Not another bleeding jacket thread!

P!scator

Reaction score
Does the thistle have big internal pocket that goes right around the back, was looking at this last year but got my old jacket repaired, but they look good for when i replace.
No, the pockets inside don't go around the back of the jacket, can't recall the set up, I'd need to have a look when I'm home again. I mostly use my waistcoat

scoops

Reaction score
No, the pockets inside don't go around the back of the jacket, can't recall the set up, I'd need to have a look when I'm home again. I mostly use my waistcoat
Thanks for reply, when i come to looking again i will get in touch with Nomad

nitro2012

Reaction score
I haven't tried the Vision Tool jacket - it was on my to-do list until Covid intervened - but the Vector is a first class, bullet and waterproof, budget no-frills jacket. However, if you do fancy a Tool you may need to move quickly as the wholesaler is listing it as discontinued and isn't due to receive any further stock. That's a pity as I'd been eyeing one as the replacement for my Patagonia.

At the time that my old Snowbee expired I rather fancied a Nomad, which has a wonderful specification and great reputation, but was put off by some poor customer service. You will find all three chapters of the Great Jacket Hunt recounted here:

Chapter 1- defining the specification, the easy bit
Chapter 2 - the challenges of finding the solution
Chapter 3 - how I wound up with a Patagonia SST
I bought a brand new vision tool from guide fly fishing this year my first day out in moderate rain it leaked like a wet tea bag so the jacket was sent back to be examined turns out it was a manufacturing defect with the stitching.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I have used:

1. 1995-2012 - Barbour ‘Spey’ jacket (Borrowed then gifted for free). Totally lacking in features & sophistication beyond 2 pockets. However, reproofed & well treated, it stayed waterproof through 20+ years of use.

2. 2013 - Nomad ‘lightweight’ or ‘Sea Trout’ jacket. Lightweight Jacket with loads of useful pockets, bought at a bargain price from The Gamefair @ £180, (although the temp sales attendant tried to charge me what I think was the full price of £240). The jacket functioned perfectly from the day I got it - when the heavens opened on the Gamefair. The coat continued to function well for the next couple of seasons until it stopped being waterproof. After a Nickwax or Graingers treatment, the outer layer sheds moisture but in a steady rain, the water still seeps through at the shoulders - I think where my vest used to rub, and on the sleeves. After a solidwetting the jacket became as pourous as the average tea bag until reproofed again - so I bought the Snowbee. This year I dug it out to use during the summer. I reproofed it and it worked well until decent rain in August, then it got a bit damp and next day it leaked like a sieve. The rubber cuffs were decent but have now decomposed and stick to themselves, or my wrists, leaving a black tide mark.

4. Snowbee Prestige 2016 - £149 in a sale. Bought after reading MCX’s review when the Nomad had just started to leak. This is a solid jacket with reasonable features. I reproofed it for the first time at the start of this season because it was getting a wee bit damp on the shoulders where my vest rubs. Some of the stitching on the Velcro has come loose and there’s a few loose threads now. However, it’s a good solid jacket for the money and fitted my budget.

I have scouted out the Visions & the Orvis options (shop nearby, no quibble returns), increasingly it looks like I am going to swallow my doubts and am leaning towards the Simms G3. I haven’t met anyone who has a bad word to say about it (except the price), they seem to last a LONG time and pretty much every online review is good. I’ve already put the kidneys on Gumtree and the children are nervously scanning my ebay account.

Tangled

Reaction score
If you're medium size Sportsfish are selling them for £369 reduced from £539

GeeBee

Reaction score
North Face.

i think i have posted this before, but NF and Simms or Patagonia shells are absolutely identically constructed.

gore tex, dryvent seams etc.

if you have a skiing shell, you have a wading jacket.

North Face are often on sale too.

Rennie

Reaction score
Fredzefisher, if you've got a good pair of trainers, are a bit nippy on your feet, then your best bet is Norris's and hope they've got your size in a Simm's G3 on the rack, try it on and leg it!.
Seriously, much as your finding out its a proper task sorting out a jacket to fish in, as much as you could cop a bad un out there with the best will in the world, sure as 12 eggs make a bloody big omelette Simm's will pay you back over seasons of hard use.Two or three years in, when your going through all this again ( because you will! ) because you were worried about short term cost's, the long term viability of a Simm's Goretex jacket will become very much apparent!.
Stay dry, Pedro.

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Serious Fishing have G3’s on clearance at the moment with 35% off. GAC have more sizes available with 25% off.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Serious Fishing have G3’s on clearance at the moment with 35% off. GAC have more sizes available with 25% off.

The GAC ones cropped up whilst I was looking at other things, FYI its only available for back order and has been saying "Will ship in approx. 12 days" for at least the last few weeks if not longer. Been waiting on a C&F gravity bobbin kit coming in for at least a month... Started off with approx. 17 days, almost think its meant to read weeks not days...

rubberwellie

Reaction score
The GAC ones cropped up whilst I was looking at other things, FYI its only available for back order and has been saying "Will ship in approx. 12 days" for at least the last few weeks if not longer. Been waiting on a C&F gravity bobbin kit coming in for at least a month... Started off with approx. 17 days, almost think its meant to read weeks not days...
I wasn’t aware of that as I bought in store. I will be returning a size medium to GAC when the postman delivers the one I later bought from serious fishing for £50 less.

DonnieH

Reaction score
Was after a Lainio myself but can't seem to get hold of one,

Anyone got a Loop Dellik which they can share an opinion on?

Thanks

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Scierra is our first choice of jacket, and I’ve had a load of all different makes over the years. Now it’s all about waterproofing and being light weight,I only recently in the last few years carried minimalist stuff in the 2 bottom pockets, fly’s in one,in the other it’s a reel of tippet,spare polyleader and vape pen,that’s it,on the outside on the right breast is a zinger with a pair of forceps and snips,phone on the inside pocket. The jacket goes over the wader tops so no wet feet in lashing rain. One of us takes turns a week about at taking the landing net,me then him. We used to come off the water soaked to the skin in sweat carrying all this gear we never ever used, like( spare reel,extra tippet,plyers,knife,etc) we see so many guy’s on the river with coat pockets bulging,stuff hanging out( no wonder you always find gear up the river eh ! ) plus they’ve got a bag slung over there shoulder,then a landing net on top of that. It’s like the old western movies of the wagon heading across the desert,quarter’s way across the piano gets lumped out,half way across out goes the wardrobe and the chest of drawers,three quarters across the man and woman have ditched the wagon and there riding the horse bareback getting out of the desert with only a canteen. Too much stuff .The Scierra jackets are super light and solid waterproof,we noticed a couple of fellas that joined the club that took all the gear in the pockets,now theyv got just the scierra coats,minus all thon gear,wonder where they got that idea from😊,but you can’t beat that jacket or the coat that’ll last donkeys years,this is only my preference as I know there are cracking jackets all over,but as soon as you see one you like and a name that’s quality,just take it off the peg and feel it’s true weight completely empty,get that sorted first and your onto a winner. Tight lines lads,………jimmy.

Fredzefisher

Reaction score
I've gone over to good old gore Tex walking jackets Berghaus etc for under £100 lasts for years
Not a bad idea! Just had a look and Berghaus used to do a jacket which would have suited called the Mera 5 - it had a perfect pocket configuration ..but of course is now discontinued!

Having started this thread looking for a replacement jacket I have taken a good hard look at my Simms jackets- 1 from 1999 and one from 2004. They both look ok but I retired the 1999 one for a reason .. I just cant remember why now and it has hung unloved for a very long time. I have just washed them both in nikwax techwash and then processed with the wash in DWR. Most of the seams in the hoods on both jackets have become unstuck and the older jacket has delaminated on the hood as well.

I will wait until they are dry and then have a go with some thinned aquasure over the exposed seams and delaminated areas and then stand outside in the rain for a few hours to see if any of it works. Just wish it wasn't winter!

Last edited:

kimbo

Reaction score
Not a bad idea! Just had a look and Berghaus used to do a jacket which would have suited called the Mera 5 - it had a perfect pocket configuration ..but of course is now discontinued!

Having started this thread looking for a replacement jacket I have taken a good hard look at my Simms jackets- 1 from 1999 and one from 2004. They both look ok but I retired the 1999 one for a reason .. I just cant remember why now and it has hung unloved for a very long time. I have just washed them both in nikwax techwash and then processed with the wash in DWR. Most of the seams in the hoods on both jackets have become unstuck and the older jacket has delaminated on the hood as well.

I will wait until they are dry and then have a go with some thinned aquasure over the exposed seams and delaminated areas and then stand outside in the rain for a few hours to see if any of it works. Just wish it wasn't winter!
If you check out m and m and sports pursuit they all do heavily discounted and discontinued jackets of all reputable outdoor makes

ozzyian

Reaction score
Try Lancashire Sports Repairs for re-seaming.

If you just want to keep dry, buy a 2-3 layer Goretex. If you want pockets for boxes & D-rings etc, it’s a wading jacket.

Musto LPX is tempting me.

A Hebridean ghillie once told me that the only reliable way was a shepherds jacket - they are non breathable vinyl, all the others leak sooner or later. All well and good except it might seem out of place when a fishing uniform is required attire :)

If you carry a net via strap (or bungees like the fastnet) or a shoulder bag that always seems to be the place where water seeps through. I think its like when you sit on a boat seat in the rain and the water works through your waders - it's to do with excess hydrostatic head -ie the pressure on the surface of the fabric.