New Worming Rod

gwelsher

Reaction score
Look at Barbel rods. Fox, Daiwa and many others do great rods for less than £100.
An 11' with 1.75lb test curve will be spot on for most rivers. If you fish a river with tight spaces look at 10' If it's a very snaggy river consider going up to 2.25lb test curve.

S.preston

Reaction score
I picked up a daiwa procast seatrout 11ft off waveinn.com. Its specifically for bait fishing although there is a spinning version. I found it perfect for small to medium sized rivers I fish here in County Cork. I paired it to a Daiwa exceller lt reel and braid and its perfectly balanced

Treecutter

Reaction score
I managed to get a Harrison Killin Stick 1.5lb tc made in Ireland, great rods but unfortunately like rocking horse muck.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Royser89

Reaction score
I use a diawa wilderness 12ft and I would not use anything else. I find it great to control and easier to lift out of snags.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Aled

Reaction score
In the bad old days of serious worm fishing, i'd use a Mac Martin 11ft 2 piece for heavy water salmon worming, or a John Wilson 11ft Avon rod for light line worming in low water for sea trout & grilse.
Tight Lines
Aled

salarchaser

Reaction score
Ive a Grays Prodigy 12', with 2 tips. 1.25 and 1.75lb.
The light tip is good for low water.
Two draw backs.
First, its only 2 piece.
Second, worming has been banned on Welsh waters. 😖

sewinfly

Reaction score
Ive a Grays Prodigy 12', with 2 tips. 1.25 and 1.75lb.
The light tip is good for low water.
Two draw backs.
First, its only 2 piece.
Second, worming has been banned on Welsh waters. 😖
Not for Sewin.

At the moment we have petition going against NRW regarding the use of prawn on the river Usk.

Tightlines
Spencer

salarchaser

Reaction score
Not for Sewin.

At the moment we have petition going against NRW regarding the use of prawn on the river Usk.

Tightlines
Spencer
Yeah, I know. Its what makes a farce of the rules.
Ive hooked lots of species other than the target on various methods.
I suppose NRW assume salmon will know that they are 'sea trout worms'.
Also, what is to stop me using a bait controller, a size 2 hook and a lob to fish for chub? Ive had a few chub when worm fishing for salmon. And eels and trout and grayling. On the lower Welsh Dee Ive had quite a few flatties as well.

peterchilton

Reaction score
Yeah, I know. Its what makes a farce of the rules.
Ive hooked lots of species other than the target on various methods.
I suppose NRW assume salmon will know that they are 'sea trout worms'.
Also, what is to stop me using a bait controller, a size 2 hook and a lob to fish for chub? Ive had a few chub when worm fishing for salmon. And eels and trout and grayling. On the lower Welsh Dee Ive had quite a few flatties as well.
so true on the Wye of course, come the middle of June the bank will be bristling with Barbel anglers trying any legal method to capture that fish of a lifetime, and worms in all forms will be legal. Its shocking really. Not that I want worming legal for salmon btw. ;)

salarchaser

Reaction score
so true on the Wye of course, come the middle of June the bank will be bristling with Barbel anglers trying any legal method to capture that fish of a lifetime, and worms in all forms will be legal. Its shocking really. Not that I want worming legal for salmon btw. ;)
Not done a huge amount of worming with around 80% of my modest total on the fly, including all my Wye fish.
On some stretches on the lower Welsh Dee it is the only way they can be fished.
It would be nice to have the option.

peterchilton

Reaction score
I caught a few on the Severn on the worm and it really should be 'horses for courses', so to speak, its impossible to make a sweeping rule that suits even all welsh rivers never mind all UK rivers. Another disaster form NRW. How do they keep getting away with being so out of touch?

When i fished worm I always used an 11 foot carp rod (damn things were always 2 piece), I have a 11 foot Daiwa wilderness spinning rod that would be too 'tippy' for worming?

speers

Reaction score
boy oh boy do i miss using bait, mostly worming in a spate, just fantastic fishing.,
diawa whisker,
hardy fibalite, spinning rod mustard whippings
old glass fly rod,

but the new course rods are i think for the price a lot better, and cheaper.
i have a fox carp 11 foot for prawn fishing,
this subject is quite emotive , as i always used my finger to feel the bite, then struck the fish,,, back when i was small i used 6 foot woollies special