Observations from Lincolnshire

mcminnow

Reaction score
I've had a few people asking about minnow but I retired from them three years ago. I can recommend chrishconnolly (forum member) who has minnows for sale. He is an authourised salesperson on the forum and will be able to help.

mcminnow

Reaction score
Much cooler today at only 20C but very windy up to 50 mph so not going out (don't fancy an airborne scooter). Going into the workshop to make some more minnow mounts after lunch. We finished all the garden jobs yesterday so just watering to do. No sign this morning of any rain last night............no puddles or damp spots. Still fit and well. We got a photo yesterday of young George swimming in his local river (Test in Hampshire) so enjoying the hot weather.

mcminnow

Reaction score
Spent an hour and a half in the workshop and have made up another forty mounts. Very windy and noisy but it seems to be easing off a bit now. I see it's going to be very windy tomorrow as well so won't be going out and try on Sunday. Scampi tonight, Chinese on Saturday and fish on Sunday

mcminnow

Reaction score
Strong winds forecast again today up to 48 mph so won't be going out and will go into the workshop where it's calm. Warm again last night and slept on top of the bed. Still fit and well!

mcminnow

Reaction score
Hi gaula,

We have some dark and grey clouds but no sign of any rain yet. Nice to have a couple of cooler days. Stay well.

mcminnow

Reaction score
Well I never............we had a very short, sharp shower at 2.30pm. Spent an hour in the workshop and am almost up to date. It's going to be a calmer day tomorrow so may have a trip out if it's not too busy.

mcminnow

Reaction score
Still breezy but not as bad as in recent days. Decided to go out for a short ride and sat in the park for twenty minutes as it was very quiet. Another short, sharp shower at 7.00 pm yesterday but it dried up in a matter of minutes. Bank Holiday on Monday but probably won't go out and may go in the workshop for an hour. I've been sent another large puzzle to do so will spend some time on that. I scored 119/120 for the one I received in March but this new one is more difficult.

mcminnow

Reaction score
Much warmer today at 23C and the wind has dropped to a breeze so have been out for half an hour. A queue for the Coop so kept well clear and sat out in the park. Quite a few people cycling, making the most of the fine weather.

mcminnow

Reaction score
Once again much warmer today than first expected and it's reached 24C. Decided not to go out as more and more people seem to be abandoning the lock down and went into my workshop to finish off a couple of jobs. It's stayed warm at night and so I'm still sleeping on top of the bed.
The number of starlings in the garden has increased this past ten days to sometimes 20 - 30, outnumbering and outeating the blackbirds. We've not seen our robin or goldfinches for several days.
The Red Arrows flew past the village this morning but we haven't seen as many of the Cranwell trainers and we certainly don't see as many commercial flights as we used to. Still fit and well and have been in the garden to do some tidying up and deadheading. Many of the flowers and shrubs are fading fast because of the lack of rain and the heat.

Elibank

Reaction score
We had a vast invasion of starlings on Friday, and now they’ve just disappeared into thin air - now we’ve got a lot of young sparrows on the newly mown lawn.
Good to hear you’re well, Mac, stay safe mate

mcminnow

Reaction score
We had a vast invasion of starlings on Friday, and now they’ve just disappeared into thin air - now we’ve got a lot of young sparrows on the newly mown lawn.
Good to hear you’re well, Mac, stay safe mate
Your starlings are in Lincolnshire...................saw massive flocks arriving late afternoon, including lots of starling chicks!!

offshore

Reaction score
Me too. About 8 starlings arrived on lawn yesterday - hadn't seen many all summer. Same number this morning, but then maybe forty by mid afternoon. Lots of about full size chicks, but a much lighter (almost beige) colour.

I realised starlings flocked together in the winter, but had no idea they moved across the country in groups during the summer.

mcminnow

Reaction score
Me too. About 8 starlings arrived on lawn yesterday - hadn't seen many all summer. Same number this morning, but then maybe forty by mid afternoon. Lots of about full size chicks, but a much lighter (almost beige) colour.

I realised starlings flocked together in the winter, but had no idea they moved across the country in groups during the summer.

mcminnow

Reaction score
Mrs Mac has tidied up my hair using my beard trimmer and I look better! It looks like being warmer than forecast again today and it's already at 22C. Don't think I'll bother going out.

mcminnow

Reaction score
It is hot and has reached 23C so have not been out and spent my time doing crossword puzzles and watching TV. Pleased to hear things are improving. I suppose it will take time.

mcminnow

Reaction score
Another nice day, not too hot and the wind has dropped so have been out for a ride round the village. Still fit and well and I hope everyone is keeping well. No mice in the garage for a month now, they must be making the most of the warm weather and have no need for shelter at night.
It's quite warm in the conservatory but I'm keeping up with my peddling as I want to stay fit.

mcminnow

Reaction score
A baby starling flew into a window today and knocked itself out. Mrs Mac recovered it and put in a shady spot in the garden........she went back to check on it after half an hour and fortunately it had gone. It must have a headache. As well as the concussed starling we've had a few others that have flown into a window over the past few weeks but all have recovered and flown away. We had two collared doves in the garden this afternoon but they didn't stay long.............looked like love was in the air!!

mcminnow

Reaction score
A really nice day, not too hot and just a slight breeze so have been out twice today at 10.00am and 12.30 pm. Met up with a couple of dog walkers I know and watched the Red Arrows flying over Scampton. All nine were up and in formation. Still no mice in the garage but more and more starlings in the garden!

mcminnow

Reaction score
Mrs Mac went out to feed the birds first thing and found a big fluffy black cat in our garden.............ooerr!! This only the second time in eight years we've seen a cat in the garden.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Mrs Mac went out to feed the birds first thing and found a big fluffy black cat in our garden.............ooerr!! This only the second time in eight years we've seen a cat in the garden.
We used to get cats in the garden 20 years back. My daughters water cannon was the first line of defence.
Then we got a dog...…..