New to tying

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Hi to all as the title suggests I am new to tying and am having trouble tying hackle on to shrimp type flys size 10 -12 please could someone reccomend a hackle and a method for a novis
thanks all natt

thunderflash

Banned
Reaction score
Hi simple rules that I use.
1. use chinese hackles or soft genetic types they are easier to double.
2. always double your hackle many explanations on here I just do as I go as I feel the scissors method can damage your hackle if you are not careful.
3. catch your hackle in by the tip and fold back, this helps with bulk and stops your hackle pulling out.
4. sounds daft but be the boss of the hackle, it will naturally want to do its own thing so wind it squarely and it touching turns for best results.
5. Get a lesson or find someone who has been tying for a long time there are loads of little tricks to help, too many for writing down but watching an expert will help alot.
6.Be patient it is'nt called the art of flytying for nothing but with time and practice it will become easy.

Good luck if I can help with anything drop me A P.M
Best wishes Aaron.:)

macd

Banned
Reaction score
something else to consider is stopping the body well back from the eye.

eg. on a size 9 salar i stop the body about 5mm from the eye. the 5mm is absorbed in the turns of hackle and the head.

also use as fine a thread as you can.

tweedbunnet

Banned
Reaction score
Two great bits of advice so far.

As far as your flies are concerned, are you using Dyed orange Squirrel or some type of Fox hair?

I prefer Orange or Hot Orange Bucktail for these types of Ally's Shrimps plus 3 strands at most of Flash in the tail

Where is the collar hackle on the last two flies on the left
I like the third from the left and the third from the right

Are you tying beard or throat Hackle style on most of these Shrimps.

I would suggest you do a full Collar Hackle after tying in the Tippet Wing

Sometimes it can pay to cut a V-Shaped tippet and then varnish the tips

It would help me comment more if you could show the flies side on for any other comments

tweedbunnet

Last edited:

Bad_bastie

Reaction score
Im not really being overly helpful as regards your problems, but have you got a bigger pic of the 6th one over? my eye was imediatley drawn to it.

natthargreaves

Reaction score