No more free swinging

salarium

Reaction score
Free swinging hook

I know there has been many threads on free swing hooks ,I fished a black and silver 1" plastic tube yesterday evening with a free swinging size 12 treble, ( my very last treble, binned later :thumb:) , single spey casting with a switch rod , 8ft + ? x 12lb leader, no wind , 3 times in the first 20 mins felt like I hooked a leaf ? the free swinging hook had doubled over & hooked up to the leader , maybe a double or single wouldn't hook up as much ? anyway def not using this method ,anymore :amen:

salarium

Reaction score
That's because your leader probably landed in a pile and the fly dropped through and got caught up.
Could be ? but my casting is good , seldom happens when fishing with a fixed double on a brass or plastic conehead tube, or double hooked flies, I blame the treble ?, but binned it ,

wetwader

Reaction score
Do you use unweighted flies? Do you use a knot saver? If not using a knot saver, try one before you give it up.
I use it quite often and it’s my preferred method for small to middle size tubes, especially when the fishes do not take decided enough.
I don’t have any problems with tangling when doing fast airborn anchor casts.
What I recognized is, it can happen when doing waterborne anchor casts, which creates longer pauses. The hook is separating more or less from the fly because of it’s own weight. The less weighted the fly, the more it does, what could cause some issues.

The anchor is the point you should take a view on. In general, for both - airborne and waterborne anchor casts - the main point to avoid those issues is a controlled straight anchor.
The forward cast is seldom the problem. There is always tension. And as long as there is tension, the hook is where it should be.

Last edited:

Eminem

Reaction score
I've fished free swinging doubles for years now and they're great. No issues or wing/tail wrap.
Never tried free swinging trebles, probably for exactly the issue your finding.

offshore

Reaction score
What is the advantage of using a free swinging hook, in the first place ? Thanks

NEbody

Reaction score
Are you using tubing over the hook and knot (not on the tube) to keep them in line?

Like the examples shown on the left

E3BBC4B0-FE49-461F-BACE-CDBB1D4E503E.jpeg

Last edited:

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
I'll probably keep using a piece of rubber tubing on the end of the tube and stick the hook into that. Just feels right somehow and difficult to understand why you would hook less or lose more than with a free swinging hook as the rubber tubing shouldn't really give any leverage.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi,

I stopped using trailing hooks capable of moving around 3 seasons ago. On a very cold morning while steelhead fishing I had 2 solid hits, I did everything right, just let it hang and waited for the fish to pull away...……. Nothing there? After the second incident I examined the fly and found the single Owner hook stuck firmly into the collar materials and eye area.

How do I know it was a steelhead? Because a guy drifted through the seam while I was hurriedly changing to a tube and he was using the plastic salmon egg under bobber method. I could guess the fish at about 30" and maybe 7 1/2 pound based on what I could see from shore...………

Now it's either tube with junction tubing so the hook is tight behind the fly or a Jam Knot if I want the hook to be able to pivot behind the tube. Jam knots can also save some flies if you become snagged.

This video demonstrates the jam knot I like at the 2:40 point if you are curious.

Jam Knot for Tubes

salarium

Reaction score
Hi,

I stopped using trailing hooks capable of moving around 3 seasons ago. On a very cold morning while steelhead fishing I had 2 solid hits, I did everything right, just let it hang and waited for the fish to pull away...……. Nothing there? After the second incident I examined the fly and found the single Owner hook stuck firmly into the collar materials and eye area.

Well that puts the swingers to bed , hooking up on tube bodies , a no no for me, same with intruders type flies dangling about

Last edited:

GeeBee

Reaction score
Hi,

are you using mono or wire ? - i find no issues with the senyo wire. I also find it get better hook ups having the owner or Gami hook upwards.

Last edited:

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
are you using mono or wire ? - i find no issues with the senyo wire. I also find it get better hook ups having the owner or Gami hook upwards.
The offending hook was trailed using that braided spinning line at 65 pound test. The stuff seems stiff when applied to the shank during the tying but with use becomes limp as the wet noodle. Never had a problem with the Senyo wire but have transitioned almost totally to tubes. I've become a fan of the Wilkinson Sunray and the Dee Monkey patterns. 99% of the time I have one of those on the line unless fishing for Kings here.

Wire is good :cool:

allysshrimp

Reaction score
I fish Free swinging Hooks mostly in low water, only using Flee's tied on tube liners (little Cones)
Never had a problem yet using treble's, which i use nearly all the time with them. No biiger than Size 14 either.

Attachments

andy345

Reaction score
Do you fill the gap between the bends at the back with uv resin or aqua sure? That works for me, I seldom get wrapped up.