New rod

glenelg100

Reaction score
It was my birthday recently, I was thinking of a B&W 14ft rod. I have looked at them online and really like the look of them, I also like the idea that you can pick some of the rod features yourself , it would make it that wee bit special, any reviews etc, that I have read all seem to be good. My concern is I wouldn't like to buy a rod with too much of an action change from what I already have, as I feel I have been making decent progress, I don't mind a small difference, so the question I'm asking is which B&W would you guys recon has a similar action to the Hardy Marksman T.
Thank you for any advice given
Ian

rs2ford

Reaction score
It was my birthday recently, I was thinking of a B&W 14ft rod. I have looked at them online and really like the look of them, I also like the idea that you can pick some of the rod features yourself , it would make it that wee bit special, any reviews etc, that I have read all seem to be good. My concern is I wouldn't like to buy a rod with too much of an action change from what I already have, as I feel I have been making decent progress, I don't mind a small difference, so the question I'm asking is which B&W would you guys recon has a similar action to the Hardy Marksman T.
Ian

Hi Ian,
the 14ft Norway is far more powerful and has more of a middle to tip action compared to your Marksman T which is more through. I would suggest the Walker series as a good replacement (especially the 13'6" 8wt), but as always it is better if you can try before you buy. Bear in mind that most B&W rods can handle a line size up.
If you phone Kay at B&W and explain what you want they will look after you. They will also send you a demo to try before you commit to buying.
Cheers Diarmid.

Andy R

Reaction score
mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border
I'd go for the 14ft #7-10 Powerlite Speycaster, I always liked the Powerlite series of rods, I almost regret getting rid of a 12'4'' but I had two other twelve footers at the time ( now I've a four piece T&T) so it wasn't getting used.....

I've still got a 14ft Shooting Head rod, which is a beast, great on a windy day of a bigger river..... the Norway were nice, but not as nice as the Powerlite. #7-10 should give you a lovely rod for an #8 line....

Lamson v10

Reaction score
MikeCC has a cracking one for sale in the classifieds although only 13ft

Chicharito

Reaction score
I love my Bruce and Walker rods . I have 9 of them !
Give them a ring they are very approachable !
Once you have decided what you want , order it through one of the stockists because that way it's cheaper.
eg. Mortimers of speyside. Fawcetts etc....
If you want a different colour that's no problem. ( check out the the website for details). I prefer polished carbon myself and have 3 rods in this finish. You can also decide on colour of whippings and various other options so you can have a personalised rod .
The only things that cost extra are if you have an inscription or gold or silver tippings on your whipping etc..
You can email them or ring them at any time if you want to change anything.
It normally takes about 12 weeks for your order to be complete.
Also if you break it you can always get it repaired unlike most other makes of rods.
They will also repair other makes of rod. I have recently had a Hardy Swift mk 2 repaired by them.

Chicharito

Reaction score
Here's a couple of rods they made for me , a 14ft Shooting head and a 10ft 4pce multispin.

Attachments

• Paul Edwards 005 (Medium).jpg
    Paul Edwards 005 (Medium).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 506
  • Paul Edwards 4p MS 004 (Medium).jpg
    Paul Edwards 4p MS 004 (Medium).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 532

gradun

Reaction score
Ian

I bought a second hand 14ft Norway about a year ago Ian. I don't think I will ever sell this rod. I think it is fabulous. I have used lines from 38gr up to a 44gr DTX shooting head. It handles them all with ease. It is light, weighing 9.2 oz. It feels powerful with a lovely progressive action and feel. It casts pretty effortlessly. Just don't force them, it's def a case of letting the rod do the work!
The 14ft Hardy Uniqua I sold just did not have the same lovely progressive feel to it as this rod does.
Highly recommended!

Last edited:

simoncassidy

Reaction score
Hi Ian, I doubt you will find fault with any of the B&W rods,I have three of the Norway family a 13ft #7-9,the 14ft#9 and the 15ft#9-10 for me the gem of the family is the 13ft Norway,I got rid of a 13`6" Hardy Zenith because I prefered the 13ft Norway.I do have a 15`1" Zenith I think is the ultimate beast for big river and big fish but the 15ft Norway is no walkover.