odd waders

riverwhy

Reaction score
my son recently bought a ew pair of snowbee waders. After wading down the pool in them he found it very difficut to climb back up the bank, and on inspection found that the waders were double skinned from somewhere around the knee down, but that this "cavity" was not sealed at the bottom and filled with a considerable amount of water, making it very difficuly to walk until the water was emptied (a bit like the Billy Connoly incontinent trousers sketch). I can only guess that this, if intentional, is an attempt to give you more stability when wading (though i can't see that this would actually work), but my son found when he tried climbing ou of the river he could hardly lift his legs, or walk til he emptied that water out. Anyone else seen these waders and can explain the design?

Woodsy

Reaction score
my son recently bought a ew pair of snowbee waders. After wading down the pool in them he found it very difficut to climb back up the bank, and on inspection found that the waders were double skinned from somewhere around the knee down, but that this "cavity" was not sealed at the bottom and filled with a considerable amount of water, making it very difficuly to walk until the water was emptied (a bit like the Billy Connoly incontinent trousers sketch). I can only guess that this, if intentional, is an attempt to give you more stability when wading (though i can't see that this would actually work), but my son found when he tried climbing ou of the river he could hardly lift his legs, or walk til he emptied that water out. Anyone else seen these waders and can explain the design?
I have a pair of these and find it a little inconvenient, unsure why they have this feature. I'll be watching this thread

silversurfer

Reaction score
This is a flawed and dangerous design created by someone who obviously does not fish and wade. Orvis marketed a wader with this feature a few years ago and quickly withdrew them. My friend had a pair and when wading in a fast current in the river Tay got into difficulties trying to get out of the river and would have suffered serious consequences if he had not had assistance. The solution is to dry them out and seal the double area with aquasure so the water cannot enter. Or just return the waders for a refund.

riverwhy

Reaction score
This is a flawed and dangerous design created by someone who obviously does not fish and wade. Orvis marketed a wader with this feature a few years ago and quickly withdrew them. My friend had a pair and when wading in a fast current in the river Tay got into difficulties trying to get out of the river and would have suffered serious consequences if he had not had assistance. The solution is to dry them out and seal the double area with aquasure so the water cannot enter. Or just return the waders for a refund.

he'll be sending them back... personally i use Simms and wouldn't have anything else, but while we're talking waders, any recommendations for a reasonably priced wader that will still be waterproof after a week's use then being hung up for a year? i've had both snowbee & orvis fail in this respect in the past but the Simms go on and on...

JoeE

Reaction score
Wychwood had a pair like these for a while with a pocket that filled with water. My mate loved them but then he never did fall in the river

paddymc

Reaction score
Wychwood had a pair like these for a while with a pocket that filled with water. My mate loved them but then he never did fall in the river
I had a pair of these 12 years ago.

They were excellent, until I broke my ankle on the riverbank. The paramedic, armed with a giant pair of scissors, made some job of them whilst cutting them off that foot o_O

Gralaks

Reaction score
I have a pair of these Snowbee prestige. I too found it tough to get out of the river after wading. I just sealed the offending area up with sealant. Job done. Got to admit it a crap design.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
he'll be sending them back... personally i use Simms and wouldn't have anything else, but while we're talking waders, any recommendations for a reasonably priced wader that will still be waterproof after a week's use then being hung up for a year? i've had both snowbee & orvis fail in this respect in the past but the Simms go on and on...
Cheap airflos go over seams yourself with aquasure before use and will be waterproof for years and years mate. Tried and tested im back in them 4 seasons later after my bought this season vision icons started leaking.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Ive got them and i just pull the little flap thing at the bottom when getting out and dumpimg all the water out. The extra layer works really well when jungle fishing through the rough stuff

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

riverwhy

Reaction score
yeah, but you can't empty the water til you're out, and getting out is the problem in some places - seems to me you need the extra layer cos when you're on the bank you're always on your knees ;-)