Nova Scotia

djm1971

Reaction score
Anyone done any Salmon /Trout fishing in Nova Scotia. I'm looking into moving there from Scotland, and was wondering what the fishing is like. ??????

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

miramichi

Reaction score
Anyone done any Salmon /Trout fishing in Nova Scotia. I'm looking into moving there from Scotland, and was wondering what the fishing is like. ??????

As far as salmon go the entire province of NS was originally ringed with salmon rivers, but for reasons that no one understands for certain they are severely depleted in the Bay of Fundy and South Coast Rivers. The Margaree River is the crown jewel of NS salmon fishing, and it is still a very good fishery with big fish. There are a few other smaller rivers that still produce along the north shore of the Province. It will be quite a change for a Scot as there is NO private water in NS. You buy a license and fish where you want. There are some drawbacks, but it also has its pluses.

The native trout in Atlantic Canada are really a small char called brook trout. There are many streams and lakes that hold these fish, though they are mostly small - 6 to 14 inches in size. There are also localized populations of sea run brookies.

Most people who love salmon fishing in Nova Scotia drive north to fish the Miramichi and other New Brunswick and Quebec Rivers. Depending on where you will be in NS you are looking at a 2 to 6 hour drive to get up north.

djm1971

Reaction score
As far as salmon go the entire province of NS was originally ringed with salmon rivers, but for reasons that no one understands for certain they are severely depleted in the Bay of Fundy and South Coast Rivers. The Margaree River is the crown jewel of NS salmon fishing, and it is still a very good fishery with big fish. There are a few other smaller rivers that still produce along the north shore of the Province. It will be quite a change for a Scot as there is NO private water in NS. You buy a license and fish where you want. There are some drawbacks, but it also has its pluses.

The native trout in Atlantic Canada are really a small char called brook trout. There are many streams and lakes that hold these fish, though they are mostly small - 6 to 14 inches in size. There are also localized populations of sea run brookies.

Most people who love salmon fishing in Nova Scotia drive north to fish the Miramichi and other New Brunswick and Quebec Rivers. Depending on where you will be in NS you are looking at a 2 to 6 hour drive to get up north.

Great info. Looking at Halifax area. But a couple or more hours drive wouldn't be a problem. Trout of 6-14 inches aren't that much different to our wild Brownies which are great fun to catch. Thanks for the info.?

ailsa's elver

Reaction score
I used to fish the North River on Cape Breton Island (north NS) in my teens. Lovely river, you could see the Salmon lined up in the pools and watch in electric tension as they rose to look at or take a bomber. Not sure how if fishes now, but it is in deep country and away from fish farms, so may still be good.

miramichi

Reaction score
I used to fish the North River on Cape Breton Island (north NS) in my teens. Lovely river, you could see the Salmon lined up in the pools and watch in electric tension as they rose to look at or take a bomber. Not sure how if fishes now, but it is in deep country and away from fish farms, so may still be good.

I've never fished this river, but I googled up some information that said the North River met its spawning potential in 2011. That is good! I also saw this nice video.