Northern England and Southern Scotland - rod advice

William

Reaction score
Good afternoon All,

I wonder if someone could help me. I am looking at fishing the Tyne, Ure and Border Esk. I haven't fished for a few years and wanting to get back into it.

I currently have a 15ft Hardy Marksman and Demon reel but I wonder if this is overkill and I should get something 11 - 13ft? I quite like the switch idea, but I wonder if it is a bit of a gimmick..does anyone use it single handed or is most of the time used as a short double handed rod?

Kind regards

W

MCXFisher

Reaction score
A 15 footer is definitely overkill for the Ure, where a 13 footer covers the requirements on most beats. There are a few beats where a switch could be useful in low water - Swinton and upper Bolton Hall - but I rarely use mine in Yorkshire

There are some big sections on the main stem of the Tyne where you will certainly be glad of a 15 footer. Once it splits you can get by with a 13 or 14 unless the water is well up.

A 13 footer or a 13’ 6” is in my view an essential part of the salmon angler’s armoury, as when well set up with a Scandi head you can cover loads of water and still work effectively in confined spaces. It’s also delightfully light: you can fish all day without effort. Currently I don’t own anything bigger than 13’ 8”, and do 90% of my fishing with a 13 or 13’ 6”.

T7

Reaction score
Keep your 15 footer for the Tyne or big water on the other rivers. I use 13.5 on the Esk but a 13 or 14 would be fine. Depends what lines you are using as well of course as well as how far up river you are fishing. Another consideration is whether you’ll be deep wading. If you are up to your waist or deeper the lift of the line from the water is reduced compared to if you are only up to your ankles so the rod choice/head length should be adjusted accordingly. I prefer longer rods in general unless there are a lot of trees to get tangled up in!

William

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. I'll look for a 13ft something or other in the classifieds and ebay.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
If at all possible, try before you buy to avoid disappointment.

The action that best suits you will be determined by a range of factors, including your casting technique and experience, physical build and of course the type of line matched to the rivers you fish. For less experienced casters a fuller action rod - like the Marksman 2T - is a much better bet than something stiffer and more tip-oriented (like the 2S). It's more forgiving of limitations of technique and associated errors, while providing a better learning environment through greater 'feel'.

William

Reaction score
I'll try to do that. I had a look at my 15ft and its a Hardy Swift Mk 2, so if I could find same in 13ft then that would be great. Not sure what sort of action it is.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Beware: do not expect a consistent feel and action throughout a range of rods. Just because a 15 is nice doesn't guarantee that you'll like the 13.

William

Reaction score
Beware: do not expect a consistent feel and action throughout a range of rods. Just because a 15 is nice doesn't guarantee that you'll like the 13.
Ah, I did. Thank you for clearing that up.

I will have to find some people with 13 footers and have a play. Not in a rush and I may make do with the 15 footer until I find the right rod.

tynedale

Reaction score

I will have to find some people with 13 footers and have a play. Not in a rush and I may make do with the 15 footer until I find the right rod.
I can endorse MCX's advice, since trying a 13.2 Vision Cult some time ago and liking the softer more traditional action, I have managed to migrate completely over to the cult range and have the set full of 13 footers and a 12.6 6 weight (ideal for sea trout) they all are almost identical in action. They can still be found occasionally, usually at a discounted rate, on Finnish fishing retail shop web sites ( where I got all mine)
As regards the Tyne, I live on the main river, a 13 to 14 ft is all you will need, perhaps a middle ground 8 weight as this will still handle high water and yet will be ok for low water fishing for sea trout, which can run large on the Tyne

Rrrr

Reaction score
All i use on the tyne is my 13 footer. Used to use a 15 years ago but with modern lines and rods a 13 does the job that the 15 used to do but alot lighter and easier to use all day.
I use a guideline lpxe 13ft and really like it but some people that try it arent keen on the fast action as it dosent suit their casting style.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

MCXFisher

Reaction score

If you're passing through the Vale of York I have a selection of 13 footers you can try.

Meanwhile, have a look at the reviews of the Vision Onki and Vision Tool on Just One Week. The Tool wouldn't be a good choice for a novice, but the through action of the Onki, while not as pronounced as the old Cult, is nonetheless very useful for developing casting technique.

William

Reaction score
If you're passing through the Vale of York I have a selection of 13 footers you can try.

Meanwhile, have a look at the reviews of the Vision Onki and Vision Tool on Just One Week. The Tool wouldn't be a good choice for a novice, but the through action of the Onki, while not as pronounced as the old Cult, is nonetheless very useful for developing casting technique.
I can be at a weekend, if you PM me a location, Im happy meet. No major rush so don't feel you have to put yourself out for me.

I'll look at the reviews too

Thank you

glenelg100

Reaction score
Good afternoon All,

I wonder if someone could help me. I am looking at fishing the Tyne, Ure and Border Esk. I haven't fished for a few years and wanting to get back into it.

I currently have a 15ft Hardy Marksman and Demon reel but I wonder if this is overkill and I should get something 11 - 13ft? I quite like the switch idea, but I wonder if it is a bit of a gimmick..does anyone use it single handed or is most of the time used as a short double handed rod?

Kind regards

W
Just don’t cast your marksman quite so far

Rennie

Reaction score
Just don’t cast your marksman quite so far
I like that answer, I really do!.
However on smaller rivers by n large you don't need to cast as far, you don't need to lift and control as much line, you can in all honesty exploit lighter rated lines for better presentation-hence more offers, you could well be restricted for casting space and playing a fish on big rods on small rivers can make actually landing fish a reet pain and frequently the performance of modern shorter rods falls not that far short of some longer rods any way, especially older generation ones!
Thats what I tell the wife ever time I need a new rod and it works!, so it must be true then.
Pedro.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Go inbetween... i use a 12ft guideline elevate with rio scandi short shooting head system (8wt) and never feel under-gunned paired with rio connect core 3% strech running line goes like an absolute laser 🚀🚀🚀

William

Reaction score
Ive gone down the route of a Loop S1 Cross 13ft 8wt, when they had sales on. Its a nice action and is very similar to my 15ft Swift.

With the Swift, I have Demon casset system, with various lines (It came as a package, the ghilly on the Lees got me it as a package). Its a nice set up but I am flummoxed with the setup I need for the Loop.

So, what reel?

As they seem to be all made from aluminium and I cant really see much difference in design beyond cosmetic, Im not sure

What line - the John Norris Shooting head line is supposed to me OK.

Thoughts?

KR

W

MCXFisher

Reaction score
It’s a great rod, congratulations on a good choice. It is, however, more of a#9 than an 8, so choose your line accordingly. You wouldn’t go wrong with a Rio Scandi 37 gram.
In terms of choosing a reel, first check what weight balances the rod. See Balancing Rod & Reel on J1W on how to do this.

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Ive gone down the route of a Loop S1 Cross 13ft 8wt, when they had sales on. Its a nice action and is very similar to my 15ft Swift.

With the Swift, I have Demon casset system, with various lines (It came as a package, the ghilly on the Lees got me it as a package). Its a nice set up but I am flummoxed with the setup I need for the Loop.

So, what reel?

As they seem to be all made from aluminium and I cant really see much difference in design beyond cosmetic, Im not sure

What line - the John Norris Shooting head line is supposed to me OK.

Thoughts?

KR

W
Id be inclined to see how the demon sits and feels on the new rod in terms of ballance. It may be slightly heavy as im guessing its a size bigger to suit the 15 footer. personaly i prefer a heavier reel so the ballance is more towards the bottom hand as it suits how i cast. You may prefer it balanced on the top hand but theres 1 way to find out.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

bankwheel

Reaction score
Your Demon will be fine on the Loop, if you need any more spools I have 18 of them so plenty spare

Willow3

Reaction score
I would recommend the John Norris integrated shooting heads, which cast well and are great value for money. If you want to spend more on a line then the Rio Scandi are excellent, but it depends on your budget.

For smaller rivers I prefer an integrated line rather than a shooting head plus running line, as you may have to work your fly in low water and pulling the connection between head and running line through your rings every time you cast is a problem to me. On a larger river, where you cast further you can work the fly by pulling in running line without ever getting back to the head before you finish the cast.

Jimmcl

Reaction score
I'd add to that to say because you like the 4 piece version, it doesn't mean you'll like the 3 piece. I have Guideline le-Cie's in 3 and 4 piece versions of the same rod, and they're like chalk & cheese. I also had 2 Mackenzie DTX's that in one case was un-castable unless loaded with a 13's line, and another that was a gem when loaded with the correct 10-11. I've also used NRX's, and my mate's identical rod is much softer than my own. I think every rod is different, and you have to try before you buy, but I'd also endorse what MCX says about the vision tool - Light as a feather, and -for me anyway - I just have to think "cast" and it does it.