North Esk 2021

mows

Reaction score
Well 2020 was a strange one.
Some decent fish early on.
But then a bit quieter.
Fishing was put on hold till June for locals and 5th July for visitors.
The water was seriously low throughout the summer and as such catching fish was hard.
However fresh fish were turning up at the Loups over night right through the summer, and a good number were decent sized salmon.
Not sure what was up with the westie, but it seemed to me that the fish just werent running up it till Septrmber.
After the 2nd week in August, it went quiet with few fresh fush entering the river.
The water was big and coloured throughout November, so didnt get to see the fish spawning at Edzell. However first week in December. There was still a few big fish spawningand a lot of reds.
Hopefully bodes well.
20210123_083633.jpg
20210123_183915.jpg

Rumour has it that the counter isnt working so not sure if we will get a retrospective look at what was really happening.
We should be clear of all storm Frank damage now.
And there was plenty of grilse last year.
Had a walk down the river today. Water was a good height and crystal clear. With a good covering of snow on the hills.

Attachments

• 20210123_183853.jpg
    20210123_183853.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 111
  • 20210123_183826.jpg
    20210123_183826.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 115
  • 20210123_183803.jpg
    20210123_183803.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 114
  • 20210123_183706.jpg
    20210123_183706.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Maggy

Reaction score
Well 2021 was a strange one.
But then a bit quieter.
The water was seriously low throughout the summer and as such catching fish was hard.
However fresh fish were turning up at the Loups over night right through the summer, and a good number were decent sized salmon.
Not sure what was up with the westie, but it seemed to me that the fish just werent running up it till Septrmber.
After the 2nd week in August, it went quiet with few fresh fush entering the river.
The water was big and coloured throughout November, so didnt get to see the fish spawning at Edzell. However first week in December. There was still a few big fish spawningand a lot of reds.
Hopefully bodes well.View attachment 55830View attachment 55831
Rumour has it that the counter isnt working so not sure if we will get a retrospective look at what was really happening.
Had a walk down the river today. Water was a good height and crystal clear. With a good covering of snow on the hills.
Are you sitting on a time machine ? Nice photos, thanks.

Hemmy

Reaction score
It is a good post.....thank you for taking the time πŸ‘

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Braw report Alan cheers.
Yeh I've got high hopes for this season with the decent grilse numbers last year and storm Frank and the nets all just a bad memory now.
I cant wait to get out but I got a date for the surgery on my knee to remove my meniscus. Its February 26th so I better heal rapido.
I been continuing with my outstanding effort in hurting myself too.
I managed to tare the tendon in my right shoulder at the start of December at work.
I've rested up as much as I could afford to and only really started grafting this week but I'm going to need steroid injections to manage to fish this year :cry:
At least my fractured finger and knee are better.
Still getting grief from my arse bone I broke falling up Helmsdale last summer though.
47 and held together with spit and hope haha

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
Well 2020 was a strange one.
But then a bit quieter.
Hopefully bodes well.View attachment 55830View attachment 55831

Nice pics.

Cannae whack the ORS.

Is that the fish ladder they cut in one of the pics?

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Braw report Alan cheers.
Yeh I've got high hopes for this season with the decent grilse numbers last year and storm Frank and the nets all just a bad memory now.
I cant wait to get out but I got a date for the surgery on my knee to remove my meniscus. Its February 26th so I better heal rapido.
I managed to tare the tendon in my right shoulder at the start of December at work.
I've rested up as much as I could afford to and only really started grafting this week but I'm going to need steroid injections to manage to fish this year :cry:
Still getting grief from my arse bone I broke falling up Helmsdale last summer though.

Mind and put the lottery on this weekend πŸ˜‚

_20210127_212848.JPG

Maggy

Reaction score
Braw report Alan cheers.
I’m going nowhere near you.

mows

Reaction score
Had a walk down the Edzell beat today, to see if there were any early fish in.
I have seen them before at this time.
the water was low and Crystal clear.
ideal for fish spotting.
but didn't see anything.
not even a kelt or dead fish.
the gravel has been scoured out of a lot of the river this autum.
mainly being dumped in the cobbles.
the pools have changed again.
big gannochy is back to its usual size, with the gravel bar halfway down dissapearing.
the corner pool is scraped bare.
not sure how it will affect it.
upper cobbles has returned as a good looking pool and the cobbles has filled in a lot.
the long slow canal at the bottom has shallowed up a lot and might fish better.
The last picture with the toe of my welly shows you where the whole northie goes through a 3 foot wide channel.
2 weeks to opening day.
20210131_133131.jpg
20210131_133041.jpg
20210131_133020.jpg
20210131_132839.jpg
20210131_132716.jpg
20210131_132628.jpg
20210131_132532.jpg
20210131_132507.jpg

Attachments

• 20210131_124644.jpg
    20210131_124644.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 129
Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
Nobody seems to be pushing for any money for our mid March lets (except Wee Davy) which tells me something about whether they will be open or not? Less and less confident that is going to happen and I don't think I will be fulfilling my early April invite to the Hemsdale for the 2nd year running? Not that I am reluctant----------------------:(

D

Deleted member 11237

I'm hoping to fish the Burn Estate this season, what size rod would best suit? Tia

mows

Reaction score
Good luck to everyone having a cast on opening day tomorrow.
The water is looking nice and clear, but on the rise with the thaw today. Still a lot of snow about. There should be the odd fish about.
20210215_185529.jpg
k
20210215_185529.jpg
20210215_185453.jpg
20210213_131039.jpg
Some pictures from Saturday past.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Good luck guys. I'm going to drop a few rods off at canterland for Andy to try out so if you are going out have a shot and let me know what you think.
There will be a 12'9
A 13'6
And a 14'9 to try out.
I loved the 12'9 and the 13'6 but didn't get on great with the 14'9. It had a right through action to it and flexes into the handle. I dont think I had the right lines on it tbh and I'm not the best caster either. But its the only blank I think I would tweek before ordering more.
Just heard water is fishable so fingers crossed somebody gets some action.

westie4566

Reaction score
How's your Ould Auntie Mabel who is bedridden and needs you to help her get in the messages every week?
Does she not live in Maykirk?
Tell her I'm asking for her. :D
πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ I knew Arnold and I must be related...am dropping Auntie Mabel's messages off on the way the morn.😜

Thankfully I'm on the Aberdeen side of the river, nae the Angus one.

Here's hoping that things don't deteriorate water wise over night.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ I knew Arnold and I must be related...am dropping Auntie Mabel's messages off on the way the morn.😜

Thankfully I'm on the Aberdeen side of the river, nae the Angus one.

Here's hoping that things don't deteriorate water wise over night.
I'm on the Angus side but just going to throw the rods over the northie to Andy :ROFLMAO:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
How's your Ould Auntie Mabel who is bedridden and needs you to help her get in the messages every week?
Does she not live in Maykirk?
Tell her I'm asking for her. :D

Ah she's doing alright sir πŸ‘ thanks for asking 😁 but that big lanky sheep humper fae up the road is getting her messages this week 🀬. He frigging better remember and get her kippers, she goes mad if she don't get her kippers

Last edited: