North esk 2020

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I here that they'll be changes at morphie this year as the fishery manager and the ghillie have both been given the chop

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
I here that they'll be changes at morphie this year as the fishery manager and the ghillie have both been given the chop
Indeed that is the case. I feel for Mick as he was quite open about living the dream in his job at Morphie. Such a hard working and dependable guy too. Can't see him being out of work for long, he is one of the best ghillies I've fished with, no question.
However, moving on, there does seem to be trouble at t'mill.
The estate put up our August days by £400 and said we could fish 5 rods instead of 4. Morphie can't take 5 rods in lower and bigger waters so we refused. It meant us accepting an increase of £100/rod/day to nearly £300 inc the lodge self catering. In our opinions, it ain't worth that for grilse fishing so we politely binned our lets.:)
Subsequently, I got an email from Steve Pickup, C.E.O. of Wainstones who advised that both Tom and Mick's services had been dispensed with and if we wanted a ghillie we would now have to pay extra.:shocked::shocked:
Talk about giving your customers an incentive?
We are not returning, instead heading up the Spey and maybe the Kyle for 3 days each to make up for it, using the money we save for more fly rods and reels no doubt.:lol:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Indeed that is the case. I feel for Mick as he was quite open about living the dream in his job at Morphie. Such a hard working and dependable guy too. Can't see him being out of work for long, he is one of the best ghillies I've fished with, no question.
The estate put up our August days by £400 and said we could fish 5 rods instead of 4. Morphie can't take 5 rods in lower and bigger waters so we refused. It meant us accepting an increase of £100/rod/day to nearly £300 inc the lodge self catering. In our opinions, it ain't worth that for grilse fishing so we politely binned our lets.:)
Subsequently, I got an email from Steve Pickup, C.E.O. of Wainstones who advised that both Tom and Mick's services had been dispensed with and if we wanted a ghillie we would now have to pay extra.:shocked::shocked:
We are not returning, instead heading up the Spey and maybe the Kyle for 3 days each to make up for it, using the money we save for more fly rods and reels no doubt.:lol:
Everyone I've spoken to about morphie has said pretty much the same thing about mick, My old man was in the same boat this year sir and declined with them putting the price's up by crazy amounts, talk about ripping the pi sh, I've wanted to fish this beat for a while but at they prices I'll give it a miss and mibi just treat myself to a new wee rod this season 👍🏻

mows

Reaction score
That's a shame about Mick. He knows that beat inside out.
I can't see him being stuck.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Don’t know anything about the beat or circumstances but as that’s never stopped me chirping off....

After the most obvious puff piece ever in the Jan 2020 T&S, (just in time for letting confirmation and price rises from the sounds of it); the Ghillie and Manager get the chop!!!

There’s business and then there’s Salmon fishing business. There really are some chancers around.

keirstream

Reaction score
Don’t know anything about the beat or circumstances but as that’s never stopped me chirping off....

After the most obvious puff piece ever in the Jan 2020 T&S, (just in time for letting confirmation and price rises from the sounds of it); the Ghillie and Manager get the chop!!!

There’s business and then there’s Salmon fishing business. There really are some chancers around.
Kind of sums up the whole sorry story pretty succinctly.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

allysshrimp

Reaction score
Top man Mike. Only met him last year, but was very impressed by him. I can't see how it can be a 5 rod beat, no matter the conditions and to hike up the prices too......Nothing but a joke.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Kind of sums up the whole sorry story pretty succinctly.:thumb::thumb::thumb:
It’s a well worn path KS, not the first bunch of dreamers to over spend before having to cut their cloth and over sell. Won’t be the last either. You did right voting with your feet. I hope T&S reflect a wee bit o that unbalanced marketing guff and the apparent
Purpose behind it.

big fish @123

Reaction score
Hi mows does this mean that a lot of the redds will be washed away, it will be a real shame if this is the case.

mows

Reaction score
Hi mows does this mean that a lot of the redds will be washed away, it will be a real shame if this is the case.
Im sure there will be some washed away, but it gets that high most years, its just that it doesn't normally leave trees behind.
Its not normally that high for so long though.
Hopefully no serious damage done.

scoops

Reaction score
At least the tree has stuck there and not in the gorge to the left below the fish pass.
Up this way has got off lightly when see some of the river levels all over the UK

mows

Reaction score
At least the tree has stuck there and not in the gorge to the left below the fish pass.
Up this way has got off lightly when see some of the river levels all over the UK
Theres been a monster beech stuck in that spot for a couple of years Scoops. The canoeists have to go round it just now as its just bellow the surface normally.

keirstream

Reaction score
Two trips up and two wash outs :censored:
Tough luck A.
That is the reason I never book fishing until mid March nowadays. Far too chancy. Just wait and watch the water. I'm still waiting.:)
Had a couple of throws on Teith season water but no joy yet. Couldn't get near it for 3 weeks until last Thursday.

Jack Holroyd

Reaction score
We had the last week in August for many, many years but as prices rocketed and terms and conditions became more restrictive we now concentrate on our other fishings. Losing Mike was a big mistake for morphie , his enthusiasm was infectious. Good luck Mike.

westie4566

Reaction score
Nae joy there Arnold, that's even bigger than it was last Saturday and filthy too!!

We got lucky last week in that the water was clean and dropped away. Only joy for me was a broonie about 2 1/2lb rapidly followed by a big auld kelt (which had me going for 10 mins as it fought like a demon) both in the L Dam.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Tough luck A.
That is the reason I never book fishing until mid March nowadays. Far too chancy. Just wait and watch the water. I'm still waiting.:)
Had a couple of throws on Teith season water but no joy yet. Couldn't get near it for 3 weeks until last Thursday.
Ye take the good day's wae the bad day's 🎣. But I was looking forward to a cast today :nod:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Nae joy there Arnold, that's even bigger than it was last Saturday and filthy too!!

We got lucky last week in that the water was clean and dropped away. Only joy for me was a broonie about 2 1/2lb rapidly followed by a big auld kelt (which had me going for 10 mins as it fought like a demon) both in the L Dam.
It went higher than in the photo andy up to the top of the board 5ft, I didn't even bother setting up a rod last weekend either andy, always the next time 🎣

Last edited:

ArchieL

Reaction score
I do feel for anglers that book early fishing then come up to Scotland then it is flooded out. If i lived in England and was wanting to fish in February then i would not book anything then 2-3 days before i wanted to leave i would check the forecast then decide what river to fish. You can get rods on most rivers at this time. Yes i know some will want to fish a particular river and beat but you are taking a big risk. I was due to fish my local Teith syndicate rods when home for a month in February but only managed 1 & half days due to flooding. I was going to have a few days on the Tay but decided against it due to river heights and conditions so this money will now be used in April. I know most people with regular jobs will be restricted to just dropping things at short notice then heading up for fishing. I suppose i should feel lucky living so close to many Salmon rivers. Maybe i take it for granted just being able to book the night before then pack the car for next days fishing.

I know Fishpal are trying to punt the flooded out insurance but i think the beats in these hard times could be doing more to entice the paying Angler with credits for flooded out booked days or at least offer further days at reduced costs if you booked in advance and were flooded out. Lets be honest the Beats are not being fished anywhere like they were years ago due to lower returns now.

MIK

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouraging words lads ..I am totally gutted how I have been treated and hopefully I can still play my part on the river with the Smolt shepherding as the results are there for everyone to see the increase in salmon numbers with the campaign being in its 8 th year now it must be one of the only rivers which has a real positivity about it .
There has only been a few days with good fishing conditions this season so far .river good today and rest of the week ,, will decent height and clear ..Kinnaber has its first springer this afternoon.
Can’t say too much about Morphine but most of yous know what was going on down there and many of yous witnessed it.
Wainstoned have lost most of their rods with anglers walking away in support of me and how I was treated .
met some crakin lads and made some life long friends and hopefully see some of yous again ...One things for sure you can’t keep a good man down .I have a few things in the pipeline
Hopefully I get a cast with yous again sometime on a river bank somewhere
ATB
MIK