New hardy shooting heads

rm100

Reaction score
I have seen hardy will be bringing out new salmon shooting heads in september , 2D type & 3D .

More of a dilemma of what will be the best .

Pricing will be interesting although i think most are in the same price bracket now.

rotenone

Reaction score
I have seen hardy will be bringing out new salmon shooting heads in september , 2D type & 3D .

More of a dilemma of what will be the best .

Pricing will be interesting although i think most are in the same price bracket now.

Are they designed by frodin hardy needed and injection of ideas in their salmon lines imho

Last edited:

rotenone

Reaction score
Think you will find that accolade goes to Salmologic heads there is nothing to touch them

In what regard Bankwheel? they are good lines I own many, but on a large river casting long distances there are better lines, it was a mistake not to follow up on the zpey extemded heads imho, and I know many anglers who feel the same, might be something you could pass on,there is a reason guideline continue to make heads over 13 metres they are still used my many people on longer rods I personally can cast much farther with l less effort with longer heads, some lies can only be reached with such lines.

Minty Fisher

Banned
Reaction score
Think you will find that accolade goes to Salmologic heads there is nothing to touch them[/QUOTE

I dont think somehow that Henrick Mortison is in quite the same league as James Chalmers at Gaelforce .

There is a massive gulf in their spey casting knowledge and ability .

Not only are the Gaelforce Speylines top of their class their heads are as well .

I dont recall hearing much spoken of Salmologic at the recent Speyorama ..........

It was all Bruce n Walker and .............Gaelforce :eek:

bros

Reaction score
Most of my gear is Hardy with the exception of fly lines.
Imho they are well behind both gaelforce & rio and would not bother even trying them.

paddymc

Reaction score
Think you will find that accolade goes to Salmologic heads there is nothing to touch them

I have recently watched boys locally that are using salmologic heads. They were trying to cover loads of water with a head that was far too short for purpose and ultimately they failed to get their fly to turn over at distance.

Horses for courses I suppose, but they are no silver bullet imho.

rotenone

Reaction score
I have said it before they are good general fishing lines salmologic, but they are no magic bullet, trying putting a 2 inch snaelda on the end with two tungsten cones and making casts of 35 to 40 yards consistently with a salmologic head and you will see the short fall in performance , thats what I needed to do recently in russia to cover the lies on a flooded river to have any chance of catching you need a heavier head in the 12 to 15 metres range, or a skagit head for making such fishing easy with economy of effort.

HantsAvon

Reaction score
As well as the Gaelforce heads, Nextcast heads from the States are also very good imho.
As others have said, different lines will perform better in certain situations.
It will be interesting to see what the new Hardy heads are like.

neilfly1

Reaction score
I have said it before they are good general fishing lines salmologic, but they are no magic bullet, trying putting a 2 inch snaelda on the end with two tungsten cones and making casts of 35 to 40 yards consistently with a salmologic head and you will see the short fall in performance , thats what I needed to do recently in russia to cover the lies on a flooded river to have any chance of catching you need a heavier head in the 12 to 15 metres range, or a skagit head for making such fishing easy with economy of effort.
Just scrolling through theses threads as I am after a longer shooting head myself....
on my 14ft 9wt, I usually use guideline 3d+ heads in 37g which are great with limited back cast /tighter places etc But where I want more distance and have more room, I would really like a longer head, either ”3d” or multitip of 13-15m, but can’t find any that aren’t very heavy! On this rod 44g for a 60ft Spey belly line feels nice, and 36/37g shooting heads of 11-12m .
I assume that if I want a 14/15m head I would be looking at around 40g? But a little unsure... don’t want it to feel too heavy and clumsy, but realise I will likely need to go up in weight a little for turnover and shoot ability/carry of a longer head....at least that’s my assumption...
what shooting heads are out therein this sort of length and weight??

rotenone

Reaction score
Just scrolling through theses threads as I am after a longer shooting head myself....
on my 14ft 9wt, I usually use guideline 3d+ heads in 37g which are great with limited back cast /tighter places etc But where I want more distance and have more room, I would really like a longer head, either ”3d” or multitip of 13-15m, but can’t find any that aren’t very heavy! On this rod 44g for a 60ft Spey belly line feels nice, and 36/37g shooting heads of 11-12m .
I assume that if I want a 14/15m head I would be looking at around 40g? But a little unsure... don’t want it to feel too heavy and clumsy, but realise I will likely need to go up in weight a little for turnover and shoot ability/carry of a longer head....at least that’s my assumption...
Next cast salar finder 45 body and use 15 foot 9 gram tips

rotenone

Reaction score
You can go up in weight because of the taper of the next cast salar finder 8/9 or 9/10 depending on the load you like my gut would say the 8/9 plus 15 foot tip around 9 grams

rotenone

Reaction score
You can go up in weight because of the taper of the next cast salar finder 8/9 or 9/10 depending on the load you like my gut would say the 8/9 plus 15 foot tip around 9 grams
If you want longer the rod could handle the 9/10 but it would slow it down

neilfly1

Reaction score
Never even heard of them, I will have a google, thanks very much