New Switch Reel

Rennie

Reaction score
This sort of thread is always popular!.As some of you may have clocked, been looking for a reel for my new Switch rod.Not wanting to spends wads of cash, so been looking at the Maxcatch Classic reel, for less than £100.Any way, uuummmed n aaahhhed for a while, but still kept on surfing around, fully expecting a second hand purchase in the end.I decided against the Maxcatch purely if something go's wrong and the distance involved etc., but got some great feed back from here on the forum and as the brand establish's itself and its reputation grows its a decision that will be easier to make in favour of Maxcatch.
So, after 2 weeks of t'interweb rummaging and surfings, I found a Scierra Traxion 2 in 8ten for just over £80 from a uk seller (tackle dealer), brand spanker, a reel I have looked at for some time, but again just wondered.Arrived this morning and it looks great.Lovely finish, well made, wide range of drag setting(micro adjustable drag!) with a rim drag adjustment and fully sealed. Wide, large arbour spool, again something I favour! .Capacity says 230 yds 30lb and a WF 9. I'll be loading the reel with a 40yd 8 weight Airflo 40+ floater and expect 150yds of 30lb backing.Reels rarely give what the blurb says!.It's a silent retrieve, but a discreet outgoing check(which I tend to favour), looks well presented and well engineered.
Now I've two other "Switch" reels, its slightly larger (not by much) so would certainly suit the larger switch outfits, balances my Airflo just fine.Comes with the now obligatory neoprene case and tool for switching winding hand orientation.
It's to be loaded and fettled yet (waiting for new backing to arrive!) but as soon as it's ready I'll pass on further info.
Currently doing cheshire cat impersonations!, Pedro.

Rrrr

Reaction score
The guideline favos are well worth a look for around that price or slightly more.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

wetwader

Reaction score
Didn’t see it Rennie,
but the Danielsson Original 2W would have been a perfect fit in rod-reel balance too, if you are talking about your Airtec #7, although a little more expensive.
What I love with the Original series is its resistance forwards, pretending the spool to turn in line when casting with a hard stop. Even more relevant for Switch rods with its intended use for a stealthy approach and precision. Nothing worse when the line is becoming shorter cast for cast....

Good luck and tight lines with your new setup !

Isisalar

Reaction score
This sort of thread is always popular!.As some of you may have clocked, been looking for a reel for my new Switch rod.Not wanting to spends wads of cash, so been looking at the Maxcatch Classic reel, for less than £100.Any way, uuummmed n aaahhhed for a while, but still kept on surfing around, fully expecting a second hand purchase in the end.I decided against the Maxcatch purely if something go's wrong and the distance involved etc., but got some great feed back from here on the forum and as the brand establish's itself and its reputation grows its a decision that will be easier to make in favour of Maxcatch.
So, after 2 weeks of t'interweb rummaging and surfings, I found a Scierra Traxion 2 in 8ten for just over £80 from a uk seller (tackle dealer), brand spanker, a reel I have looked at for some time, but again just wondered.Arrived this morning and it looks great.Lovely finish, well made, wide range of drag setting(micro adjustable drag!) with a rim drag adjustment and fully sealed. Wide, large arbour spool, again something I favour! .Capacity says 230 yds 30lb and a WF 9. I'll be loading the reel with a 40yd 8 weight Airflo 40+ floater and expect 150yds of 30lb backing.Reels rarely give what the blurb says!.It's a silent retrieve, but a discreet outgoing check(which I tend to favour), looks well presented and well engineered.
Now I've two other "Switch" reels, its slightly larger (not by much) so would certainly suit the larger switch outfits, balances my Airflo just fine.Comes with the now obligatory neoprene case and tool for switching winding hand orientation.
It's to be loaded and fettled yet (waiting for new backing to arrive!) but as soon as it's ready I'll pass on further info.
Currently doing cheshire cat impersonations!, Pedro.
Well, well, just been on the exact same journey and also ended up with a scierra 2 traxion (7-9) to match my new Norris Ni1 #7/8 switch rod.
Any thoughts on the new reel yet? Mine should be arriving in the next few days.

Rennie

Reaction score
As I type this Isisalar, the reels sat on my desk with the fly line and a new 500yds of backing and its going to be fettled this avery afternoon, hopefully for a trip this week.As all this rain has carefully circumnavigated the Ribble catchment, once more it could be a fruitless session of casting practise!
Pedro.

Rennie

Reaction score
Just finished setting up the reel and line.As said, I purchased the 8ten reel, the smallest of the Salmon sized Traxion 2 reels.Now due to an admin error (numpty feature's here ordered 20lb braided backing instead of 30lb braided backing!) the backing quotes from the manufacturers will be out a bit.So I fitted an Airflo 8 weight 40+ Extreme 40yd floating line and roughly 200yds of 20lb Dacron backing.I would have expected 150 yds of 30lb or there about.
Not unduly worried about the backing B.S., as with it being a 7 weight switch rod, I doubt I'll be fishing much over 15lb Seaguar at the most, probably mainly the 13.5 lb Seaguar will be favoured cast material, also I'll be surprised if many fish clear all 40yds of flyline off the reel(but you never know and fingers crossed).
With no line out of the tip ring, it balances well.Just add fish to taste!
Pedro,

larry_grayson

Reaction score
Can I ask why the Traxion 2 when similar sized reels in the Traxion 1 & 3 ranges are much lighter?

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
In one?, brass!.Two is a better reel than One and Three is a better reel than Two,
Personally I didn't want to spend more than £100 tops, which counted the Three out, and paying sub £90 for the Two I was pleased enough.
Just had the rod up, reel on and line through the guides and its a perfect match balance wise!
I'm pleased enough, but there's always something better somewhere I suppose.
Just checked and I paid £84 delivered, so no grumbles from me!
Pedro.

P.S and mines the 8Ten size which falls between the two sizings of the One and Three in 7/9 and 9/11

Last edited:

larry_grayson

Reaction score
That's great thanks. I asked because I'm in the same boat. I have a Lamson Velocity 3.5 for my switch rod but I also have a 12' 6" short double hander and I'm struggling to find a reel to match it. I've looked at the Danielsson H5D and may end up with one but it is a significant amount of cash for a reel
without ever having handled one.

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
In that case larry grayson, I'd recommend the Traxion 2 in 8Ten, it should be absolutely perfect for your needs. I got the last reel at sub £90, but scout e-bay etc and you should source a brand spanker for sub £100.Don't get me wrong, the Danilesson is the far better reel, but for the money the Traxion looks good enough and the rim drag adjustment makes perfect sense!
Pedro.
p.s. its being used on an 11ft 3 ins rod, so balance out of the box and fettled with line should be right there where you want it!

larry_grayson

Reaction score
Well you convinced me to give the Traxion a spin, well you and Foxons selling the Traxion 3 7/9 at £75 plus p&p.
We Yorkies must stick together.

Last edited: