Norway fishing advice

Connorh

Reaction score
Hi ladies and gents, looking for some advice on fishing in norway. Myself and 2 others are looking to go next summer for one week, were looking to fish a number of rivers in this week and dont want to be tied down to just the one place, has anyone got any info or done this before? Also what is the best rivers to fish and when? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

dustybinns

Reaction score
Mandal R.

Hi ladies and gents, looking for some advice on fishing in norway. Myself and 2 others are looking to go next summer for one week, were looking to fish a number of rivers in this week and dont want to be tied down to just the one place, has anyone got any info or done this before? Also what is the best rivers to fish and when? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
The Mandal is worthy of a mention,wonderful wee river.

lax0341

Reaction score
Do you like to travel to the south , the middle or the north of Norway ? It‘s a very large and especially long country.

Connorh

Reaction score
To be honest we dont know because none of us have ever been and dont know anyone that has, we are not millionaires and would like to spend roughly around £1500 for a week each

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Have a look at 'You want to go to Norway?' for some basic ideas.

As has been pointed out, it's an enormous country, spanning the latitudes from Newcastle to the Arctic, with a host of rivers. You can do things expensively and buy a package from a blue chip company (£5,000+ for a week), or do it on the cheap, camping beside the river (ca £1,250 pw).

Seek the advice of Norwegian members of the Forum and those who fish there, but please remember your manners: you won't get the crown jewels on an information ram-raid. They and others have been burned too often by people who crop up, make 2 posts, take lots of information, and then depart, never to be heard of again, without so much as even a basic thank you.

Connorh

Reaction score
I appreciate the pointers and this is my second season salmon fishing so i will be on this forum alot more now that i have joined, there is so much great tips and help and the members are so helpful and friendly, thanks for helping me out

Barentssalmon

Reaction score
1. Pick a region of Norway, like Southern Norway (e.g. between Kristiansand and Stavanger), or Trondheim region (50-70 kn radius around Trondheim).
2. Pick a time suitable for the region (e.g. midt/late August or early June for south, late June/early July for Trondheim)
3. for a week's fishing, I would focus on two, max three rivers. Any higher number will only cause stress.
4. Pick one river that is regulated which might ensure some water in a dry season and one unregulated.
5. Find beats or ticket water on the selected rivers

lax0341

Reaction score
If you could travel in the end of July and August I‘d have a look to the south of Norway on the rivers Mandal, Otra , Lygna , Tovdalselva and Audna. If you like to travel in the end of August or September I‘d sort out the rivers Mandal, Tovdalselva and Numedals Lagen.
If you like to travel in the end of June or July I‘d try the Trondheim region and the rivers Gaula, Stjordal and Orkla.
The northern part of Norway is another question.

To be honest we dont know because none of us have ever been and dont know anyone that has, we are not millionaires and would like to spend roughly around £1500 for a week each

Last edited:

Connorh

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! I will reseach these rivers and locations, have any of you fished these rivers and where would be the best accommodation? Eg log cabin, camping, b&b?

Barentssalmon

Reaction score
I would avoid Mandal late July, still the typical dry season. Accommodation, just soooo many options. Go to the river pages and check out their suggestions/recommendations, or check airbnb

lax0341

Reaction score
There are a lot of very comfortable an reasonably priced holiday cottages around. But you have to book them in January or February. Also some really nice camping sites. Food and drinks are terribly expensive.

pol_angler

Reaction score
Stats

Catch report site for many Norwegian rivers. I chose my destination by looking for good number of fish reported in the same week over the years and caught on fly. Combination of these two gave me impression of a nice flowing river with good head of fish in a certain period of time.

Last edited:

Connorh

Reaction score
Thanks for the stat! We are looking to camp in støren and travelling to places like the gaula/ orkla etc, only problem is we are looking to try catch a few fish instead of like one or 2 at 25lbs, is the gaula and orkla full of fish as well as big sizes?

lax0341

Reaction score
That depends very much of the time of the year. Usually in the middle to end of July the rivers will hold a good head of fish.
to catch them is another question. It depends very much on the weather and the waterflow. But this time you have a chance to get a permit. End of June and the first 2 weeks of July are mostly fully booked and very expensive.

Ian Carter

Reaction score
Iv been trying to get to a small river in the west near Bergen for years now. Its just a few miles long and connects a lake to the sea. Its a 5 minute train ride from Bergen (2nd largest city) which has a major airport so its easy travel. Storelva river in Arna. Its a small natural river thats more about stalking salmon than just swinging a fly down through a big pool. It only catches a few hundred Salmon each year but thats fairly impressive considering its length. Like most Norwegian rivers the fish get bigger towards the end of summer.

A day ticket is around €25 :)
Flights could be around £350
AirBNB appartments in Bergen are around £50 per night
So around £850 for 7 days in total.

Norway is a very expensive place to exist however so your daily spendings will be high. 7-Eleven hotdogs are cheap though!

Salmon fishing in Storelva, Norway - YouTube
Arna Storelv October 2014 part 3 - YouTube

Last edited:

Connorh

Reaction score
That looks amazing! I would love to fish that for a day! Never fished water like that before!

LouisCha

Reaction score
Iv been trying to get to a small river in the west near Bergen for years now. Its just a few miles long and connects a lake to the sea. Its a 5 minute train ride from Bergen (2nd largest city) which has a major airport so its easy travel. Storelva river in Arna. Its a small natural river thats more about stalking salmon than just swinging a fly down through a big pool. It only catches a few hundred Salmon each year but thats fairly impressive considering its length. Like most Norwegian rivers the fish get bigger towards the end of summer.

A day ticket is around €25 :)
Flights could be around £350
AirBNB appartments in Bergen are around £50 per night
So around £850 for 7 days in total.

Norway is a very expensive place to exist however so your daily spendings will be high. 7-Eleven hotdogs are cheap though!

Salmon fishing in Storelva, Norway - YouTube
Arna Storelv October 2014 part 3 - YouTube

I've fished Storelva i Arna, have you been there or want to go?

It's a cool little river, as you said stalking salmon.

It's a tiny spate river with a decent run of fish, most locals seem to worm or spin. Those videos are from high water. It's very short, you can fish the whole river in a day, so 7 days fishing might pretty repetitive! The advantage is you don't need a car though, which keeps the costs down

Ian Carter

Reaction score
I almost fished it years back, I planned and booked a trip in June as the tickets went on sale then. However, they were pre selling for July when it’s actually open so I made a mess of the trip. Just went to the vosso area instead. It’s on my bucket list for sure. I love that kind of river but it’s hard to get the right conditions. I know it was closed last year with the drought.

I've fished Storelva i Arna, have you been there or want to go?

It's a cool little river, as you said stalking salmon.

It's a tiny spate river with a decent run of fish, most locals seem to worm or spin. Those videos are from high water. It's very short, you can fish the whole river in a day, so 7 days fishing might pretty repetitive! The advantage is you don't need a car though, which keeps the costs down