New Oracle II Rod seies

Finglas

Reaction score
I'm quite tempted to try one myself, doesn't seem to be much info around online about them at all.

paddymc

Reaction score
Was expecting Shakespeare to put out a few videos, as with the last ones, but, nothing.

chriswjx

Reaction score
I will see if I can convince the lads at the Edinburgh Angling Centre to let me have a test cast with one on their casting pool once they get the stock over from GAC.

chriswjx

Reaction score
These are now in stock in the EAC, so I'll try and find some time to head over and give them a wiggle.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Been told by a few people its the same rod just cosmetic change
They would have been daft to change the action of a rod that sells so well.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Jockiescott

Reaction score
One of the tackle shops here are doing a deal on a 12ft outfit at the minute...

Screenshot_20210708_124045.jpg

chriswjx

Reaction score
Question is, which rod do I try out? I'm going to head over to EAC tonight... Anyone have any preference on what they want to hear about? 😂

chriswjx

Reaction score
FOILED!

Due to the flooding they had over the weekend, they've moved all the test reels so I've been advised I'm better off bringing my own reels in.

Initial feedback from wiggling in the shop though, they all feel slightly stiffer than the oracle 1 range. The gram windows on them have all seemed to gone up by 2 grams as well which would agree with that evaluation. The blanks are quite a silver grey with a black reel seat identical to the originals bar the colour and with similar cork. The rating for the Oracle 2 14' Spey for shooting heads is 36-40g, whilst the Oracle 1 was 34-38g.
20210708_171520.jpg

chriswjx

Reaction score
Okay, had a cast with the Scandi 13'9" today. Line was a RIO intouch scandi outbound 34 g, reel Maxcatch Avid 9/10.

Firstly, the line ratings are exactly the same between Oracle 1 and Oracle 2, apologies for the confusion and I have cross referenced with my own rods to confirm (past and present). I am still convinced the Spey rods are a touch stiffer than I remember though, at least maybe a bit more tippy?

Secondly, the casting. A disclaimer to begin with, the casting pool at EAC is designed for single handers, so I was limited to jump rolls/roll casts with very tight space, making it a touch annoying to try and consistently land the anchor in about 10ft of water next to me, whilst standing as close to the fencing as I could to maximise space available.

Honestly, the Scandi feels very similar to the original, I don't want to make any assumptions about whether this is just a refinish of the original without actually fishing a day with them. Whether its just my mind playing tricks, I do want to say that the Oracle 2 Scandi did feel more responsive than what I remember of my last day out with the the Oracle 1 (it's the missus' rod, so I never get to actually fish with it...)

The finish does look a bit more glamorous with the matt metallic silver and if anyone is considering getting the Oracle 2 EXP Salmon rods they look stunning with a deep matt blue finish (not the EXP Scandi though that is just silver).

Overall opinion, if there are any changes, they're minute. The rod still casts like a dream and all for the RRP with no hope of a discount back to the previous price point for at least a while...

Tangled

Reaction score
It's more than likely the same blank. Greys did the same with the GR60 replacing the GR50.

Is it the same weight?

chriswjx

Reaction score
It's more than likely the same blank. Greys did the same with the GR60 replacing the GR50.

Is it the same weight?

That I was not able to check, and can't find out online. Will have to wait until 15ydspeycast gets his and we can all get our kitchen scales out to compare

hut pool

Reaction score
livingston west lothian or on a river 75mls from h
I was in need of a short Scandi rod for the odd smaller rivers so went into Edinburgh.A.C today to look at the 12.9 Scandi, to cut a long story short I walked out with a 12 ft Oracle 2 Spey 8wt model ,it felt more like a Scandi than the Scandi 12.9 did ,its a good looking rod with the new paint job ,the quality of the cork was also good , I'll dig out some lines tomorrow and give it a thrash ,:unsure:

NEbody

Reaction score

Is it the same weight?

Not so. The GR60 is Grey’s first fly rod “to utilise the tried and tested Toreon (R) nano technology“ according to their website.

Tangled

Reaction score
Not so. The GR60 is Grey’s first fly rod “to utilise the tried and tested Toreon (R) nano technology“ according to their website.
How can it be the first to use a tried and tested technology?