Newcomer to Prawn Fishing, a few questions.

Bullet

Reaction score
I've recently started having a bash with Prawns. Float fishing them is not permitted were I fish.
I'm happy with mounting them and the rig, and so far have been bumping them along the bottom with just enough lead to get them down and sticking occasionally through the pool, which is quite slow and about 6 to 10 ft deep in normal summer levels. Is this the right approach ? Is there any mileage in just chucking them out and leaving them in the same place?
I also found a fish today lying tight to my bank in about 6 ft of water and lowered a Prawn in front of him, he moved away initially, but then just stayed there, paying no attention to the Prawn that was right in front of his nose. Is there anything you can do to try and encourage a take?

gwelsher

Reaction score
You are fishing it exactly the right way.
Fish can either hammer a prawn or run a mile. If you can sight fish it is worth trying different colours or a shrimp for a different size to see the reaction.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
I've recently started having a bash with Prawns. Float fishing them is not permitted were I fish.
I'm happy with mounting them and the rig, and so far have been bumping them along the bottom with just enough lead to get them down and sticking occasionally through the pool, which is quite slow and about 6 to 10 ft deep in normal summer levels. Is this the right approach ? Is there any mileage in just chucking them out and leaving them in the same place?
I also found a fish today lying tight to my bank in about 6 ft of water and lowered a Prawn in front of him, he moved away initially, but then just stayed there, paying no attention to the Prawn that was right in front of his nose. Is there anything you can do to try and encourage a take?
Sink and draw but don’t tighten until the fish does.

sewinfly

Reaction score
If I am touch ledgering I use the lightest lead as possible.
Its quite a snaggy hole where I fish can be 10 ft at times.
Set up is a running ledger with a weak link to the bomb,2-3ft of 15Ib hook length and 18Ib main line, both are Maxima.

The bites do vary but most of the time there is a quivering on the rod tip as if they are mouthing it.When this happens I usually lift the rod to move the prawn then place back down.Most of the time this induces a positive bite and strike straight away.

Purplewhiskers is a good place for prawns.

Sewinfly..............

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Bit of further info following Marty’s advice with which I only have slight differences this time.

Since this method has always been a reserve method for me after trying the fly first, I’ve only had to use shrimp at low water. I don’t like prawn at all.

So, I would set up with 8 lb running line to aid casting but 15lb on a 3’ leader. Run a light link of c 5 lb from a swivel and put some light shot on there to suit the conditions.

Kenwyn will sell you red shrimps, red elastic and pins ( just a straightened hook in appearance but I use a strong paper clip cut on the bias ). This enables quick changing of baits.

Like Marty, I’ve used natural brown shrimps which do not appear to upset fish. But red is as good as anything.

If there is enough current to allow the shrimp to swing around, fish it like a fly with a free loop of line over one finger. But it helps to still fish sink and draw so long as the bait does not break the surface,

In still water, use sink and draw with a slow wind and a high rod. That’s about it except never tighten in until you feel the weight of the fish as I said. Sometimes the fish will panic or nudge umpteen times without a take but destroying the shrimp. AG

Bullet

Reaction score
Thanks very much, everyone.
I've got some red prawns from purple whiskers, they are quite large so I'm thinking of netting a few smaller ones to try natural.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Check out "the art of the prawn" on youtube. James armstrong gives a lesson on how it was fished on the coquet and it works well.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

marty31

Reaction score
Bit of further info following Marty’s advice with which I only have slight differences this time.

Since this method has always been a reserve method for me after trying the fly first, I’ve only had to use shrimp at low water. I don’t like prawn at all.

So, I would set up with 8 lb running line to aid casting but 15lb on a 3’ leader. Run a light link of c 5 lb from a swivel and put some light shot on there to suit the conditions.

Kenwyn will sell you red shrimps, red elastic and pins ( just a straightened hook in appearance but I use a strong paper clip cut on the bias ). This enables quick changing of baits.

Like Marty, I’ve used natural brown shrimps which do not appear to upset fish. But red is as good as anything.

If there is enough current to allow the shrimp to swing around, fish it like a fly with a free loop of line over one finger. But it helps to still fish sink and draw so long as the bait does not break the surface,

In still water, use sink and draw with a slow wind and a high rod. That’s about it except never tighten in until you feel the weight of the fish as I said. Sometimes the fish will panic or nudge umpteen times without a take but destroying the shrimp. AG
30 years since i cast a shrinp in anger! Always sink and draw! Netted and preserved our own, preserved in glycerol, makes them heavy! Then mounted on copper electric wire again for weight! 6 to 8lb line all for ease of casting let it sink, then as you say sink & draw slow, with confidence! Some come right to your waders then take, some completely ignore the bait, some snatch and destroy the shrimp the if cast in again! Come rushing in and take the other half! The old men who then fished the coquet taught me! And they knew the business, with respect! Long before james Armstrong was invented! Despite popular belief! It is a very skilful method and dosent slaughter everything in the pool! But can be great sport! Only on the right day! Other days it can be useless, the frozen or salted dyed type were always useless for me! But no doubt others will swear by them! Horses for courses i guess!!

Auldghillie

Reaction score
30 years since i cast a shrinp in anger! Always sink and draw! Netted and preserved our own, preserved in glycerol, makes them heavy! Then mounted on copper electric wire again for weight! 6 to 8lb line all for ease of casting let it sink, then as you say sink & draw slow, with confidence! Some come right to your waders then take, some completely ignore the bait, some snatch and destroy the shrimp the if cast in again! Come rushing in and take the other half! The old men who then fished the coquet taught me! And they knew the business, with respect! Long before james Armstrong was invented! Despite popular belief! It is a very skilful method and dosent slaughter everything in the pool! But can be great sport! Only on the right day! Other days it can be useless, the frozen or salted dyed type were always useless for me! But no doubt others will swear by them! Horses for courses i guess!!
Superb fun but control needed. Had one run out of the river into a field on first run. Another run straight for my feet. One chase 1/4 shrimp across the surface of a pool time after time - my last shrimp after killing 4 I’m afraid but after fly tried.

marty31

Reaction score
Superb fun but control needed. Had one run out of the river into a field on first run. Another run straight for my feet. One chase 1/4 shrimp across the surface of a pool time after time - my last shrimp after killing 4 I’m afraid but after fly tried.
Exactly the same as my experiences! But it dosent work like that every day! If the water gets low for a while and the fish get properly settled in! They can totally ignore it even when cast over their nose! But a small rise fineing down and unsettled fish in a strange pool, it can be great sport! But now not in the least fashionable! The purest wins again! Maybe for the best? I dont know! Its looked upon now , the same as someone gaffing out gravid fish out of season at a dam🤣🤣

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Exactly the same as my experiences! But it dosent work like that every day! If the water gets low for a while and the fish get properly settled in! They can totally ignore it even when cast over their nose! But a small rise fineing down and unsettled fish in a strange pool, it can be great sport! But now not in the least fashionable! The purest wins again! Maybe for the best? I dont know! Its looked upon now , the same as someone gaffing out gravid fish out of season at a dam🤣🤣
I used to tease the posh folk at Rutherford the odd time I was on the other bank.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Aye, there was some masters of the art on the river. Alot of skills like the eel tail and low water minnow etc will become lost in history soon enough as the old timers leave the river.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Aye, there was some masters of the art on the river. Alot of skills like the eel tail and low water minnow etc will become lost in history soon enough as the old timers leave the river.

Most of us are just about gone Rrrrrrrrrrr...

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Do you know of anywhere the eel tail etc is still fished or is it a thing of the past ?

It’s 1985 when I used my last, they’d been in formalin since God knows when. Persuaded my pal to use it in the Pot, and we stitched a poor kelts jaws together with the 3 sets of trebles. Lucky to get it back alive. Couldn’t do it now.

But the sprat was used a lot in those days early in the season. I always found the fly or Devon as good as anything.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Most of us are just about gone Rrrrrrrrrrr...
When I got my first transport, a Tiger Cub, aged 16, I got up at 03:00 and was on the river at 04:00 with the brown shrimp. Usually had a couple by 07:00 they went into a sack in the bushes so as not to let on there were fish about to the metalchuckers or bailiffs. Home by 09:00 as the pools were heavily-fished by then.

marty31

Reaction score

The oldies used to show you the art! And a art it was! A great amount of the coquet was ideal for the natural shrimp (never used the prawn) they showed you how to mount it! What size to use! And how to use it! Anybody using frozen or dried salted shrimp was just laughed at! They used a strand out of a cut square of nylon stocking! To hold the shrimp onto the pin when mounted properly, with both whiskers most definitely intact! No weight! Very light nylon! It was most deadly, i dont know how these pools are (or if) these days?

marty31

Reaction score
When I got my first transport, a Tiger Cub, aged 16, I got up at 03:00 and was on the river at 04:00 with the brown shrimp. Usually had a couple by 07:00 they went into a sack in the bushes so as not to let on there were fish about to the metalchuckers or bailiffs. Home by 09:00 as the pools were heavily-fished by then.
Hooked 4 in a daft hour one early morning, one came right to the rod tip with its white mouth open, then took, another jumped over a overhanging tree branch and left my gear tangled up in the branch, all in a tiny pool! What sport it was👍

Rrrr

Reaction score
The oldies used to show you the art! And a art it was! A great amount of the coquet was ideal for the natural shrimp (never used the prawn) they showed you how to mount it! What size to use! And how to use it! Anybody using frozen or dried salted shrimp was just laughed at! They used a strand out of a cut square of nylon stocking! To hold the shrimp onto the pin when mounted properly, with both whiskers most definitely intact! No weight! Very light nylon! It was most deadly, i dont know how these pools are (or if) these days?
Just fished with small mepps now. Some of the trees with metal knocked in for climbing and spotting are still there too. Just no pensioners 20 foot up trees these days

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Rrrr was saying the other day that his club had instigated a bait ban. I really don’t know how the powers at be can then complain about losing members. Years ago I met Ian Blagburn, ex Hardy, on The Tay, he told me that folk just go on casting holidays these days - this was c 1986. He loved trolling on Loch Tay for some reason. He also liked the Aln which Marty mentioned recently. Told me springers from other rivers came up to top of tide a la Whiteadder.

Sad to learn recently that he’d died, a lovely man. He could cast with 2 trout rods in each hand. He had hard luck when he started reel-making. His late wife was Jim Hardy’s sister.

Last edited:

marty31

Reaction score
Rrrr was saying the other day that his club had instigated a bait ban. I really don’t know how the powers at be can then complain about losing members. Years ago I met Ian Blagburn, ex Hardy, on The Tay, he told me that folk just go on casting holidays these days - this was c 1986. He loved trolling on Loch Tay for some reason. He also liked the Aln which Marty mentioned recently. Told me springers from other rivers came up to top of tide a la Whiteadder.

Sad to learn recently that he’d died, a lovely man. He could cast with 2 trout rods in each hand. He had hard luck when he started reel-making. His late wife was Jim Hardy’s sister.
He used to live about 6 houses away from our house! He was one of hardys top men! The river aln was the small river i learned, and served my time on! Its now about 300m from my house! Unfortunately not the river of its former glory! He was (is) 100% right about the bottom of the whiteadder! Tweed springers go up to the newmills cauld in the tide, hang around for a couple of days! Realise they are in the wrong river! Go back to the main tweed, then run the river (if they haven't got themselves caught first)

Auldghillie

Reaction score
He used to live about 6 houses away from our house! He was one of hardys top men! The river aln was the small river i learned, and served my time on! Its now about 300m from my house! Unfortunately not the river of its former glory! He was (is) 100% right about the bottom of the whiteadder! Tweed springers go up to the newmills cauld in the tide, hang around for a couple of days! Realise they are in the wrong river! Go back to the main tweed, then run the river (if they haven't got themselves caught first)
It’s very funny. I’d bought a Hardy Favourite 15’ 4” and a pal a Diawa C98. I told Ian his rod was S—-e when compared. Told me to send it in which I did. He agreed and re-ringed the Hardy garbage.

marty31

Reaction score
It’s very funny. I’d bought a Hardy Favourite 15’ 4” and a pal a Diawa C98. I told Ian his rod was S—-e when compared. Told me to send it in which I did. He agreed and re-ringed the Hardy garbage.
Ha time flys! Ian lived (as i said) 6 doors away! That was when i lived in my parents house! I have now been moved out for 40 years ha ha! Might have to re- name my user name to auldmarty31 🤣🤣