North Esk 2021

mows

Reaction score
Northie looks in fine fettle for Saturday.
Still a decent height with snowmelt but crystal clear.
The drift wood from storm frank is still evident around edzell.
You might see lucy in one picture to get an idea of scale.
20210304_171816.jpg
20210305_125426.jpg
20210305_125453.jpg
20210305_125253.jpg

nickolas

Reaction score
That really is running clear Allan, some nice shots, all the best tomorrow, it’s catching fish thats important not what you chuck at them.👌 it’s amazing how small you can go on the river even if it’s carrying colour.

D

Deleted member 11237

I seem to recall a fly local to the North Esk, I probably saw it on a previous years thread. It was an orange and black shrimpy thing. Any ideas?

mows

Reaction score
I seem to recall a fly local to the North Esk, I probably saw it on a previous years thread. It was an orange and black shrimpy thing. Any ideas?
Sorry, i cant help on that one Byron.

scoops

Reaction score
Was on Edzell again today, freebie day from the estate after opening day being a wash out, which was very nice of them. water starting to get low for the beat, was Cristal clear could see every stone on the beat but no sign of a springer today

westie4566

Reaction score
Was on Edzell again today, freebie day from the estate after opening day being a wash out, which was very nice of them. water starting to get low for the beat, was Cristal clear could see every stone on the beat but no sign of a springer today
Bizarrely. since Storm Frank, our best spring days on Stracathro have been in low water. Used to want 1'6" on the Logie gauge but these days 9" seems to be the height that produces....go figure as they say!!

Back on the Northie on Wednesday.

scoops

Reaction score
Bizarrely. since Storm Frank, our best spring days on Stracathro have been in low water. Used to want 1'6" on the Logie gauge but these days 9" seems to be the height that produces....go figure as they say!!

Back on the Northie on Wednesday.
Think the height on Monday was about perfect for Edzell need a decent flow or goes a bit slack when water drops, would imagine Stracthro benefits from the Westwater coming in at top of beat, amazing what some of the big spates do to a river with the force of the water

na sure if il get a cast next week,
Tight lines on Wednesday 🎣

westie4566

Reaction score
Think the height on Monday was about perfect for Edzell need a decent flow or goes a bit slack when water drops, would imagine Stracthro benefits from the Westwater coming in at top of beat, amazing what some of the big spates do to a river with the force of the water

na sure if il get a cast next week,
Tight lines on Wednesday 🎣
Cheers Steve. I'm hoping that the forecast rain tomorrow will help. Failing that it 'll be dressed doubles that I'm chucking in very muted colours.

TBH, the best pools are well away from the influence of the Westie. Much working of the fly needed but it works.

The Northie as ever is a spate river. 😜

scoops

Reaction score
Cheers Steve. I'm hoping that the forecast rain tomorrow will help. Failing that it 'll be dressed doubles that I'm chucking in very muted colours.

TBH, the best pools are well away from the influence of the Westie. Much working of the fly needed but it works.

The Northie as ever is a spate river. 😜
Looks like there’s a wee sploush of water forecast over the next week👍