Of fish and foe

Johnnieboy

Reaction score
Of fish and foe on bbc Scotland tonight @21:45:
A family of salmon fisherman battle with activists to save their traditional way of life.

Is this an this old thing I’ve missed?
If it is a reminder to anyone else....I can’t take anymore only fools and horses on gold😂

Last edited:

Loxie

Reaction score
Of fish and foe on bbc Scotland tonight @21:45:
A family of salmon fisherman battle with activists to save their traditional way of life.

Is this an this old thing I’ve missed?
If it is a reminder to anyone else....I can’t take anymore only fools and horses on gold😂
Im guessing it's about Usan vs STA, anglers, seal lovers etc.

westie4566

Reaction score
Im guessing it's about Usan vs STA, anglers, seal lovers etc.
It is indeed.

I shall refrain from watching as don't want to trying to buy a new TV tomorrow!!

Perhaps it should have been re-titled, 'Of fish and greedy, convicted poachers'.:tongue:

gwelsher

Reaction score
It is indeed.

I shall refrain from watching as don't want to trying to buy a new TV tomorrow!!

Perhaps it should have been re-titled, 'Of fish and greedy, convicted poachers'.:tongue:
Oh come on. It surely wasn't their fault that they had to leave the nets out during the slap it was HSE and I'm sure Usan were surprised to find salmon in them when they pulled them on Monday :doh::confused::shocked::doh::noidea::fish:

I shall refrain from watching as well.

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
My best guess is that they have moved their operation to the Teith this year.
Haven't seen a fin this spring and sadly, most unlikely now to do so.:(

Loxie

Reaction score
Oh come on. It surely wasn't their fault that they had to leave the nets out during the slap it was HSE and I'm sure Usan were surprised to find salmon in them when they pulled them on Monday :doh::confused::shocked::doh::noidea::fish:

I shall refrain from watching as well.
And they couldn't put them back because they didn't know which fish they had caught on the weekend!!

keirstream

Reaction score
Tcht Tcht Tcht.:(
How narrow minded.:nod:
I'll watch it in the sure and certain knowledge that the time honoured B.B.C. reputation for producing fair, objective and unbiased programmes will remain intact with this offering.
Their coverage of the Aquaculture debate so far gives me great heart and belief that will be the case.:shocked::shocked:

ozzyian

Reaction score
This is a critically acclaimed and award winning documentary When you see who the Pullars are ranged against you will almost certainly change your opinion as to who the goodies and who the baddies are:)

westie4566

Reaction score
This is a critically acclaimed and award winning documentary When you see who the Pullars are ranged against you will almost certainly change your opinion as to who the goodies and who the baddies are:)
I just prefer to go by the legal stuff Ian. They're convicted poachers, end of!:thumb:

Loxie

Reaction score
Hunt sabs are the worst scum I've ever come across. They all wear masks and are psychotic people haters.

Last edited:

Loxie

Reaction score
It's a bit like watching Wales v Ireland in the 6 Nations, you really want both sides to loose!!

Greegs

Reaction score
How many fish per year were the nets taking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishpond

Reaction score
At least they arent pestering law abiding citizens further inland - so they are worried about the seals and the birds but not the salmon - one of the icons of scotland along with stags etc - are they pestering the culling teams working for forestry scotland too?

Tight lines

Richard

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

westie4566

Reaction score
OK...so against better judgement, I did watch it, and my telly is still intact!

I'll go further to say that I enjoyed it as much was filmed around Gamrie which is where my grandfather and uncle farmed. I grew up in Macduff with Pat Sellars (one half of the local netsmen) as a neighbour. Furthermore, it through up an old character from my past that I thought would be dead by now, not still working!! Jimmy Minty! A lovely guy who was bailiff on the Deveron when I was a kid...and I'm 54 in 6 weeks time!!

So much nostalgia for me.

However to temper the above, the Pullar's got everything they deserved for years of poaching.

Here's the picture that I took from my friends plane on a Sunday afternoon a few years back, off Pennan, that led to a Board /Police 'stakeout' which helped with their conviction. Also one of our flight path that afternoon. For those that don't know...that's a fully deployed leader leading to a net just in front of the planes wing strut.Pennan nets.jpgFlight plan.jpg

ozzyian

Reaction score
TBH they came across as a pretty reasonable bunch of fellas. Obviously took an ill advised flexible approach to ceasing fishing on Fri afternoon.

Putting the salmon connection aside it's an excellent documentary, very nicely filmed and tells a story of the modern world vs the traditional.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Now estuaries are full of seals and even less salmon about then when they were netting.
Bob.
That issue arose on the Welsh Dee. Netsmen were allowed to protect their nets, which often included use of a gun.
The Dee Anglers Trust bought up all the netting licenses. Now we get seals 10 miles off the tide.
Unintended consequence.

ibm59

Reaction score
Watched the first 15 mins
Wont be watching any more.

keirstream

Reaction score
I was overcome with emulsion for them, almost to the point of actually feeling sorry for them.:shocked:
Especially when the lady of teutonic origins I expect told them they were ruining her traditonal view and experience of the place. A tough gig right enough.:)
Points to observe though;
It was a rather unholy alliance that was forged with Sea Shepherd, which they and groups like them will conveniently forget when they start making excursions into sporting estates like Hughie's. I'll bet he won't be so reticent to talk to the cameras then.:eek:hwell:
I don't miss the netsmen, but I certainly do miss their control of seal numbers in our rivers.
Have we jumped out the frying pan and into the fire?
Only time will tell.:nod:
Kevin was good though.
I'll bet he has joined the Polis.:thumb:

P.S. Martin Stansfield's a cracker isn't he??
Crankier by the day.:)

Last edited:

tenet

Reaction score
No wonder it was on BBC Scotland - couldn't understand a word of it.😁😁😁

One of the protagonists looked like Owen Jones from the Guardian and another may well have been transgender (not that that matters of course).

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I was overcome with emulsion for them, almost to the point of actually feeling sorry for them.:shocked:
Especially when the lady of teutonic origins I expect told them they were ruining her traditonal view and experience of the place. A tough gig right enough.:)
It was a rather unholy alliance that was forged with Sea Shepherd, which they and groups like them will conveniently forget when they start making excursions into sporting estates like Hughie's. I'll bet he won't be so reticent to talk to the cameras then.:eek:hwell:
I don't miss the netsmen, but I certainly do miss their control of seal numbers in our rivers.
Kevin was good though.

Anyone seen the clip on u tube from Ian B fishing the fishponds this year? He catches a trout and is robbed by a seal. The fishponds is a good bit up from Perth ! Miles from the sea at Dundee.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Kevin was good though.

Sea Shepherd are extreme end of spectrum people who have a cause, they are not 'reasonable' at all in their demands

Anybody representing fishing interests in any way who hops into bed with with them even for the utmost of expediency needs their f£cking head tested. It is fundamentally brainless and short sighted:)

On balance I'd rather have the Pullars and predator control than another extremist victory and further increases in seal populations in critical areas.

Last edited:

ravenscraig

Reaction score
Nets been Stopped for around NE Scotland for 3 years or so now and Salmon numbers still going down on our rivers. ????
Who do we blame now ??