is just as well if your' trying to release them unharmed!

Now I'll probably be proved wrong as they land about 30 kelt's a day next week...........

Regards, Tyke.

PS, home a day early as we lost Saturday due to the river coming up about 1'9" and turning mucky; still, as 'Mr Loaf' said "2 outa 3 ain't bad". T.

Tyke

Reaction score
I have just noticed that Lower Floors has posted 9 fish today on the Tweedbeats site catches page - I really hope this isn't a Typo, if not then the rods had a hell of day's fishing!

Regards, Tyke.