New Reel - Direct Drive or Anti-Reverse?

Fruin

Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting a new reel for a while. I have a few modern reels but generally revert back to my Hardy Marquis, occasionally my Guideline Haze.
I am seriously considering getting a Danielsson reel for my 'go to' shooting head reel for 9 to 11 weight shooting heads.
I just can't make my mind up if I should go for the direct drive H5D series or the anti-reverse Control series. All of my current reels are direct drive and I worry that the anti-reverse Control may just be too much to think about while playing a fish.
Has anybody got any experience of the Danielsson reels and / or any opinions on whether anti-reverse offers any real (excuse the pun) benefits?

jimmylong

Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting a new reel for a while. I have a few modern reels but generally revert back to my Hardy Marquis, occasionally my Guideline Haze.
I am seriously considering getting a Danielsson reel for my 'go to' shooting head reel for 9 to 11 weight shooting heads.
I just can't make my mind up if I should go for the direct drive H5D series or the anti-reverse Control series. All of my current reels are direct drive and I worry that the anti-reverse Control may just be too much to think about while playing a fish.
Has anybody got any experience of the Danielsson reels and / or any opinions on whether anti-reverse offers any real (excuse the pun) benefits?

I have owned both , i sent the control back as i didnt like it but cant fault the h5d

paddymc

Reaction score

Let the necessary weight required to balance your rods be the deciding factor. The single thing that has put me off these is their lack of weight, apart from the control series that is.

Fruin

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've just ordered the H5D. The "Control" was not working out too much more expensive, as the postage seems to be free when you go over a certain purchase price. I just felt that the anti-reverse was more function than I needed, and possibly more than I wanted.

charlieH

Reaction score
I just felt that the anti-reverse was more function than I needed, and possibly more than I wanted.

As a fellow Marquis user, I'm not surprised! As I've said here before, I think that modern high-tech reels can take some of the fun out of playing the modest-sized fish that most of us catch most of the time.

I have a Danielsson H5D 11fourteen, which is a great piece of kit and which, like you, I use for shooting heads - the speed of line recovery is a benefit if there is a lot of running line to recover when a fish takes. But realistically the disc drag is more than I really need, and I tend to keep it set quite loose and palm the rim, just as I do with the Marquises.

The anti-reverse mechanism is no doubt a terrific piece of engineering, and there's a bit of me that thinks it would be nice to have something like that in the armoury, in case I get an opportunity to go chasing some serious saltwater gamefish. But it seems to me hugely over-spec'ed for UK salmon fishing.

apd13

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've just ordered the H5D. The "Control" was not working out too much more expensive, as the postage seems to be free when you go over a certain purchase price. I just felt that the anti-reverse was more function than I needed, and possibly more than I wanted.

Snap. Hope it arrives tomorrow!

bassfly

Reaction score
I have both sizes of H5D reel and its the best money I have spent on reels apart that from the Control 7twelve which is a superb piece of kit. I will say that the Control does not come into its own in this country but when you hook into a 30lb Chinook with the sole intention of returning to the salt then it comes into its own. I've used both direct drive and the anti reverse of the Control which was purchased to stop me losing my knuckles. It takes a bit of getting used to but once mastered its a dream to use.

westie4566

Reaction score
I have both sizes of H5D reel and its the best money I have spent on reels apart that from the Control 7twelve which is a superb piece of kit. I will say that the Control does not come into its own in this country but when you hook into a 30lb Chinook with the sole intention of returning to the salt then it comes into its own. I've used both direct drive and the anti reverse of the Control which was purchased to stop me losing my knuckles. It takes a bit of getting used to but once mastered its a dream to use.

It's just a shame that the Danielsson kit (and Loop kit built by them) doesn't make a nice loud noise when a fish is stripping line......then they'd be bloody perfect:p:D In the meantime, I can live with the slight zzzzzz!

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
It's just a shame that the Danielsson kit (and Loop kit built by them) doesn't make a nice loud noise when a fish is stripping line......then they'd be bloody perfect:p:D In the meantime, I can live with the slight zzzzzz!

The H5D makes an adequate enough noise, the trouble is finding one big enough and fit enough to take line off once the drag is adjusted ;)