New improved hitch technique....well, new to most anglers?

silverleapers

Reaction score
Hi Folks;

It seems appropriate that this "NEW" (LOL) riffling hitch technique be exported from the same little island that the portland creek hitch (aka the riffling hitch) was exported (Newfoundland)....So here goes...BTW very few anglers globally know about this technique...like....a handful! But its DEADLY! Solid hook-ups...lots of bone in the gap of the hook...just try it.

Here is a little something that was passed along to me by a 3rd generation monster hunter who has helped educate some of our better anglers here in Newfoundland and Labrador....he catches 30 pounders for fun (almost at will...grrr!) and can cast a full single handed fly line (wf or dt) with either hand in a gale with a big #2 4X shank bomber on the end (like casting a small styrofoam cup....also grrrr!)...and no, he's not ambidextrous..his Dad forced him to fish wrong handed as a child so he'd have to learn to use both hands! Anyway...here's the trick.

First use nylon...not that other stuff;)...The knot tests at near 100% of the line strength when using nylon.....oh and watch out for burred edges on the end of the wire in the eye on mustad hooks (cover any with thread and lacquer while tying your flies).

Take a short shaft sproat bend hook (ie deep gap) with a perfect or round DOWN TURNED EYE (eg the old mustad 3906 3999, 3399, etc....if you can find them!). Then use this knot after putting the leader UP through the down turned eye (if using a floating fly and fishing near the surface.... ALWAYS tie your down turned eyed hooks on by putting the leader UP through the eye).

The effect (if done right) is simple...the hook rides on the end on the line in a wet fly swing in a position such that it is tilted down on a 45 degree angle and offset on a 45 degree angle...the results of this are:

1) more profile of the fly facing the fish.
2) better and deeper hooking in the jaws....but ya need that deep gap short shanked hood mentioned above to take full advantage of it.
3) with the right water speed and hook size you can also make it riffle! Experiment with it...you can also have it "tilt"/riffle from one side or the opposite way....experiment. You can also tie the whole knot then slip the figure eight knot over the eye of the hook like a giant messed up turle knot...same riffling effect and double tilting effect....the knot often makes the riffle while the hook eye helps very little if any with the rippling effect.

JUST TRY IT!

(mods....a sticky?)...I have others...

Last edited:

minitube

Reaction score
Silverleapers

This looks interesting and I will give it a go as riffling does work here. We currently use the hitch described in Art Lee's book. We also use down eyed hooks occasionally (slightly down eyed) - the Ken Sawada black Spey - which is a great hook.

Last edited:

splash

Reaction score
Its an interesting topic for a lot of anglers wanting to expand there range of techniques so I have stickied for now as requested

iainmortimer

Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense to me for back in my carp fishing days it was common to use ‘bent hook’ techniques to achieve exactly what you are describing; assuming I understood it correctly.

SEDGY

Reaction score
Sorry, but can’t quite grasp what is being explained...... could you please post a photo of the hook and knot👍.... worth a thousand words and all that?