North esk 2020

mows

Reaction score
Well 2019 seemed to be a reasonable year. Probably partly with the removal of the nets. There certainly seemed to be a lot of grilse on the Westie. There seemed to be a decent run of spring fish, but disease was pretty bad and because there also seemed to be a lot of fish suffering from the inflamed under belly disease as well. The disease was still visible in fish in late June. The seatrout seemed vulnerable to the underbelly disease as well. Every year there is an odd diseased seatrout but definitely a lot more this year. Normally its clearing up by mid April. Summer had schools of grilse running some days. There was an excellent video of Morphie, where the fish, big and small were going over the gravel bar in 4 to 6 inches. I wasnt here for the autumn run so cant really comment, but anecdotally there didn't seem to be a lot if fish turn up. Again, I wasnt around during the main spawning time see if there was plenty fish, but I did have a walk down Big Gannochy on Tuesday and to my surprise there was a cock fish of 15 to 20lb, a hen fish of well over 20 and a smaller fish of about 6lb, fighting and doing the business. When we finally see the counter numbers we will see what actually ran the river this year.
Balmcewan was sold this year. Hopefully theres no change to the fishing.
Hopefully I get sometime on the river this year.
Here's to a great 2020 season.

Cheers

Mows

mows

Reaction score
Some pics from my walk along the river today.
Only saw a couple of dead kelts.

20191221_140802.jpg20191221_134203.jpg20191221_141805.jpg

ArchieL

Reaction score
Middle picture looks an absolute belter of a pool to fish , could see myself spending a full day in that pool working down every inch of it with a tube fly then swapping for the spinning rod and a devon minnow or a vision 110. Fished the North Esk 3 x times and had a bend in the rod each time (2 x salmon + 1 kelt) it is a nice size river where you leave a pool and feel you have covered every inch and if there was 1 there you have covered him. Good luck for 2020 MOWS and to all other North Esk regular rods.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm easily confused by the river names, is this 'esk' in any way associated with one known as the Broder esk?

I had a guest here fishing this fall who fishes Broder Esk and I'm planning to travel to your country (UK) in 2020. I've a few venues lined up and the man who was here wants me to come to Cumbia to fish the Border Esk with him.

The pictures of the river shown are attractive and made me curious if it might be the same river.

Thanks,

Ard

ArchieL

Reaction score
I'm easily confused by the river names, is this 'esk' in any way associated with one known as the Broder esk?

I had a guest here fishing this fall who fishes Broder Esk and I'm planning to travel to your country (UK) in 2020. I've a few venues lined up and the man who was here wants me to come to Cumbia to fish the Border Esk with him.

The pictures of the river shown are attractive and made me curious if it might be the same river.

Thanks,

Ard
Different rivers Admin man, North Esk enters the North sea around Brechin and flows West to East coast. Border Esk flows North to South then enters the Solway Firth.

mows

Reaction score
Middle picture looks an absolute belter of a pool to fish , could see myself spending a full day in that pool working down every inch of it with a tube fly then swapping for the spinning rod and a devon minnow or a vision 110. Fished the North Esk 3 x times and had a bend in the rod each time (2 x salmon + 1 kelt) it is a nice size river where you leave a pool and feel you have covered every inch and if there was 1 there you have covered him. Good luck for 2020 MOWS and to all other North Esk regular rods.
It's a new pool Archie. Used to be a lot smaller with a couple of dubs below it. Recent floods have created it, so we will have to see how it fishes. I used to do ok in the old pool but most people ignored it. I think it could be a brilliant spring pool.
The Northie does punch above its weight with some very good beats and pools, but it's still a spate river.
The other pool is one of the better pools on the whole river.
Cheers

Mows

Last edited:

Loxie

Reaction score

Thanks,

Ard
There are various Esks, as well as Usks and an Exe in the U.K.. they share w root name Eisca which is Celtic for a river full of fish. Sadly not always true these days!

jamesyboy

Reaction score
What beat is it in the pictures,fished a few beats on the esk but dont recognize the pool

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
There are various Esks, as well as Usks and an Exe in the U.K.. they share w root name Eisca which is Celtic for a river full of fish. Sadly not always true these days!
Much like where I grew up in North Central Pennsylvania, the state had at least 4 small streams named Trout Run and three large (river size flows) called Fishing Creek. Some of these were separated by 100 miles or more but all shared a common title.

jamesyboy

Reaction score
Oh ryt fished there a few times before jasper took it off fishpal,still dont remember that pool is that the one below lyn Martin pool down bottom beat

mows

Reaction score
It's the old cement pool, the latest floods have trebled its length, and all the old concrete gone. It now looks s cracking pool. At the bottom of bottom beat.

westie4566

Reaction score
It's the old cement pool, the latest floods have trebled its length, and all the old concrete gone. It now looks s cracking pool. At the bottom of bottom beat.
Crikey, it hasn't half changed. No wonder I didn't recognise it!

As you say, it does look cracking now.

ibm59

Reaction score
Had a nice wee grilse from the Cement the one and only time I fished Burn Estate. 🙂

MIK

Reaction score
2019 was a good year for the North Esk more for the fish than the angler due to high waters all through the summer month s allowing fish to get where they wanted to be .
Late June saw big numbers of very big fish enter the system and the runs of salmon and grilse were prolific right through till the end of the season with fresh grilse still coming in off the tides in October.
Salmon fishing is a bit doom and gloom these days but not on the Northie there is a real buzz about this little gem of a river onwards and upward

Last edited:

mc andy

Reaction score
2019 was a good year for the North Esk more for the fish than the angler due to high waters all through the summer month s allowing fish to get where they wanted to be .
Late June saw big numbers of very big fish enter the system and the runs of salmon and grilse were prolific right through till the end of the season with fresh grilse still coming in off the tides in October.
Salmon fishing is a bit doom and gloom these days but not on the Northie there is a real buzz about this little gem of a river onwards and upward
Had a read of T&S this month as you suggested Mike, great wee read of the works carried out at morphie and quality of fishing! First time I've bought T&S in many a year.

Tightlines for the coming season everyone!

Cheers Andy

keirstream

Reaction score
Had a nice wee grilse from the Cement the one and only time I fished Burn Estate. 🙂
Fished Burn Estate for several days through the last season before the fishing was withdrawn. I was really getting to grips with the various pots, runs and pools and started to pick up fish on a regular basis culminating on a beautiful 11lb licer on 31st October.:thumb:
I was devastated when the fishing was pulled.:(
Beautiful water and what a difference to the Cement Pool, it really looks the biz now. Wish I could get a cast or 2 again.:nod:

westie4566

Reaction score
Fished Burn Estate for several days through the last season before the fishing was withdrawn. I was really getting to grips with the various pots, runs and pools and started to pick up fish on a regular basis culminating on a beautiful 11lb licer on 31st October.:thumb:
Beautiful water and what a difference to the Cement Pool, it really looks the biz now. Wish I could get a cast or 2 again.:nod:
Aye Tom, it's a real shame it's no longer available. Braw beat. That's what happen's when the muppets running it think it's Ok to take coin from paying rods, then over rod the beat with their family and friends and ignoring the reciprocal agreement with Edzell.

They ruined it for the guests, themselves and now everyone else.

rod n line

Reaction score
Burn estate

Tom, never blanked on it. Only been on it once with the water above 6 inches. Start in the tail of the gannochy and fish every wee run from there down. And on the bottom beat, would start at the top marker and fish every run again down to lyn Martin. Nearly Always had one in there. And sometimes one or two before I got down to it. One of ma favourite places to fish. Shame it's been taken off the map. Av seriously missed that beat.