Norway Mark 1 -vs- Mark 2

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Guys,
Whats the difference between the Mark 1 and the Mark 2 B&W Norway?
My initial thoughts were that the Mark 2's were four piece but I see Mark 2, 3 piece versions on B&W's website.
Thanks
H

Rennie

Reaction score
Do you mean the very 1st Original Mk1 Norway Hibernicus, in the "Expert" style finish of Magenta whippings and unground finish?.The 15ft rod was 10/12 and 3 piece, a completely different rod to the Norways of today.
B+W have always been known for variations on a theme within a rod range and as such the more modern matt finish ground blank Norways have been available in 4x4 versions as well as 3 piece and often with differing line ratings as well.
I had one of the very 1st Norways, then what you could term the 2nd generation newer ground blank matt finish Norways in 13ft 7/9 and 16ft 11/12.Unsure how they compare to the more modern up to date Norways currently available today though as not tried the newer ranges afraid.
Pedro.

rs2ford

Reaction score
I had a 3 piece MK1 14ft Norway then got the 4 piece MK2 a year or 2 later. Apart from the obvious sections difference the MK2 definitely bends more in the lower sections which I prefer.
Both great rods though.
Cheers Diarmid.

Hibernicus

Reaction score
I had a 3 piece MK1 14ft Norway then got the 4 piece MK2 a year or 2 later. Apart from the obvious sections difference the MK2 definitely bends more in the lower sections which I prefer.
Both great rods though.
Cheers Diarmid.
Thanks for that.
Were there other differances such as better carbon perhaps, or a better reel seat or rings?
H

rs2ford

Reaction score
Thanks for that.
Were there other differances such as better carbon perhaps, or a better reel seat or rings?
H
I got my MK2 custom built with upgrades such as silver Fuji strippers and guides, pewter reel seat with carbon insert. The blank was still the polished carbon finish and the whippings were kept as black. The rod was perfect with a 38g Rio Scandi and I liked the Gaelforce 10/11 54ft Spey line. As with most B&W rods it was a bit heavier than most modern rods but had a bulletproof feel about it.
Eventually sold it for a lighter modern rod but should really have kept it.

Rennie

Reaction score
Certainly, they were different blanks and highly likely different carbon in the original Mk 1's, in fact really probably only the name would have been the same.Fittings were different too, Snakes and Fuji Tip and Butt.The reel fittings were Fuji, or the B+W signature fixed/sliding ring so popular for a long time on B+W rods.
I don't know for certain, from the Mk2 new Norway we all recognise nowadays I'd imagine as the rod was developed over time there might well have been subtle changes to carbon type/content and certainly blank changes in the form of taper etc as well as basic section numbers.
You could ask B+W them selves if you've certain rods in mind.They're usually very accommodating and very customer focussed.
Pedro.

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Gentlemen both,
Thank you for answering my questions.
The Norway is now on my shortlist!
H

bluejay

Reaction score
I have a Norway MK1 purchased from a gentleman on this forum several years ago. Is a 16' 4 pc model and I fished it alot at the time and bring it out now for fishing heavy sinktips and big flies. I have no experience with the MK2, but understand the MK1 has a stiffer tip which makes it great for unplugging heavy loads.

Rennie

Reaction score
In actual fact bluejay the rod you have is actually a Mk 2 Norway. The Original Norways were 14ft 9/11 and 15ft 10/12 and in all honesty nowt like the newer ranges owned and loved today.

Pest

If I've done this right, above should be a little pic of the Mk1 "Original" Norway, in this case the 15ft 10/12 model.
They came with unground blanks and Magenta whippings and a gloss varnish. Reel fittings would have been Fuji or the popular B+W fixed/sliding ring, so popular at the time.
Sorry I can't get a better pic, but me lump hammer's not fully compatible with Apple Macs or their operating system.
Pedro.

https://www.avsforum.com/

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/

https://www.dealsforum.com/

bluejay

Reaction score
Rennie,
You definitely have the early model Norway there, but those rods considered MK1 apparently came after that. Several years ago B&W replied to my inquiry regarding this very question on my rod and stated that unless it says MK2 it is an MK1. So these original Norways perhaps never had a designation.
Would be great fun to cast one of those originals.
Cheers.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I think there’s at least 3 types:

Norway Salmon = Dark Green with red whipping, 2 models produced at 14 and 15ft #10-12 produced up to mid 80s

Norway Speycaster = Matt grey, black whippings & Fuji seat produced from early 2000s I think. The 13ft 3 piece #7-9 is a nice rod, I have use of one.

Norway Speycaster Mk 2 = Matt grey, black whippings, new blank produced from about 2014(?).

Hibernicus

Reaction score
I think there’s at least 3 types:

Norway Salmon = Dark Green with red whipping, 2 models produced at 14 and 15ft #10-12 produced up to mid 80s

Norway Speycaster = Matt grey, black whippings & Fuji seat produced from early 2000s I think. The 13ft 3 piece #7-9 is a nice rod, I have use of one.

Norway Speycaster Mk 2 = Matt grey, black whippings, new blank produced from about 2014(?).
Thanks for that very specific information.
H

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Thanks for that very specific information.
H

Ha! I’m a font of useless information. The ones on sale now are the Mk 2. Fawcetts used to have demo rods to try before you buy and will do you a good price on a new off the shelf rod. B&W will do the custom stuff. There have been a few nicely finished Norway Speycasters on here over the last few years.