North esk 2020

Oscar

Reaction score
Interesting rerad this thread.

I emailed Wainstones last week about a potential let in 2021, but have had no response. I really don't understand these places (and there seems a lot of fishing ones like this) who have online contact forms and then never get back to you. Totally mindless.

Anyhow, reading what's been put up recently I won't be chasing them!

Oscar.

Oscar

Reaction score
Indeed that is the case. I feel for Mick as he was quite open about living the dream in his job at Morphie. Such a hard working and dependable guy too. Can't see him being out of work for long, he is one of the best ghillies I've fished with, no question.
However, moving on, there does seem to be trouble at t'mill.
The estate put up our August days by £400 and said we could fish 5 rods instead of 4. Morphie can't take 5 rods in lower and bigger waters so we refused. It meant us accepting an increase of £100/rod/day to nearly £300 inc the lodge self catering. In our opinions, it ain't worth that for grilse fishing so we politely binned our lets.:)
Subsequently, I got an email from Steve Pickup, C.E.O. of Wainstones who advised that both Tom and Mick's services had been dispensed with and if we wanted a ghillie we would now have to pay extra.:shocked::shocked:
Talk about giving your customers an incentive?
We are not returning, instead heading up the Spey and maybe the Kyle for 3 days each to make up for it, using the money we save for more fly rods and reels no doubt.:lol:
Blimey, expensive at over £2k per week then - and self-catering at that! Cheaper to fish the Thurso.

keirstream

Reaction score
Blimey, expensive at over £2k per week then - and self-catering at that! Cheaper to fish the Thurso.
Eye watering for a grilse week although please bear in mind that they did extend the number of rods to 5 on what is really a 3/4 rod beat to help justify the increase. £300/ day is based on 4 rods fishing. We walked away when we baulked at the increase but would have done so anyway on the news of Mike Young being bumped. There is something strange going on at Wainstones. I don't think they held on to many tenants after these 2 events.:eek:hwell:

Loxie

Reaction score
Eye watering for a grilse week although please bear in mind that they did extend the number of rods to 5 on what is really a 3/4 rod beat to help justify the increase. £300/ day is based on 4 rods fishing. We walked away when we baulked at the increase but would have done so anyway on the news of Mike Young being bumped. There is something strange going on at Wainstones. I don't think they held on to many tenants after these 2 events.:eek:hwell:
It was on my to do list. Not now.

MIK

Reaction score
It was very disappointing that the logie counter was not working properly in 2019 you would of thought the powers to be at marine Scotland would of done everything they could to fix it so that there was concrete evidence that there was a rise in salmon numbers with the inriver nets coming off in 2018
Data from the counter was that nearly 3000 salmon went through in July and from what myself and others that are on the water witnessed in August the run was considerably greater but the counter was broken ...there was huge numbers of salmon last year I’ve not seen that amount since 2010/ 2011
As for Smolt Numbers now that Morphie Dyke is breached there is no flow going down the lade so the Smolt trap is defunked so all that years of studies is gone ...but from what I have seen and the results of electro fishing in the headwaters and anyone who fishes the Northie....All comment on the amount of juveniles in the system which they witness while fishing this is Surely being a result of Smolt shepherding which still surprises me to this day why all rivers are not carrying out this campaign....the results are there for everyone to see ...the North Esk is on the up and seems to be the only river with such a positive vibe ,why? because Smolt shepherding is carried out daily by a team of passionate lads that give a *** about their river and the salmon that swim in it .

MIK

Reaction score
As of this season I will be ghillie/manager of Balmakewan on the North Esk .
Exciting times for myself and the new owners and their will be considerable improvements carried out to the beat .
Huge thanks to everyone for their support of the last few months and anyone interested in availability give me a pm

mc andy

Reaction score
Exciting times for myself and the new owners and their will be considerable improvements carried out to the beat .
Huge thanks to everyone for their support of the last few months and anyone interested in availability give me a pm
Brilliant Mike, good luck in your new venture :)

easky

Reaction score
great news Mike, onwards and upwards!

keltman

Reaction score
well done Mike, all the very best to you and your family, hope you take your underwater camera rig with you :)

JS

Reaction score
Does not seem to be any fish getting caught at the moment even with the conditions looking ok. Is it a lack of fish or is few people fishing because of the coronavirus

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I would say the virus is stopping some from going fishing, but In my opinion there is definitely a lack of fish this season

Last edited:

Method man

Reaction score
I would say the virus is stopping some from going fishing, but In my opinion there is definitely a lack of fish this season
Totally agree 100%
Perhaps there’s not a lot of rods out & I know it’s still relatively early but we’re normally seeing a fair few by now & picking away but seems oddly quiet this season......

Maybe they’re in self isolation or socially distancing as they appear to be very thin on the ground🤷🏻*♂

Never mind, on the water again tomorrow so fingers crossed 🤞🏼

Loxie

Reaction score
Totally agree 100%
Perhaps there’s not a lot of rods out & I know it’s still relatively early but we’re normally seeing a fair few by now & picking away but seems oddly quiet this season......

Maybe they’re in self isolation or socially distancing as they appear to be very thin on the ground🤷🏻*♂

Never mind, on the water again tomorrow so fingers crossed 🤞🏼
I wouldn't expect many yet. Storm Frank and the incredibly warm winter of 2015/6 will mean very few 2:2's. Should be some 2:3's and later some 2:1's. I've still not been out yet!

MIK

Reaction score
We have seen a few fish coming off the tides this week ...this happens every year not many fish early spring but once April comes they will appear .....the cycle has changed regarding spring fish the run is later .
30 years ago summer fishing on Morphie was free as the main runs were spring autumn changed days

big fish @123

Reaction score
Hi guys one of my friends who lives on the banks of the river phoned me and said that there are lots of diseased fish in the river at the moment it breaks my heart to hear this but anglers cannot be blamed for maybe jagging fish it must be happening at sea, someone should be investigating this surely.

scoops

Reaction score
Happens every year there’s low water in the spring, check back some old Noth Esk threads, Mows has some photos clearly showing the disease on many fish, sad to see

mows

Reaction score
Just back from Singapore yesterday. Had a quick walk down the river to the Loups today. There has been a bit of rain and it had turned the water a bit milky. Not good for spotting, but did see 2 fresh fish of about 10lb heading up stream. No sign of disease there. Big Gannochy is usually the worst. I'll probably have a look over the weekend.
Great to be back and walking the river again.

mows

Reaction score
Had a walk down the river this morning.
Too early in the day to spot disease free fish, but fine for seeing diseased ones.
I did see 3 fish with wee spots on their nose.
Not unusual for this time of year, and as the water is warming up, they may well fully recover.
Only saw one fish with a few spots of disease, and it was holding in fast water so not too ill.
I did see an absolute spanker jump at the head of big gannochy.
Could only have been in the water a day or 2.
Much as it was too early in the day to spot fresh fish, I came away with the impression that there is far less fish than usual!
P10208371.jpgP10208411.jpgP10208431.jpg

mows

Reaction score
disease

Had a walk along the Nothie at lunch time today.
Saw a number of decent fresh fish, but also a few diseased ones.
The diseased ones ddnt look too bad, but once they are holding in the quiet eddies, they are finished.
Its just a mater of time.
Sad to see, but an annual occurrence on the Northie.
P1030003_Moment.jpgP1020867.jpgP1030002_Moment.jpgP1030007_Moment2.jpg

big fish @123

Reaction score
Surely in this day and age some marine scientists could take some samples of the affected fish to find out why it happens every year, it breaks my heart to see this happening.

mows

Reaction score
If you like gorges, you'll like these.
A mile or so upstream from the Loups, another barrier just as big as the Loups.
This mile of water isn't fished and is a perfect sanctuary for big fish coming in and hunkering down till spawning time.
There has been a very small rise from yesterday.
It seems to have brought a few more fish in and a few going over the Loups to head up the glen.
Very frustrating walking the river and seeing fresh fish stopping for a breather at the tail of some pools.
Its went from 15 degrees yesterday, to being shot blasted with hail today.

P1030101.JPGP1030098.JPGP1030107.JPGP1030104.JPG