new member USA

steelguy

Reaction score
New member from the US east coast, but primarily fish Alaska, steelhead in the spring and coho salmon in the fall. Been doing that 25 years except during the virus, so it's anxious to get back there this coming September. Spend my days as an architect & general contractor, 51 years now and spare time tying spey flies. Entered one of my creations in the fly tying competition tonight, my first post. Loved looking at the photo gallery here and reading about everyone's great trips. Rob Wennersten

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Rob and thanks for your TOTM entry. I guessed that it wasn’t the first Spey you’ve ever turned out. Having now read your intro I can see I was right in my guess 🙂. Do you predominantly fish spey flies or is that just what you like tying?

steelguy

Reaction score
I do especially enjoy tying spey flies, love their swept back streamline appearance. Sexy! I try to sit at my vice and produce a fly every couple of days, I find it totally distracts me from work stuff. In all the 30 years I have been tying, I may have tried duplicating another tier's pattern 2 or 3 times. Of the modern fly tiers, I especially admire and am in awe of Davie McPhail's technique and unlimited skills.

Every year I say I'll work maybe another year and then say it again the next. But I have always liked building what I design which repeats itself with my flies, a release of creativity and good therapy for the brain.

I do especially like fishing my flies, but now that only happens twice a year when I get up to Alaska. That being said, if my buddy is catching on anything else, I have no problem pinching a fly from him!

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I do especially enjoy tying spey flies, love their swept back streamline appearance. Sexy! I try to sit at my vice and produce a fly every couple of days, I find it totally distracts me from work stuff. In all the 30 years I have been tying, I may have tried duplicating another tier's pattern 2 or 3 times. Of the modern fly tiers, I especially admire and am in awe of Davie McPhail's technique and unlimited skills.

Every year I say I'll work maybe another year and then say it again the next. But I have always liked building what I design which repeats itself with my flies, a release of creativity and good therapy for the brain.

I do especially like fishing my flies, but now that only happens twice a year when I get up to Alaska. That being said, if my buddy is catching on anything else, I have no problem pinching a fly from him!
Ah yes Davie McPhail - he makes it look sooooo easy! It might only br two trips a year to fish your own but so bet they are two trips that are well worth the time and effort!

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Nice to have you along rob,and here of your adventures and helpful tips,welcome mate👍...........jimmythefish.cart