New tackle for 2020

Neil W

Reaction score
I am sitting looking out of the window as storm Dennis is starting to hit contemplating the new season ahead.
Part of the enjoyment I have is getting and trying good new tackle. So this year I am really looking forward to trying a 14’ 9wt sage igniter in Norway in June. I haven’t bought it yet but will be in the coming weeks based on the recommendation of people I know who rate the rod very highly.
I am also looking forward to trying a Sage one 6wt switch rod which I bought off a forum member as it will be perfect for parts of a small river I fish in the Autumn. It grass casts the line I like to use (Airflo switch floating line) very very well and I am convinced will help me fish parts of the river better. It’s also a lovely rod to own
I am also looking forward to trying the Vision Ace floating/int scandi line as I can think of many pools where this line would be a great choice and I have also never used a vision head before.

What new tackle, River etc will any of you be looking forward to this year?

budge

Reaction score
I am sitting looking out of the window as storm Dennis is starting to hit contemplating the new season ahead.
Part of the enjoyment I have is getting and trying good new tackle. So this year I am really looking forward to trying a 14’ 9wt sage igniter in Norway in June. I haven’t bought it yet but will be in the coming weeks based on the recommendation of people I know who rate the rod very highly.
I am also looking forward to trying a Sage one 6wt switch rod which I bought off a forum member as it will be perfect for parts of a small river I fish in the Autumn. It grass casts the line I like to use (Airflo switch floating line) very very well and I am convinced will help me fish parts of the river better. It’s also a lovely rod to own
I am also looking forward to trying the Vision Ace floating/int scandi line as I can think of many pools where this line would be a great choice and I have also never used a vision head before.

What new tackle, River etc will any of you be looking forward to this year?
I picked up a couple of Vision Ace heads myself, going cheap. I've only cast the float/inter yet, but really struggled at first. I fished it with a fast sinking polyleader and brass tube. I just couldn't get it to roll the fly and leader up till I started to pull the back of the head through the first few rod rings !
After I realised that it was much better. When I looked at the head at home it does have quite a long rear taper that goes down very fine, it would definitely benefit from a couple of feet lopping off the back. Only snag is losing the welded loop.
I would be interested to hear how you find things ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
I was good over the closed season for buying tackle this year as i went abit mad last season.
Mostly new lures, flees and flee boxes to be better organised. Oh and a giant mcleans weigh net that i won for 40 quid on ebay by default as i bid after a few beers and no one else bid on it, netted 1 fish with it allready for another agnler but may sell it on as i think i prefer my old big shapes net.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Tangled

Reaction score
Trying not to buy any more stuff and work more an making the stuff I already have work better for me.

Robb76

Reaction score
Looking forward to using my new Sage Igniter 7126. I've managed about an hours test casting with it and I'm really impressed. Be very interested to hear how you get on with 9140 NeilW when you get it, I'm using an X 9140 as my go to rod for bigger waters which is great when I remember to slow my casting style down!

Reaction score
Looking forward to using my igniters 9140 and 6126 and the various gaelforce lines I purchased over the closed season. Had a day out with the 9140 on the opening day of the Findhorn, really enjoyed using it.

wetwader

Reaction score
Funny to see this thread today, Neil !
It’s tackle time for me too - weekend, end of season for hucho hucho exactly today ! and two weeks until the trout season starts again, three months to prepare for salmon fishing in Norway... In effect I am only two weeks forced to be out of fishing, luckily in several aspects. If longer without active fishing, I would do a lot of stupid things and buy just for satisfaction... It’s better for me to do around with tackle in small doses spread over the year I guess. But nevertheless I can’t stop myself to test new equipment. It’s part of the fun.

Just end of the year I got my new Guideline NT8 11‘9 in#7/8. Too late for the trout season and serious testing in real fishing situations. I ordered it middle of 2019, but it was out of stock. It won’t get use as a switch rod. It’s a MiniSpey for me. First casting sessions were promising in aspects of performance as a serious casting tool especially for big river situations, targeting bigger trouts, and low water situations for salmons/seatrouts. So I am excited to use the opening in March for further impressions.
I also ordered a NT8 13‘9 in #9/10 this week for a friend who wanted me to find a perfect fit of rod-line pairings. He wanted the 4piece, what is interesting for me too for comparison, because I already know the 6piece model. Who knows, maybe I am blown away this time... But I already have very strong competitors in this category in my Harem.
With rods I was already absolutely over equipped and gave away 36 DH rods the last years to friends. I couldn’t believe it myself when I did a list of my rods:wow:... I paid twice, for the rods and my therapist:redface: But he did good work. I only kept my personal favorites, for fishing (and for further comparisons:D). A lot of space now.
Because you mention thoughts for the Sage Igniter: I hope Sage was doing a good job now and it’s a Scandi rod on the level of the European labels now. After the Sage Brownies (3piece), designed by Göran Andersson, I couldn’t become familiar with a single Sage series. Exception in the real DH category was the TCX 7126 and in the Switch category the 5119, 7119 and 8119. But that’s very individual of course. Hope the 14’ Igniter is between the previous Method (weak tip, stiff butt) and the X, which is too much in the other direction for me. Maybe finally they found a nice progressive action.
What I learned in sharing impressions in rod characteristics is, one have to try it. Too different are the individual preferences and descriptions. You have to buy it, as long as you don’t have the possibility to test it seriously with your favorite lines you are used to, side by side with your X (as far as I remember?).
I would be interested to try the NAM rods.
In lines you mentioned the Vision float/intermediate. I liked the early Vision lines very much as floaters and the ghost tip lines (clear intermediate) with a mono core. The double density lines were always a little tip heavy for my standards. I prefer the floaters from Vision and use intensively the highly adaptable Rio SVT/SSVT for sinktip applications on every rod from #4 to #10, also the Nextcast SalarFinder in rods from 13’6/14’ up to 15’.
For stealthy fishing and necessity of clear tips (in lighter rod/line categories) I customize my own tips out of a stock of clear coated mono core lines, longer than the standard tips in 10‘ for smoother presentation. The Rio Belly’s can be paired with different tips very versatile, always in consideration of mass distribution and length of course.

Lines, tips and leaders and all possibilities in combinations are a very very big playground to experiment. I am still splicing own creations of Belly’s and tips, especially for the MiniSpey game. Lines and line adjustments are a big part of my tackle sickdom.

Last edited:

Thrasher

Reaction score
A couple of spools of maxima probably, the way salmon fishing is going no new rods, reels or lines required, certainly this season anyway.

Neil W

Reaction score
I will let you know about the igniter. I do have the X as well but want a 2 rod set up for Norway. One with a floating Scandi and one with a sink tip including the Vision Ace sink tip. It’s worth a go anyway.
Would be great to know about the 7126 as well.
Looking forward to using my new Sage Igniter 7126. I've managed about an hours test casting with it and I'm really impressed. Be very interested to hear how you get on with 9140 NeilW when you get it, I'm using an X 9140 as my go to rod for bigger waters which is great when I remember to slow my casting style down!

Neil W

Reaction score
My friends who tend to have no more than 5 rods laugh at me a bit for having a dozen rods. That said they have also benefited from my testing rods and use the Sage TCX 8119 which is a brilliant small river rod. One also had to get a sage one 15ft as he liked it so much, maybe because he caught 5 on it while giving it a go on the Spey.
I am trying to sell before I buy these days but not always successful

Funny to see this thread today, Neil !
It’s tackle time for me too - weekend, end of season for hucho hucho exactly today ! and two weeks until the trout season starts again, three months to prepare for salmon fishing in Norway... In effect I am only two weeks forced to be out of fishing, luckily in several aspects. If longer without active fishing, I would do a lot of stupid things and buy just for satisfaction... It’s better for me to do around with tackle in small doses spread over the year I guess. But nevertheless I can’t stop myself to test new equipment. It’s part of the fun.

Just end of the year I got my new Guideline NT8 11‘9 in#7/8. Too late for the trout season and serious testing in real fishing situations. I ordered it middle of 2019, but it was out of stock. It won’t get use as a switch rod. It’s a MiniSpey for me. First casting sessions were promising in aspects of performance as a serious casting tool especially for big river situations, targeting bigger trouts, and low water situations for salmons/seatrouts. So I am excited to use the opening in March for further impressions.
I also ordered a NT8 13‘9 in #9/10 this week for a friend who wanted me to find a perfect fit of rod-line pairings. He wanted the 4piece, what is interesting for me too for comparison, because I already know the 6piece model. Who knows, maybe I am blown away this time... But I already have very strong competitors in this category in my Harem.
With rods I was already absolutely over equipped and gave away 36 DH rods the last years to friends. I couldn’t believe it myself when I did a list of my rods:wow:... I paid twice, for the rods and my therapist:redface: But he did good work. I only kept my personal favorites, for fishing (and for further comparisons:D). A lot of space now.
Because you mention thoughts for the Sage Igniter: I hope Sage was doing a good job now and it’s a Scandi rod on the level of the European labels now. After the Sage Brownies (3piece), designed by Göran Andersson, I couldn’t become familiar with a single Sage series. Exception in the real DH category was the TCX 7126 and in the Switch category the 5119, 7119 and 8119. But that’s very individual of course. Hope the 14’ Igniter is between the previous Method (weak tip, stiff butt) and the X, which is too much in the other direction for me. Maybe finally they found a nice progressive action.
What I learned in sharing impressions in rod characteristics is, one have to try it. Too different are the individual preferences and descriptions. You have to buy it, as long as you don’t have the possibility to test it seriously with your favorite lines you are used to, side by side with your X (as far as I remember?).
I would be interested to try the NAM rods.
In lines you mentioned the Vision float/intermediate. I liked the early Vision lines very much as floaters and the ghost tip lines (clear intermediate) with a mono core. The double density lines were always a little tip heavy for my standards. I prefer the floaters from Vision and use intensively the highly adaptable Rio SVT/SSVT for sinktip applications on every rod from #4 to #10, also the Nextcast SalarFinder in rods from 13’6/14’ up to 15’.
For stealthy fishing and necessity of clear tips (in lighter rod/line categories) I customize my own tips out of a stock of clear coated mono core lines, longer than the standard tips in 10‘ for smoother presentation. The Rio Belly’s can be paired with different tips very versatile, always in consideration of mass distribution and length of course.

Lines, tips and leaders and all possibilities in combinations are a very very big playground to experiment. I am still splicing own creations of Belly’s and tips, especially for the MiniSpey game. Lines and line adjustments are a big part of my tackle sickdom.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I’ve been splashing out on loads of stuff since the season ended. I’ve bought 3 custom loop cross s1’s in 11ft, 13’6” and 15ft. I’ve bought a loop sds line with tips for the 13’6”, a Barrio integrated switch line for the 11ft. A skb 9/11 overdrive reel, various rage heads, various skagits, line wallets, a Simms G3 tactical jacket, custom fit vision icon waders from diver Dave, Simms flyweight boots with supatrax studs, Abu Garcia gloves, fly boxes and a load of Kamasan b990’s tungsten beads. Also invested in a mcleans sea trout weigh net. As well as buying a load of stuff to make the equipment to build a rod as well a loop cross blank to build for my son’s birthday(I’ve just finished it and will update thread with pics this weekend)
Oh and a wee portable out door gas heater. Even heats your soup up.
Buying new gear is only second to actually fishing 😁. It makes the closed season more bearable. I’ve not tried any of it out yet. To say I’m itching to get out is an understatement. Although I gave my son his loop rod I built early as I just couldn’t wait until his birthday and he is delighted with it and is even more desperate to get out than me now. 😂

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I'm hoping that I shall not need (or succumb to the temptation) to buy any major items of new tackle this year. There are 2 reasons for this: first, last year I gave myself a retirement present in the form of the Vision XO 13' 6"; and second, this year includes a major birthday, and my wife and children seem to be planning......so fingers crossed.

Troosers Too

Reaction score
I’ve been splashing out on loads of stuff since the season ended. I’ve bought 3 custom loop cross s1’s in 11ft, 13’6” and 15ft. I’ve bought a loop sds line with tips for the 13’6”, a Barrio integrated switch line for the 11ft. A skb 9/11 overdrive reel, various rage heads, various skagits, line wallets, a Simms G3 tactical jacket, custom fit vision icon waders from diver Dave, Simms flyweight boots with supatrax studs, Abu Garcia gloves, fly boxes and a load of Kamasan b990’s tungsten beads. Also invested in a mcleans sea trout weigh net. As well as buying a load of stuff to make the equipment to build a rod as well a loop cross blank to build for my son’s birthday(I’ve just finished it and will update thread with pics this weekend)
Buying new gear is only second to actually fishing . It makes the closed season more bearable. I’ve not tried any of it out yet. To say I’m itching to get out is an understatement. Although I gave my son his loop rod I built early as I just couldn’t wait until his birthday and he is delighted with it and is even more desperate to get out than me now.
I love it! That's properly extracting every ounce of fun that you possibly can. I hope you enjoy it all.

TT

Neil W

Reaction score
Good for you! Great set of new things to try. I need to up my game :lol:

Buying new gear is only second to actually fishing 😁. It makes the closed season more bearable. I’ve not tried any of it out yet. To say I’m itching to get out is an understatement. Although I gave my son his loop rod I built early as I just couldn’t wait until his birthday and he is delighted with it and is even more desperate to get out than me now. 😂

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Sorry to report no new tackle, I have a huge array of stuff, a lot of which, especially lines are unused, bought on a whim, the lack of fish, over the last couple of seasons, coupled with weather extremes have somewhat dampened my, and many others enthusiasm, but the mass of awesome colour combinations in the zonker strips, recently bought have at least got the vice into action, something different to chuck around, really like the chartreuse with fluoro pink/black barred version, watch this space for results on that!!!!!
peter

Loxie

Reaction score
I've no intention of buying any new tackle. However I still have a bit of a wish list for some second hand stuff, but no more than half a dozen rods!

budge

Reaction score
Think I will wait till salmon fishing is no more, should be some proper bargains in about 10 years

ibm59

Reaction score
Think I will wait till salmon fishing is no more, should be some proper bargains in about 10 years

I’m surprised that there aren’t more right now. 🙄😳

salarchaser

Reaction score
With the new NRW restrictions, I'll have some spare non-fly gear.
Not sure what waters will be available on upper nithsdale either so my salmon fishing will be significantly curtailed.

On the look out for a pike rod though. Have a gap to fill.:sad:

rs2ford

Reaction score
Looking forward to fishing with a couple of rods I bought since the close season. Gaelforce Destination 13'9" 8/9 and a Hardy Demon sintrix smuggler 14'6".
I have cast them both a good few times and have all the lines sorted so just need to get some time on the river and hopefully a fish or 2.
Cheers Diarmid.

Neil W

Reaction score
I am still being positive about fishing. It looks like I can’t do my annual spring trip to the Dee as a bad back needs to avoid such activity. I will miss using new gear and the delights of Banchory night life as well as the fishing even if we haven’t caught much the last few years. I always enjoy fishing and using new gear whatever happens.
I will need to try one of those Gaelforce rods at some stage and the 13’9” 8/9 destination is on the list

keirstream

Reaction score
I actually thinned down much of my gear over the winter but did add a 7/8 Gaelforce multi tip as well as 3 10/11 multi tip heads and a set to tips. That'll cover most of my fishing.:thumb:
I did, however retain my hard core of gear to face all the trials of the season ahead. 4 Gaelforce rods, my prize 13ft 6in Zenith and 5 Danielsson reels.
Will I manage with such a meagre selection? The next transfer window doesn't open till summer, it'll be a bit of a testing time.:)

AlanT

Reaction score
Only thing I'd like to buy is a new #6/7 cassette reel for reservoir fishing. Nothing catching my eye so far, ooen to suggestions. . .

wilbert

Reaction score
Well as luck would have it (not) my wading boots, waders and jacket have all seen better days and with a trip to the Spey next month I will be replacing them with new and keeping the old ones for work parties etc. Certainly had my monies worth out of the old kit as it is all between 5 and 8 years old. Other than consumables I can't see any big tackle purchases this year unless something drastic happens.