North esk 2020

keltman

Reaction score
Fished our July week as usual, 16th year on the trot. Had rods on Canterland, Pert and Inglesmaldie , fished it hard. Saw very few fish moving and by the Thursday a team of 6 of us were on nil. I was beginning to wonder if it was lack of fish or lack of our ability causing the blank.
Well, I’m pleased to confirm it was our lack of ability. An underwater camera put through the Ghoile pool on Canterland showed it was stuffed with fish 🤣🤣
Slightly redeemed ourselves by landing 3 fish in extra time !!
I share the optimism on this thread and wish all North Esk rods tight lines for 2020.
Wonder if the boat pool on Pert will provide the first fish again?

Slaneybs

Reaction score
There are various Esks, as well as Usks and an Exe in the U.K.. they share w root name Eisca which is Celtic for a river full of fish. Sadly not always true these days!
Very interesting to see that. Unfortunately due to a Belfast secondary education I have no Irish apart from the bits you pick up from everyday life and can check on the internet.
In Irish water is Uisca- pronounced Ishka. That is your Eisca which makes sense in Scotland but I never would have guessed the connection with the Exe and rivers in the south of England. It is amazing how long lost linguistic influences can last in place names and even in everyday language. I cant think of an Irish river with an Uisca derived name but I am sure someone on here can.
We do however have Uisce beatha the water of life - whiskey.
River is Abhainn which morphs into "owen" in English so we have a number of rivers called Owenmore, Owenbeg and Owenduff or Avonmore. The translations give us the the big river, the small river and the black river from Mor (big) Beag (small) and Dubh (black).

charlieH

Reaction score
I cant think of an Irish river with an Uisca derived name but I am sure someone on here can.
There's the Carrowniskey in South Mayo (it shares a watershed with the Bundorragha). Incidentally, its next door neighbour is the Bunowen - Bun deriving from Ban or Bawn, which variously means clear, fair or white, so Clear River (and indeed the Bunowen wasn't traditionally as peaty as most of its neighbours).

I suspect the Easky also gets its name from Uisce.

Slaneybs

Reaction score
There's the Carrowniskey in South Mayo (it shares a watershed with the Bundorragha). Incidentally, its next door neighbour is the Bunowen - Bun deriving from Ban or Bawn, which variously means clear, fair or white, so Clear River (and indeed the Bunowen wasn't traditionally as peaty as most of its neighbours).

I suspect the Easky also gets its name from Uisce.
I am sure you are right on all of those. thanks.

sewinfly

Reaction score
The picture of the dead kelt looks quite firm and full in the body.
Can see that there is dirt around it but looks a good fish

Nice pictures .

Sewinfly................

mows

Reaction score
20200210_122717.jpg
Northie looking not too bad today.
Storm Ciera hasn't had much effect.
Waters up but still clear.
Hopefully it's still as good next Monday on opening day.

Cheers

Mows

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
I had a 16lb farmer confirmed by Pitlochry as a second spawner on the Tay a few years ago and it tasted just fine. :)

charlieH

Reaction score
I have to say I'm surprised that wasn't spotted as an escapee straightaway. Quite apart from the state of the fins, the spot pattern just shouts farmed fish, rather than sea trout.

westie4566

Reaction score
Ahh ******.

Huge spate on the Northie tonight. 8' 11 and still rising and almost 6' on the Westie. That'll do a lot of damage to the redds.

Things are definitely going tits up weatherwise these days.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Ahh ******.

Huge spate on the Northie tonight. 8' 11 and still rising and almost 6' on the Westie. That'll do a lot of damage to the redds.

Things are definitely going tits up weatherwise these days.
A big water andy, hopefully it's not to big next weekend 🎣. Have a wee look back at a thread I posted back when we had big water's In 2013 (damage to redds) sorry I don't know how to post a link to it

Last edited:

mows

Reaction score
[ATfTACH=CONFIG]42515[/ATTACH]
Well that's a burger. Be a lot of drams and little fishing tomorrow on the Northie. Still gona give it a go if it drops and clears a bit.

Attachments

Lamson v10

Reaction score
[ATfTACH=CONFIG]42515[/ATTACH]
Well that's a burger. Be a lot of drams and little fishing tomorrow on the Northie. Still gona give it a go if it drops and clears a bit.
The best of luck sir 👍🏻 and Tightlines for the season 🎣

mows

Reaction score
Northie Opening day

Had a cast yesterday.
It was far from ideal conditions.
Water was too big and too coloured in the morning.
On the top beat Green banks was the only pool fishable.
Gave it an hour for nothing, but visibility was only about 30 inches.
It cleared up for the afternoon with visibility of at least 5 feet.
40 mph winds in to my face.
Gave it a good 3 hours.
Never saw anything or touched anything.
Still great to be out again.
I wont get another cast for 7 weeks.
The picture of the rod shows how windy it was.

20200217_121200.jpg20200217_152654.jpg20200217_152557.jpg20200217_151245.jpg20200217_151018.jpg20200217_150846.jpg20200217_150107.jpg20200217_150103.jpg20200217_121342.jpg20200217_121221.jpg20200217_120508.jpg20200217_153748.jpg

mows

Reaction score
Windy

That picture summed it up Brian.
That was a heavy weight and Devon too.
I couldn't cast along my bank as the line would be stuck in the trees.

ibm59

Reaction score
That picture summed it up Brian.
That was a heavy weight and Devon too.
I couldn't cast along my bank as the line would be stuck in the trees.
The wind has been incessant round here these last two weeks , Alan.
It’s been screaming through the church steeple across the road , day and night.
‘Haven’t had a decent night’s sleep since I don’t know when..
Making me grumpy( er) than ever. :redface::wow::peace: