Newcomer to Prawn Fishing, a few questions.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Aye don’t be chucking it out and leaving the thing as it’s as far removed from what the old super skilled heads would do.
I’ve mentioned this before but it’s worth re telling as I had the same questions as yourself.
So after buying some coloured shrimps and the baiting pin to mount the damn thing I walked miles up my beloved Dwyfor to a deep pool I knew to hold the rivers salmon. Like you I was totally clueless and without a float I set it up to freeline the bait and maybe add some shot if needed?

First cast and within seconds my bait came back totally smashed and the next three casts were actually coming back shelled whilst I felt nothing. I knew it was salmon doing it though as they can smash it in the blink of an eye.
On the fifth cast I thought I was bloody snagged as unlike the skilled guys I would often get snagged. Got to the point where I had to point the rod at the “snag” to pull for a nasty break on strong line. Suddenly the snag came up from the bottom and hurled itself into the air, where after that I was able to get in pretty quick really.
Fish was a big un for Dwyfor and was 18lbs but was a few months old.
After that I promptly packed up despite there being more fish to catch but I felt like a cheat for not feeling the bites.

This thread has been good reading

Andrew B

Reaction score
t
He used to live about 6 houses away from our house! He was one of hardys top men! The river aln was the small river i learned, and served my time on! Its now about 300m from my house! Unfortunately not the river of its former glory! He was (is) 100% right about the bottom of the whiteadder! Tweed springers go up to the newmills cauld in the tide, hang around for a couple of days! Realise they are in the wrong river! Go back to the main tweed, then run the river (if they haven't got themselves caught first)
Wow mind truly blown🤯........ so many of those great videos of Colin Tait hooking up with springers in March way up the Whiteadder are probably destined for the Junction pool on the Tweed but turned right instead and provide some fairly consistent sport in March for those who care to actually have a cast for em?
That’s some really interesting stuff in my opinion as my local river Ribble was often said to have an early run of fish that ran the river within 48 hours up to and beyond Settle and would then drop back into the mid Ribble?

Totally agreed about those master bait fisherman you mentioned. To call it an art isn’t an understatement and yet most folk would automatically think fly fishing is the harder more skilful way to catch salmon lol.
The use of light line is baffling but they must of needed to use it, to get bites?

marty31

Reaction score
t
Wow mind truly blown🤯........ so many of those great videos of Colin Tait hooking up with springers in March way up the Whiteadder are probably destined for the Junction pool on the Tweed but turned right instead and provide some fairly consistent sport in March for those who care to actually have a cast for em?
That’s some really interesting stuff in my opinion as my local river Ribble was often said to have an early run of fish that ran the river within 48 hours up to and beyond Settle and would then drop back into the mid Ribble?

Totally agreed about those master bait fisherman you mentioned. To call it an art isn’t an understatement and yet most folk would automatically think fly fishing is the harder more skilful way to catch salmon lol.
The use of light line is baffling but they must of needed to use it, to get bites?
Still pools light line = no bulky weight, heavy pin and a glycerol soaked shrimp! All about stealth! Never really get snapped! Because if you know you have got light line on! The fish gets played according! These men knew exactly what they were doing!!

Rrrr

Reaction score
Still pools light line = no bulky weight, heavy pin and a glycerol soaked shrimp! All about stealth! Never really get snapped! Because if you know you have got light line on! The fish gets played according! These men knew exactly what they were doing!!
Aye, 6lb maxima straight through. A few still fish the mepp in the same way, 6lb maxima, no swivel and stalking fish from the bank. You do get line twist but just pull some line off.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Andrew B

Reaction score
Lol didn’t they just. I can only speak for myself that I’m so glad to have taken the time to be allowed to sit and watch em and try and take in what they were telling me? I can’t tell you how many folk told me they were a secretive and sullen bunch on many of the rivers I fished in Wales but I never found this to be the case at all.
Penny dropped when one of the blokes who told me this, just sat down amongst a bunch of old guys on a bench waiting for darkness and couldn’t recognise the moments when they were giving him advice and promptly started showing off his brand new “unused” gear and actually thought he could tell them about the river😂

Lol after that he got slated as someone with all the gear and no idea. Sadly all that particular crew are no longer about but yeah posh tackle aside, they really did know their stuff and more importantly knew their quarry.